Cant play any media without crash

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

turbo2ltr

Cant play any media without crash

PostSat Feb 29, 2020 3:20 am

DR was working fine. Now I can't do anything without it crashing.

I filled up my internal drive. I spent the money on an external NAS and a 10gb network to go between the computer and the NAS. So the only difference is the addition of a 10gb network card. 10Gb network is working well. I can transfer over 1.1GB/s (to a ram drive)

I took my existing resolve data and copied to the NAS. Added the database in DR, no issues.
Loaded the project I'm working on no problem. The timeline has one big audio clip and 2 clips (just doing some testing) it plays fine.
But I go to the media tab and all hell breaks loose. If I click on anything in the media bin, and try to play, it will play a few seconds and crash. Locks up unresponsive and have to kill it. These are all braw from PCC6k. The clips play fine if you play them in the raw player.

OK I'm thinking I just wasted a bunch of money that it's not going to work over the network. I disconnected the mapped drive,and loaded up my original on the local drive. It does the same thing.

I thought maybe there was a linking problem. I relinked all the clips...it wasn't easy because just selecting the thumbnails can cause a crash.

Any clues? I'm dead in the water now.

One thing I did do that I reverted was set the "Resolve Media Locations" I had changed to the new NAS drive.. Is that advisable? I since switched it back to the local drive where it was pointing before but it still crashes.
Thanks.

DR Studio 16.1.2.26 on a fresh win 10 install.

HaveBlue

Re: Cant play any media without crash

PostSat Feb 29, 2020 3:44 am

Make sure DR isn't filling up your small drive with temporary files while you are trying to edit. Otherwise change the cache format, location or make space.
W10Pro, Resolve Studio, Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB RAM, SSD and platter drives, GTX 1070 8GB, LG 10bit 4K 32" monitor with two 20" HD monitors

turbo2ltr

PostSat Feb 29, 2020 5:42 am

There's still 60Gb left on that drive. I watched it while I was trying and was not an issue. I even changed the Media directory to a completely new location, no difference.

I did add a second monitor, so I unplugged one just to see if that made a difference. (no)

I can add braw clips that were in the bin already to the timeline no problem, they play in the timeline no problem, But if you try to preview them or view them in the media tab, it locks up using 30% CPU, no disk, no network activity. BUt the odd thing is the first clip you watch actually kinda works. It doesn't go south until you try to view a second.

I loaded an older project that had gopro source material. No issues!

So now I'm thinking it's a braw issue.(?)

I looked in the installed programs, and see that 8 days ago the NVIDIA graphics driver was somehow updated. (#^%$#&$ auto update, i thought it was off) Wondering if there's something weird going on there.

turbo2ltr

PostSat Feb 29, 2020 6:00 am

NVIDIA v441 does not play well with DR. Upgraded to the latest NVIDIA Studio drivers V442.19... and problem solved! Now to figure out why it updated in the first place.

Return to DaVinci Resolve