Flickering colorgrading DR 18 linux with NVIDIA

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

junklont

Flickering colorgrading DR 18 linux with NVIDIA

PostSat Apr 27, 2024 10:32 pm

Hello dear friends.

This time I want to talk about an issue that I've been waiting for it to be fixed for a few months now. I've been waiting for a long time, even until the recent 18.6.6 (in normal and studio version) update it persists.

I am an Manjaro user, I have a rtx 4070, and since I installed my NVIDIA video card (I used to use AMD) I noticed, that after about 10 minutes of using davinci resolve, from the time you open it until you close it, when you have a video in which you have touched something in the COLORGRADRING module, the video starts to flicker, at first it seems to be something of low relevance, but then it not only becomes annoying, but when rendering the video, the flickering remains in the final file, what I mean is that also the exported file has this ugly flickering.

Flickering 2024 example (video by me):

What did I do to create this video?
    Open Davinci Resolve, apply colorgrading to the video
    Wait 10 minutes
    then try do render and get flickering

Other Flickering example by old user:

I can describe the flickering problem as something like COLORGRADING is temporarily deactivated and then activated again.

I can dare to say that the problem is not my linux, and you may wonder why I say that, right?

The answer is that: After many attempts to fix the davinci bug, even compiling it using arch's AUR packages, I decided to use a DOCKER image I found, which is based on CentOS, with davinci resolve 18 normal edition. As one of my last hopes, I had faith in this method, so I installed davinci resolve studio there, however, the result was the same, after about 10 minutes my preview panel started to flicker, and this wouldn't be so worrying if the same thing happened to the final export file.

I think I have tried everything, I saw that some people suggested to change the version of davinci, and I also tried to switch to various versions of 18.6, but it didn't work for me.
So I have decided to write this little thread, looking for a hope to solve this annoying problem.

I would greatly appreciate it if someone could help me solve this dilemma.

Code: Select all
 neofetch
██████████████████  ████████
██████████████████  ████████   -------------------------
██████████████████  ████████   OS: Manjaro Linux x86_64
██████████████████  ████████   Kernel: 6.6.19-1-MANJARO
████████            ████████   Uptime: 7 hours, 4 mins
████████  ████████  ████████   Packages: 1929 (pacman)
████████  ████████  ████████   Shell: zsh 5.9
████████  ████████  ████████   Resolution: 1920x1200
████████  ████████  ████████   DE: Plasma 5.27.11
████████  ████████  ████████   WM: KWin
████████  ████████  ████████   Theme: [Plasma], Breeze [GTK2/3]
████████  ████████  ████████   Icons: [Plasma], breeze-dark [GTK2/3]
████████  ████████  ████████   Terminal: tilix
████████  ████████  ████████   CPU: Intel i5-14500 (20) @ 5.000GHz
                               GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070
                               Memory: 21277MiB / 47918MiB

NVIDIA-SMI 550.67 Driver Version: 550.67 CUDA Version: 12.4
Last edited by junklont on Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Joe Shapiro

Re: [BUG] Flickering colorgrading DR 18 linux with NVIDIA

PostSat Apr 27, 2024 11:50 pm

That video is 5 years old. Can you explain?
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.6
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1

junklont

Re: [BUG] Flickering colorgrading DR 18 linux with NVIDIA

PostSun Apr 28, 2024 1:20 pm

Joe Shapiro wrote:That video is 5 years old. Can you explain?

Yep, but it video describe exactly my problem.
The image was made by me.,

The flickering disable my colorgrading and it is applied in the final render.
Check now the new COW video

Joe Shapiro

Re: Flickering colorgrading DR 18 linux with NVIDIA

PostSun Apr 28, 2024 3:56 pm

Interesting that it’s the same problem as one back in v15. Has it been happening all along or has it reappeared? I’d guess it’s a gpu problem - perhaps caused by the Linux driver you’ve got.

I suggest you export the logs and Linux equivalent of the NFO file here as described in the FAQ. Hopefully Dwaine will take a look at them and see something amiss.
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.6
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1

junklont

PostTue May 07, 2024 1:15 am

Joe Shapiro wrote:Interesting that it’s the same problem as one back in v15. Has it been happening all along or has it reappeared? I’d guess it’s a gpu problem - perhaps caused by the Linux driver you’ve got.

I suggest you export the logs and Linux equivalent of the NFO file here as described in the FAQ. Hopefully Dwaine will take a look at them and see something amiss.

It has been happening since last year, it even happened after formatting my operating system, (but this error only happens in linux), and now that I think about it deeply, it also happened to me with the old AMD card, this problem has been happening for more than 1 year, and it seems to have nothing to do with the kernel or anything.

Even when I use docker as a container to run my davinci resolve, the problem persists, docker uses CentoOS and I use manjaro, they are totally different.

So I can say that it is a bug in davinci resolve version 18+.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue May 07, 2024 2:41 am

If that was true, all Linux users with NVIDIA cards would have the issue. But they don't.

Many, if not most, large facilities in Los Angeles use Resolve on Linux with NVIDIA GPUs.

I would suggest, as a test, you build a system drive using our Rocky Linux 8.6 ISO, the link for which is near the end of the Linux Installation Instructions PDF that is part of the Resolve Linux download. Then see how that works.

If you still have issues with that, then I would suggest you have a GPU or power supply issue with your system.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue May 07, 2024 9:09 am

And if you could, a Resolve diagnostics log could be helpful. You can generate that from the Resolve Help menu.
Dwaine Maggart

junklont

PostTue May 07, 2024 12:20 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:If that was true, all Linux users with NVIDIA cards would have the issue. But they don't.

Many, if not most, large facilities in Los Angeles use Resolve on Linux with NVIDIA GPUs.

I would suggest, as a test, you build a system drive using our Rocky Linux 8.6 ISO, the link for which is near the end of the Linux Installation Instructions PDF that is part of the Resolve Linux download. Then see how that works.

If you still have issues with that, then I would suggest you have a GPU or power supply issue with your system.

Yes, I understand it, you have reason, but is very weird.

My log (this was the log I took earlier in my first post about this problem, I made sure to generate the log after the davinci started FLICKERING.):

https://nd.nl.tab.digital/s/AJCaKwmqwwYc2jm/download/log_archive_20240323-130011.tgz

It problem is present to my in Cinnamon Desktop with X11, and KDE with x11, and Wayland, tested in manjaro

And Also i want share my LOG from my dockerize davinci (From https://github.com/fat-tire/resolve, it use CentOS), the which have the same problem. (For generate this log, I've waiting for flickering and then I've done rendered of the bugged video)

https://nd.nl.tab.digital/s/L4yNQfxpTbdJ5gM/download/log_archive_DockerDavinci.tar.gz (I"ve packed it manually because it cant generate the compressed file)

Thank you very much guys !!! :D

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed May 08, 2024 2:44 am

Might be an issue with the install.

Please try this with what ever distro you want to use: (Make sure you have your activation code available!)

Deactivate the current license activation in the Resolve Help menu: Deactivate License

Then download the current Resolve 18.6.6 Studio version for Linux:

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/suppor ... ca57/Linux

Run the installer, and select the Uninstall option. This will insure a clean start.

After Resolve is uninstalled, run the installer again, and install Resolve.

Then launch and activate Resolve with the activation code.

If you continue to have flickering issues, please generate and send a new Resolve diagnostics log.
Dwaine Maggart

Paulos

PostThu May 09, 2024 1:49 am

@junklont - are you using Wayland or X11? Dunno if that has anything to do with this - but, there are flickering issues using Wayland and Nvidia - anything after the ver. 535 Nvidia driver - dunno, if that issue would impact this work in DR or not. Using the 1st iteration of the 535 driver or X11 supposedly solves most flickering issues.

Stephen Swaney

PostThu May 09, 2024 1:26 pm

I have been seeing a similar flickering problem with the version 19 beta messing about with the Magic Mask on Linux Mint with the nVidia 535 driver and X11. There are newer versions of both the OS and the driver, but I am currently in the middle of BMD's most excellent Colorists Guide to Resolve class so upgrading anything will have to be postponed.

I am tempted to try the official Rocky Linux.

Edit:
Just to follow up on this, I am beginning to suspect this is a problem with Magic Mask vs Interlaced footage on an improperly set up timeline. But that is a subject for another post.

Return to DaVinci Resolve