Recommendations on Color Checker

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

kortina

Recommendations on Color Checker

PostTue May 02, 2023 10:20 pm

I was looking at getting a color checker, and surprised to see there was a pretty wide range in price on Amazon.

• Calibrite ColorChecker Passport - $150
  • Datcolor SpyderCheckr 24 - $50
  • DGK Color Tools DKC-Pro 5" x 7" - $17
  • Pixel Perfect Camera Color Correction Card 4x6 - $14

Obviously would love to spend less money than more money, but wondering what the quality differences / tradeoffs at different price points if anyone knows / has opinions.

Also wondering if there are any specific things to look for in a color card if I know I'll be grading in Resolve vs some other software.

tx

rNeil H

Re: Recommendations on Color Checker

PostTue May 02, 2023 10:53 pm

This is largely a case of where you find pain.

The DSC Labs charts are the industry gold standards but can run to $400 or so. Their paints/dyes are pretty exact.

The Passport Video color checker video can work well, but is still not cheap. I use one a lot and it has been very useful to match my BMPCC4K to several other cams in multi-cam talking heads shoots.

The others listed are much cheaper but can be more variable for quality.

So back to my original point: if you really need the most reliable highest quality chip chart for pro work, get one of the DSC options.

For say YouTube/Socials work the Passport will do OK. And it travels well.

You might find the cheaper options work adequately for your needs.

So again, where's the pain? Price or absolute quality? "We" can't help you there.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Uli Plank

PostWed May 03, 2023 1:15 am

We own both DSC and the Calibrite ColorChecker Passport. While they don't always agree, the Calibrate is acceptable. Interestingly, shot by an iPhone the ColorChecker is spot on for all targets. Maybe Apple is using those too? ;-)
BTW, if you might go for DSC, make sure that it fits the choice in DR's Match function (if that matters to you). They have a few versions and not all of them do.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

ShaheedMalik

PostWed May 03, 2023 7:11 am

This reminds me, Color Match needs Blackmagic Gen 5 added as an option.

Howard Roll

PostWed May 03, 2023 7:28 am

ShaheedMalik wrote:This reminds me, Color Match needs Blackmagic Gen 5 added as an option.

It's there as of DVR 18.0.1.

DSC Labs are the only charts, that I'm aware of, that reference 709 primary and secondary colorimetry. If you're just trying to match cameras then they're all helpful but the DSC charts align with the vectors on a scope which is useful for correcting real world offsets, if that's the goal. The glossy versions have deeper black but the reflections make them harder to use.

Good Luck

kortina

PostWed May 03, 2023 7:01 pm

Thanks all. This is helpful information.

ShaheedMalik

PostWed May 10, 2023 9:01 pm

Howard Roll wrote:
ShaheedMalik wrote:This reminds me, Color Match needs Blackmagic Gen 5 added as an option.

It's there as of DVR 18.0.1.

DSC Labs are the only charts, that I'm aware of, that reference 709 primary and secondary colorimetry. If you're just trying to match cameras then they're all helpful but the DSC charts align with the vectors on a scope which is useful for correcting real world offsets, if that's the goal. The glossy versions have deeper black but the reflections make them harder to use.

Good Luck

THANKS! I hadn't checked it since Resolve 17.

PolicarSI

PostThu May 11, 2023 2:59 pm

This is really helpful/interesting.

Is there a similar pocket-sized chrome/gray ball anyone could recommend for basic DIY vfx (in Blender)? Thanks.

robedge

PostWed May 01, 2024 7:49 pm

I use the DSC Labs Pocket OneShot Plus EFP Carry-On Chart: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... _test.html

I’ve just ordered Calibrite's ColorChecker Passport Video 2, basically because B&H has it on sale and I thought I’d try it out: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... deo_2.html

Version 1 and version 2 came in fairly quick succession, and I find the whole Calibrite lineup confusing at this point. Can anyone explain the difference between the two versions, and the usability or otherwise of version 2 for still photography? I’ve seen it suggested that the whole point of version 2 is to make the product usable for both video and stills, but I have no idea whether that’s true. Calibrite’s own website is unhelpful.

Thanks
Video Cameras: iPhone, Pocket 4K
Microphones: Schoeps, DPA
Audio Recorder: Sound Devices

mickspixels

PostWed May 01, 2024 10:43 pm

robedge wrote:I’ve just ordered Calibrite's ColorChecker Passport Video 2, basically because B&H has it on sale and I thought I’d try it out: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... deo_2.html

Version 1 and version 2 came in fairly quick succession, and I find the whole Calibrite lineup confusing at this point. Can anyone explain the difference between the two versions, and the usability or otherwise of version 2 for still photography? I’ve seen it suggested that the whole point of version 2 is to make the product usable for both video and stills, but I have no idea whether that’s true. Calibrite’s own website is unhelpful.

Thanks

Just guessing but Version 1 was probably simply Calibrite branding on the original XRite but otherwise unchanged. This appears to be the case with other products as well after the change from XRite to Calibrite. V2 has a new? set of 24 color patches and appears to allow camera profile creation (in Lightroom) for stills which was presumably previously only possible with the CCP Photo and not the CCP video version?

robedge

PostWed May 01, 2024 11:12 pm

mickspixels wrote:Just guessing but Version 1 was probably simply Calibrite branding on the original XRite but otherwise unchanged. This appears to be the case with other products as well after the change from XRite to Calibrite. V2 has a new? set of 24 color patches and appears to allow camera profile creation (in Lightroom) for stills which was presumably previously only possible with the CCP Photo and not the CCP video version?

Thanks, that’s a possibility. B&H also has version 1 in its “Deal Zone” until midnight tonight, presumably because Calibrite is trying to clear inventory. I’ll see what I can figure out from the descriptions.

calibrite.jpg
calibrite.jpg (119.04 KiB) Viewed 644 times

mickspixels

PostThu May 02, 2024 3:41 am

Reading the descriptions, the difference in V2 is the Classic target which is what enables stills camera profile creation in LIghtroom (and other compatible software?). V1 has the focus spiral instead of the Classic target. This is a good thing if one wants to create camera profiles as it saves having to buy a CCP Photo as well. Profile creation requires using a Lightroom plugin provided as a free download by XRite when I last used it.

ShaheedMalik

PostThu May 02, 2024 3:55 am

Calibrite Color Checker Video
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... video.html
Great for wideshots and closeups.

robedge

PostThu May 02, 2024 1:50 pm

ShaheedMalik wrote:Calibrite Color Checker Video

Thanks for the suggestion.

SalopFilms

PostThu May 02, 2024 4:23 pm

I've the DCS and I would be reluctant to use another just because I'm used to using this, and it works. No use changing for changing f*** sake.

ShaheedMalik

PostThu May 02, 2024 8:20 pm

robedge wrote:
ShaheedMalik wrote:Calibrite Color Checker Video

Thanks for the suggestion.

I use a diploma case to protect it. $10-20 off Amazon.

Return to Cinematography