Help getting started with Ultrastudio 4K

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

acusta

Help getting started with Ultrastudio 4K

PostSat Apr 27, 2024 11:04 am

Hi there, i recently acquired from a friend a Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K with a Thunderbolt 2 port.

I'm a bit lost about how would be the best way to plug it in order to start doing my video captures, as there is no much information about this legacy device.

I understand that data gets transfered to the computer via this Thunderbolt port, but i'm not sure about what would be the best solution for installing it in my video lab.

Is it only compatible with Apple Thunderbolt 2 computers ? Like Macbook Pro from 2011 to 2015? Or is possible to connect it to a windows pc with a thunderbolt 2 port?

I've been looking the specs of Intel NUC computers, i've seen some with Thundebolt port but it is not clear if that port is just used for monitoring the computer or if it acts like a data input.

Is it worth to buy an "old" macbook pro with this port ? I'm worried about the storage and transfer rate...

Maybe a NUC would be good? Or looking for an Asus like Thunderbolt 2 PCI card ? I'm just worried about being compatible with this BM device. I would like to keep working with my PC workflows if this could be possible.

Thanks for any advices !

Manuel

Return to Getting Started