Planar Tracker does not work

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

czukowski

Re: Planar Tracker does not work

PostMon Sep 11, 2023 8:22 am

I noticed that for Planar Tracker to work, even if you're just tracking, its output must be connected and rendered (for example, if you have your Media Out in the viewer, the nodes on the way there must have Blend value greater than zero).

The same goes for point Tracker node.

Blackzone

PostFri Feb 23, 2024 2:43 pm

seems like Davinci still didnt solve that problem with Planar Tracker. It works for me only if i dont use any effects before. No speed ramp or optical flow possible. In a YouTube tutorial i watched, the guy was using speedramp and planer tracker without any issues. Thats really anoying.

piotrek2555

PostSat Mar 09, 2024 1:52 pm

this same problem
Ryzen 7 3700x
18.6.1 - free dv
64 gb ram ddr4
win 10 x64
Asus b450 pro gaming
gtx 1660

GrimCreative

PostTue Apr 30, 2024 2:24 pm

So, I am on the M1 Max 64gb ram and 1tb internal ssd. Working on BM 19 beta. I am having a GREAT time trying to track some vehicles and making super smooth footage. It worked for some but other footage. I set the point and hit track forward and nothing happens. The app doesn't freeze but if I try to mess with the tracker THEN it freezes the app. So to avoid freezing I went back to the main timeline and reverted the clip from a fusion clip to the original. Thats how to avoid freezing.
BUT still have a major problem! I can't finish the project...well I can it'll just look like poo. So what do I do? Well I tried proxies, that worked but for some reason after I made the fusion clips everything was baked in. So the footage was all blotchy and looked SUPER junk. So proxies didn't work. I ended up exporting all the clips that were being problem children (with their color grade and speed ramp already set)... exported in 4k, took them to a different project, then did the planar tracker there. IT WORKED. Re-exported them, then shoved them back into the OG project. FINALLY. Still sucks tho. Lengthy process.
Footage was 10bit, 60fps A7SIII 4k footage in slog3.
Some people told me to convert the footage to prores then try but idk how to do that, and need to do more research on that. I just needed a quick fix for now because this macbook pro has been great for everything except this... unless its just a BM mishap. Still looking at a M3 Max 64gb ram with 2tb internal lol. Write offs, am I right?? :D

Stephen Dixon

PostFri May 17, 2024 5:15 am

So this seems to still be the case in 2024 (Resolve Studio 18.6 / Linux). Adding a tracker to a MediaIn node that gets its source from a timeline clip will freeze the program. The workaround is to add the clip from the media pool, which means you need to manually trim it to the same start frame as the timeline clip (which would be a lot easier to do if Fusion showed clip timecodes and not just frames). :-(
Last edited by Stephen Dixon on Fri May 17, 2024 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stephen Dixon

PostFri May 17, 2024 5:22 am

Also it appears you get one shot at tracking. Changing the planar tracker and attempting to re-track seems to lock it up too. This is pretty shoddy.
Previous

Return to DaVinci Resolve