I think I'm in trouble. Over my head per distribution.

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

wemrick1

I think I'm in trouble. Over my head per distribution.

PostMon May 06, 2024 10:25 pm

I am doing some "work" for a friend this June. I italicize "work" because I am not charging for this, not that it really matters.

She has decided she wants to distribute the videos we will be producing via Filmhub and she sent me their list of specifications. One of those specifications is 4:2:2 Prores. As I understand it, this can be accomplished by using Vocouder software?

I see that Prores 4:2:2 has a bitrate of 492mbps. Does this mean that I need to use compression ratios of B-raw that exceed this bitrate in edit?

I'm also hoping to sneak in some drone footage and those video specs are way beneath the 4:2:2 Specs. Is this going to cause a snafu?

I'm in line with all of the audio specs so no questions there.

I'm out of my element here. I thought this would be a youtube venture.

John Paines

Re: I think I'm in trouble. Over my head per distribution.

PostMon May 06, 2024 10:59 pm

wemrick1 wrote:She has decided she wants to distribute the videos we will be producing via Filmhub and she sent me their list of specifications. One of those specifications is 4:2:2 Prores. As I understand it, this can be accomplished by using Vocouder software?

If they're sticklers, they may not accept Prores out of Vocouder; the codecs are unofficial. Best inquire. If the answer is no, you'll either need access to a Mac or a Windows NLE/exporter with licensed Prores. Edius is one of the latter. Premiere too (I think), as of a few years ago. Somebody here can confirm, I'm sure. There are others as well.

wemrick1 wrote:I see that Prores 4:2:2 has a bitrate of 492mbps. Does this mean that I need to use compression ratios of B-raw that exceed this bitrate in edit?

No, any bit rate version of braw will suffice to produce a reasonable good quality Prores 422 program. And the bit rates are not comparable between the two, anyway. braw is much more efficient.

wemrick1 wrote:I'm also hoping to sneak in some drone footage and those video specs are way beneath the 4:2:2 Specs. Is this going to cause a snafu?

That depends again on filmhub. They want Prores 422 as the delivery format. But do they have requirements for the program footage? Typically, documentary work wouldn't, for the simple reason that archival material rarely meets current standards.
Last edited by John Paines on Mon May 06, 2024 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mark Wyatt

PostMon May 06, 2024 10:59 pm

They likely just want a Prores 422 master file, and the capture format doesn't matter (ie - the drone footage will be fine). This is similar to how most broadcast and film festivals work.

If you are on a PC Voukoder works decently in Resolve, or use Premiere on a PC to export Prores, or could a hold of a mac.
www.wyattvisuals.com

Mike Manus

PostMon May 06, 2024 11:32 pm

If you have a Resolve studio license then I believe you have a Fusion Studio license. At least the dongle version works; I assume the software key does as well. Fusion will output a prores file. I believe it used to not be able to include audio but does now, but I could be wrong about that.

wemrick1

PostTue May 07, 2024 12:46 am

Thank you Mike, Mark, and John!

Been floundering around on the web and think I found one way to get ProRes 4:2:2. I was able to export from DR in Avid DNxHR highest quality then convert that via Adobe Media Encoder to Prores 4:2:2. I'm guessing there should be no licensing problems with that approach.

Great to read that a bit of H264 drone footage should not be a problem once converted to Prores for delivery.

I don't know what I would do without this forum.

Uli Plank

PostTue May 07, 2024 1:10 am

ProRes out of AME is ‘blessed’ by Apple and should pose no problems.
And regarding drone footage, nobody will care if it looks good and is delivered as ProRes. We do it all the time.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

wemrick1

PostTue May 07, 2024 1:18 am

Uli Plank wrote:ProRes out of AME is ‘blessed’ by Apple and should pose no problems.
And regarding drone footage, nobody will care if it looks good and is delivered as ProRes. We do it all the time.

Groove! I can't afford 5K for a drone that outputs Prores and per my humble opinion my little Mavic 3 with dlog and an mft sensor puts out a nice image.

Uli Plank

PostTue May 07, 2024 1:23 am

Definitely!
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Return to Cinematography