It's time for copy/paste Dynamic Zoom.... really

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

IsraEliteMedia

It's time for copy/paste Dynamic Zoom.... really

PostWed Jan 20, 2021 7:48 am

I am creating multiple versions of the same program and I need to do copy/paste of moves done by Dynamic Zoom. However, unlike every other effect in Davinci Resolve, there is currently no way to either paste the Dynamic Zoom or to save any presets of moves made.

Let's get one or the other please! We need this in Resolve and it feels weird not to have that option.

Thanks,
Erik
SYSTEM SPECS
DR Studio 19 B2 (2 seats) Win 11 Pro (fully updated)
13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K 3.00 GHz
128GB RAM DDR5
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Studio Driver 552.22

Erik Davis, IsraEliteMedia--Zichron Yaakov, Israel

Jim Simon

Re: It's time for copy/paste Dynamic Zoom.... really

PostWed Jan 20, 2021 5:26 pm

There is a separate forum for Feature Requests.

viewforum.php?f=33

Best practice is to search first, to see if someone already asked. If not, post one idea per thread with a very brief description of the idea in the thread's title.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

John Holt

PostWed Jan 20, 2021 5:43 pm

Hello

If you use an adjustment clip for your dynamic zoom you can re-use it and store it in a power bin. Just watch out for the keyframe bug.

Just uploaded a screen recording. Which is just processing

John
Windows 10 Pro
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor 3.60 GHz
64GB RAM
GTX1650 4GB :(
Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB 1000.2 GB
Dual Monitors 32" & 27" Samsung
BM Multidock
Speed Editor
DR Studio Latest Version Fusion Studio Latest Version

IsraEliteMedia

PostWed Jan 20, 2021 7:37 pm

Very helpful John! I hadn't fully realized that adjustment layers could be saved to power bins for reuse. That just might work as a workaround. Thanks again.
SYSTEM SPECS
128GB RAM DDR5

brediknight

PostWed Jan 20, 2021 9:14 pm

John Holt wrote:Hello

If you use an adjustment clip for your dynamic zoom you can re-use it and store it in a power bin. Just watch out for the keyframe bug.

John

John

Thats a nice workaround John!

But in practice, that is too much work for something so simple as copying and pasting attributes. One has to manage two clips and two Tracks for one clip.

But what happens when the client asks for dissolves between two clips with Dynamic Zoom? Doh! This workaround won't work.

Come on BMD, there are so many lingering unfinished gotchas like this in the edit page.... this is half done. A programmer might think this is done, and it demos well, but Edit a job with it and it fails in practice.
When was Dynamic Zoom introduced?

John Holt

PostWed Jan 20, 2021 9:36 pm

brediknight wrote:

John

John

Thats a nice workaround John!

But in practice, that is too much work for something so simple as copying and pasting attributes. One has to manage two clips and two Tracks for one clip.

But what happens when the client asks for dissolves between two clips with Dynamic Zoom? Doh! This workaround won't work.

Come on BMD, there are so many lingering unfinished gotchas like this in the edit page.... this is half done. A programmer might think this is done, and it demos well, but Edit a job with it and it fails in practice.
When was Dynamic Zoom introduced?

Thanks for the feedback but I don't think that was the question? I may be mistaken.

If you want a dynamic zoom as a transition you would just make a transition?

I obviously don't understand what you are trying to achieve.
Windows 10 Pro
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor 3.60 GHz
64GB RAM
GTX1650 4GB :(
Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB 1000.2 GB
Dual Monitors 32" & 27" Samsung
BM Multidock
Speed Editor
DR Studio Latest Version Fusion Studio Latest Version

kinvermark

PostWed Jan 20, 2021 11:36 pm

Brendan is pointing out a non-obvious practical limitation to the workaround. Adjustment clips apply to ALL video underneath them so your dynamic zoom in the AC will apply to BOTH CLIPS on one side of a transition - probably not what you want. Will work if you just use cuts though.

AC's are tricky!
Windows 11 laptop. Intel i7-10750H, 32GB RAM, Nvidia 4070 ti Super eGPU, SSD disks. Resolve Studio (latest)

kinvermark

PostWed Jan 20, 2021 11:51 pm

I would add:

"It's time for" .... the ability to save inspector settings of all kinds as a preset. And to be able to organize these in folders.
Windows 11 laptop. Intel i7-10750H, 32GB RAM, Nvidia 4070 ti Super eGPU, SSD disks. Resolve Studio (latest)

IsraEliteMedia

PostThu Jan 21, 2021 2:57 pm

kinvermark wrote:I would add:

"It's time for" .... the ability to save inspector settings of all kinds as a preset. And to be able to organize these in folders.

+1 on saving inspector settings. Agreed this would be helpful!!
SYSTEM SPECS
128GB RAM DDR5

Gary Goldblum

PostMon Sep 04, 2023 6:43 pm

Have they ever done this? I am stuck with the same question. I would think you could do a "paste attributes" with dynamic zoom....Augh!

Paul Fisher

PostFri Feb 02, 2024 4:28 pm

IsraEliteMedia wrote:I am creating multiple versions of the same program and I need to do copy/paste of moves done by Dynamic Zoom. However, unlike every other effect in Davinci Resolve, there is currently no way to either paste the Dynamic Zoom or to save any presets of moves made.

Let's get one or the other please! We need this in Resolve and it feels weird not to have that option.

Thanks,
Erik

+1
I avoid using Dynamic Zoom for this reason
WORK MACHINE:
MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2021
Apple M1 Max 64 GB - Sonoma 14
2 TB Glyph and other thunderbolt SSDs

PERSONAL MACHINE:
4 TB internal SSD

Joe Shapiro

PostFri Feb 02, 2024 5:51 pm

Yup. Hopefully one day the dam holding back “resolve usability requests” will burst and we’ll have a few AMAZING releases where we get all the polish so many have been wishing for.
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 19b2
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.4.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1

Paul Fisher

PostFri Feb 02, 2024 10:50 pm

Joe Shapiro wrote:Yup. Hopefully one day the dam holding back “resolve usability requests” will burst and we’ll have a few AMAZING releases where we get all the polish so many have been wishing for.

You know when you’re on the Deliver page and you want to render something 1/2 or 1/3 the dimensions .. in After Effects for the last 10 years you can put / and do the math division in the parameter box. DaVinci you have to get out a calculator and do it yourself lol. Features like that help with tedious repetitive tasks.
WORK MACHINE:

PERSONAL MACHINE:
4 TB internal SSD

joebelfiore

PostWed May 01, 2024 11:58 pm

How do we "plus 1" these requests so they get a little more visibility?

I'm in EXACTLY the same boat right now:
- making a slide show with literally 400 photos.
- every individual photo needs its own zoom-in effect, with a cross-fade to the next photo

I have not figured out any way to use ACs for this-- because they affect the OTHER photo below them on the timeline and you get a really ugly "jump effect" that looks terrible.

Being able to setup two different dynamic zoom 'presets' (or copy/paste them) would totally solve this problem -- one for the slow zoom-in, one for the slow zoom-out. Doing this manually on 400 photos is untenable.

Net net -- it seems impossible to get this visual effect in a situation where you have 100s of clips/photos because you have to do each one individually...

(would LOVE another solution idea for this!)

Paul Fisher

PostThu May 02, 2024 7:48 pm

joebelfiore wrote:How do we "plus 1" these requests so they get a little more visibility?

I'm in EXACTLY the same boat right now:
- making a slide show with literally 400 photos.
- every individual photo needs its own zoom-in effect, with a cross-fade to the next photo

I have not figured out any way to use ACs for this-- because they affect the OTHER photo below them on the timeline and you get a really ugly "jump effect" that looks terrible.

Being able to setup two different dynamic zoom 'presets' (or copy/paste them) would totally solve this problem -- one for the slow zoom-in, one for the slow zoom-out. Doing this manually on 400 photos is untenable.

Net net -- it seems impossible to get this visual effect in a situation where you have 100s of clips/photos because you have to do each one individually...

(would LOVE another solution idea for this!)

Unfortunately in a situation with a big slide show, you’re better off doing it in Adobe Premiere and just copy pasting scale and position attributes. You can even make a drag and drop preset and just apply to all.

I haven’t seen BM fulfill a feature request in YEARS so the world keeps spinning and we can’t copy paste Dynamic Zoom. Just my humble take. Good luck
WORK MACHINE:

PERSONAL MACHINE:
4 TB internal SSD

Return to DaVinci Resolve