Plus sign to add Fairlight effects vanishes after 6 effects

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Lychon

Plus sign to add Fairlight effects vanishes after 6 effects

PostSun Aug 09, 2020 9:59 pm

Hello all- I've having an issue finding where the darn plus (+) sign has disappeared to in the Fairlight tab to add more Fairlight effects. In the mixer under each audio track, there is normally a plus sign to add a Fairlight effect, but after adding 6 effects, the plus sign disappears (I guess there is not enough room to display it or something). This is probably something fairly simple, but I can't find where it has gone, and I'm sure that I'm not limited to just adding 6 effects (unless I am in the free version of Da Vinci Resolve?).

Thanks for any suggestions.

tlegvold

Re: Plus sign to add Fairlight effects vanishes after 6 effe

PostSun Aug 09, 2020 11:26 pm

Each track is limited to 6 plugins. Same for free & studio version

Each clip can have unlimited plugins.

Each track also includes built in EQ, Dynamics, panning, and pitch changes.

What exactly are you trying to do that you need more than 6 plugins on a track?
Desktop: 2019 Mac Pro 16 Core CPU 192GB RAM | AMD Radeon W5700X 16GB | OS X Monterey 12.7
Fairlight Audio Accelerator CC-2 | Audio Interface SX-36 | Audio Editor (FAE) | Studio Console
Mobile: 2023 16" M3 Max MacBook Pro 64GB RAM | OS X Sonoma 14.4.1

Lychon

PostSun Aug 09, 2020 11:51 pm

Thanks for the info- I'm moderating a vocal track. So far, I've added things like noise reduction, multiband compressor, dialogue processor, vocal channel, soft clipper, and de-hummer. I've also messed around with the EQ and dynamics. Was going to add de-esser and stereo fixer as well to see if that improves the sound further, but I guess 6 is the max. But I might add them to specific clips, since you mentioned that is unlimited.

Charles Bennett

PostMon Aug 10, 2020 12:40 am

Wow, must be a pretty bad track to need that amount of processing! :)
Resolve Studio 19.0b2 build 25
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Lychon

PostMon Aug 10, 2020 1:28 am

Charles Bennett wrote:Wow, must be a pretty bad track to need that amount of processing! :)

Haha, it's not- I'm just being somewhat of a perfectionist, since this is my first serious video project (it's for a YouTube video). The voiceover sounds ok without the processing, but the extra bells and whistles make it sound slightly crisper/cleaner, with less irregularities in the volume and such. I'm hoping that all the extra work is not in vain. :lol:

Edit: also, my mouth anatomy apparently is the worse when it comes to tongue/saliva clicks- I have to do several takes of each sentence and then pick the best parts to create a good final piece.

tlegvold

PostMon Aug 10, 2020 3:26 am

As Charles pointed out, less is more.

It's rare that a track is so bad you need that much processing.

Try doing the NR first and get as much of the hum, noise and such out as you can there. You can do compression/limiting in the channel dynamics setting, no need for soft-clipping. For De-hum I would drop the effect on the clip(s) and do it there, probably the noise reduction too.

If you're having problems with sibilance, try moving a bit further away from the mic, or turn it so that it's at an angle to your mouth instead of perpendicular.

EQ and Dynamics are built into the mixer, try those before you add third party effects, the built in ones are pretty good. That way they won't take up any of your 6 free slots.

Stereo fixer? Is your vocal track not mono? I'd suggest doing it in mono, and you can use the mixer so it plays back across L/R with a phantom center. Stereo manipulation is more for stereo tracks that are out of whack and need some adjustment. You shouldn't be recording your voice in stereo. If you have a stereo mic, choose either the L or R channel and put it on a mono track instead.

If you're just playing around and learning, try adding the effects to the clip instead of the mixer track, you can add as many as you want there.

Hope this helps.
Desktop: 2019 Mac Pro 16 Core CPU 192GB RAM | AMD Radeon W5700X 16GB | OS X Monterey 12.7
Fairlight Audio Accelerator CC-2 | Audio Interface SX-36 | Audio Editor (FAE) | Studio Console
Mobile: 2023 16" M3 Max MacBook Pro 64GB RAM | OS X Sonoma 14.4.1

Lychon

PostMon Aug 10, 2020 7:58 am

Thank you for that detail- I’ve managed to get quite a bit of improvement out of the EQ and dynamics alone, and the rest of the effects are all from the built-in Fairlight options. The sibilance is actually fairly minor, so I don’t think I’ll need the de-esser after all (plus it seems to cut off the ends of words sometimes), and the stereo fixer is also probably unnecessary (I’ve noticed that recording vocals in a fairly quiet environment where the source of the speech is constant and directionally balanced, it doesn’t appear to make a difference relative to mono recording).

I’ll experiment with removing the de-hummer/soft clipper and/or using it on individual clips. The NR and dialogue processor (and the EQ) probably make up the bulk of the difference so far from the unprocessed version. Thanks again for the detailed post!

Adriano Castaldini

PostMon Nov 02, 2020 6:55 am

A solution could be routing the track into a new dedicated bus where you can load 6 effects more.

Adriano Castaldini

PostThu Nov 05, 2020 5:31 am

A great solution could be Metaplugin:
https://ddmf.eu/metaplugin-chainer-vst- ... x-wrapper/

Alenz Atman

PostWed May 01, 2024 3:00 am

You can use this too, is cheaper

https://www.waves.com/plugins/studiorack
Alenz

DaVinci Resolve Studio 18