Gimbal stabilizer for iPhone that works with BMD Camera app

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Mike Halper

Gimbal stabilizer for iPhone that works with BMD Camera app

PostSat Sep 16, 2023 2:02 am

I would like to use the new BMD Camera app on an iPhone Pro Max and with a gimbal stabilizer. It seems that most of the mobile phone gimbal stabilizers require using their own app. Does anyone have a recommendation for a gimbal stabilizer that will still work really well while allowing for use of the BMD Camera app?
IMac Pro Hackintosh, 10 core i9, 64GB RAM, Radeon VII, Decklink 4K Mini Monitor, macOS 10.14.5, DaVinci Resolve Studio license

Scrutinizr

Re: Gimbal stabilizer for iPhone that works with BMD Camera

PostSat Sep 16, 2023 3:34 pm

at the moment only Filmic Legacy and FilmicPRo directly support gimbals like DJI OM4 and higher. as an owner of the legacy version I also appreciate filmic 8/10bit luts for ios and android.

but this is just version 1.01 of BMCA. just wait and see...

Mike Halper

PostSat Sep 16, 2023 3:54 pm

I ended up ordering a Hohem iSteady M6 with the AI module last night on a lightning deal on Amazon. Is supposedly can work with any app because of the AI module, so I’d be able to use the BMD Camera app and have the gimbal still do its thing.
IMac Pro Hackintosh, 10 core i9, 64GB RAM, Radeon VII, Decklink 4K Mini Monitor, macOS 10.14.5, DaVinci Resolve Studio license

BigBill

PostSat Sep 16, 2023 8:57 pm

Yes, this!

Gimbal integration would be the killer feature for this app, just have to be patient as its very new.

Mike Halper

PostTue Sep 19, 2023 11:11 pm

The BMD Camera app does work with the Hohem iSteady M6. You can't use the zoom or focus features of the gimbal, but otherwise all the other features of the gimbal work.

BigBill

PostTue Sep 19, 2023 11:19 pm

I don’t get any response to controls on my Zhiyun Smooth 4 as of yet, but it would be great if it did eventually.

Mark A

PostTue Dec 05, 2023 12:11 am

Does that auto tracking feature on the Hohem M6 still work when using the Blackmagic Camera app?

Thurisaz

PostMon Apr 29, 2024 2:43 am

Hello dear Blackmagic team and colleagues,

It would be very nice for all those of us who are using the Backmagic Camera app if it has gimbal support.
I would love to be able to control this amazing camera app through my Hohem iSteady M6 gimbal.
The Hohem Joy app offers camera, but still isn't at the level of control and quality provided by the Blackmagic one.
Of course there many gimbals on the market and it won't be an easy task to be integrated, but still it will bring the app to the next level. Of course it will attract more users to the Blackmagic family as well.

Best wishes

Return to Cinematography