Re: Does anyone know SCG tripod?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

robedge

PostWed May 08, 2024 4:09 pm

[EDIT:] “Rose Yan’s” first post, starting the thread, has been deleted.

By tripod, do you mean the legs and head, or just the legs? Is there an SCG model that interests you?

As a matter of curiosity, is there a particular reason that you’re asking people who use Blackmagic cameras about a tripod for a Sony camera?
Last edited by robedge on Mon May 20, 2024 12:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Video Cameras: iPhone, Pocket 4K
Microphones: Schoeps, DPA
Audio Recorder: Sound Devices
Monitor: Eizo | Computers: Mac Studio, iPad Pro

Rose Yan

PostThu May 09, 2024 3:37 am

What interests me most is the T8 StediFast HD Carbon Fiber Tripod System

Jim Simon

PostFri May 10, 2024 5:05 pm

Interesting offerings from SCG. Looking forward to B&H picking them up.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

robedge

PostFri May 10, 2024 6:51 pm

Jim Simon wrote:Interesting offerings from SCG. Looking forward to B&H picking them up.

There’s practically no info on the manufacturer, Smooth Camera Gear, but it’s been selling tripods for about five years. It appears to only sell them direct. It pays for its YouTube reviews.

The SCG website says that the tripods are made in China, but are designed in Australia by people who "have been developing video tripods since 2003 and have created models that are among the world's best-selling video tripods”.

Lucy Marsh

PostMon May 13, 2024 10:43 am

robedge wrote:
Jim Simon wrote:Interesting offerings from SCG. Looking forward to B&H picking them up.

There’s practically no info on the manufacturer, Smooth Camera Gear, but it’s been selling tripods for about five years. It appears to only sell them direct. It pays for its YouTube reviews.

The SCG website says that the tripods are made in China, but are designed in Australia by people who "have been developing video tripods since 2003 and have created models that are among the world's best-selling video tripods”.

Hi Rob,

I happen to be acquainted with some people from SCG and am familiar with their story.

SCG started selling fluid head tripods in 2019. However, during COVID, their activities were slowed down due to travel restrictions, as some of their team members are based in Australia.

They resumed their campaigns actively since last year.

I know one of their design team members previously worked for E-Image and was responsible for designing all of E-Image's fluid head tripod lines. Some of these tripods have sold millions of units over the last twenty years.

Also, I forwarded your message to one of their management team members. He informed me that they have never paid for any YouTube reviews. He mentioned that they did send out a bunch of tripods for free reviews but only requested neutral reviews and never censored the content.

I hope this helps clarify your curiosity.

Cheers!

Lucy Marsh

PostMon May 13, 2024 10:49 am

That shouldn’t be far off, as B&H is sure to carry this brand. I haven’t seen any other brand that offers more value and features together than SCG.

robedge

PostMon May 13, 2024 4:48 pm

Lucy Marsh wrote:Also, I forwarded your message to one of their management team members. He informed me that they have never paid for any YouTube reviews. He mentioned that they did send out a bunch of tripods for free reviews but only requested neutral reviews and never censored the content.

I hope this helps clarify your curiosity.

Thanks. Yes, it confirms what I said. If giving someone a free tripod and fluid head isn’t payment for a review, I don’t know what is. The tripod and head that Rose Yan asks about above costs $1346.

I see that you and Rose Yan joined this forum on April 26 and April 27 respectively, and that SCG tripods is the only subject on which the two of you have posted. I also note that Rose Yan, who says that she uses an FX6 camera, has not responded to my question about why she’s asking about a tripod for her camera on a Blackmagic camera forum. That’s OK, I think I know why now. You’d think that people who claim a connection to Australia would know what the Blackmagic forum is and would be able to come up with the name of a Blackmagic camera :)

Lucy Marsh

PostTue May 14, 2024 1:36 am

Hi Rob, thank you.

Typically, companies confident in their products send samples to key opinion leaders for review, while others might pay for endorsements when their products don't meet expectations.

I understand that your main concern is whether SCG's product lives up to its promises. The most straightforward way to determine this is by trying the product yourself. SCG offers a 30-day trial policy, which you can utilize. Test it out and see if it meets your expectations. If it doesn’t, you can easily return it.

And this trial will give you a solid basis for any opinions you form about the product and the company.

Ellory Yu

Re: 2

PostSun May 19, 2024 11:40 pm

Kind of weird someone pushing an unknown product and brand in this forum. I doubt it has legs to stand on. No pan intended.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Uli Plank

PostMon May 20, 2024 1:52 am

I regularly get samples for reviewing, but I have to send them back, and I always did.
Anything else for a product that's of considerable value seems a bit fishy…
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.7, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM
Sonoma 14.5 with 19b3 (sandbox)
SE, UltraStudio Monitor G3

Return to Cinematography