No audio through headphones in resolve

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

SinadShan

No audio through headphones in resolve

PostFri Apr 23, 2021 12:22 pm

I am not able to obtain any audio through headphones in resolve. I've tried using system settings and manual in speaker configurations in audio I/O under preferences. Audio is fine if no headphones are plugged in.

Another thing I noticed is that when using manual speaker configuration for headphones under preferences, the mixer doesn't show any signs of audio whereas using system settings, I can see levels changing but no audio through the headphones anyway. Sorry if I am unclear, I am not so good with audio-related stuff. Thanks in advance!

RogersPhotography

Re: No audio through headphones in resolve

PostFri Apr 23, 2021 2:26 pm

Just out of curiosity: Do you have an Nvidia GPU and recently updated the drivers? If so, you're issue may be just that. I accidentally upgraded drivers to my 1050ti and forgot to uncheck HDMI audio which completely disabled my F & R audio so now I can only hear audio through my HDMI connection or bluetooth. Unfortunately, I've been living with this for just about 1 year with not solution. I even uninstalled the driver completely but that didn't work either.

Jim Simon

PostFri Apr 23, 2021 2:48 pm

Here's one way that should work pretty well for everyone.

Plug your speakers into a traditional audio jack, either form the mobo or an installed sound card.

Plug your headphones into the speakers.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Charles Bennett

PostFri Apr 23, 2021 4:36 pm

You need to go into Windows' Sound Settings in Control Panel/Sound. Under both the Playback and Recording tabs it should show the connected devices. Highlight the one you want such as the Realtek device and click Set Default.
I use the built in Realtek audio in the computer with speakers connected to it via the line out socket, which is usually colored green, on the PC. Headphones work perfectly out of the separate headphone out socket.
These are my settings in Preferences/System/Video and Audio I/O.

You can also disable the Nvidia audio in Device Manager.
Attachments
Audio I-O.jpg
Audio I-O.jpg (86.95 KiB) Viewed 17425 times
Resolve Studio 19.0b2 build 25
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

SinadShan

PostSat Apr 24, 2021 4:54 am

RogersPhotography wrote:Just out of curiosity: Do you have an Nvidia GPU and recently updated the drivers? If so, you're issue may be just that. I accidentally upgraded drivers to my 1050ti and forgot to uncheck HDMI audio which completely disabled my F & R audio so now I can only hear audio through my HDMI connection or bluetooth. Unfortunately, I've been living with this for just about 1 year with not solution. I even uninstalled the driver completely but that didn't work either.

Yes, I have an Nvidia GPU and I recently did update the drivers. But I am having no problems hearing through the headphones, outside resolve. This issue is only inside Resolve.

SinadShan

PostSat Apr 24, 2021 5:05 am

Charles Bennett wrote:You need to go into Windows' Sound Settings in Control Panel/Sound. Under both the Playback and Recording tabs it should show the connected devices. Highlight the one you want such as the Realtek device and click Set Default.
I use the built in Realtek audio in the computer with speakers connected to it via the line out socket, which is usually colored green, on the PC. Headphones work perfectly out of the separate headphone out socket.
These are my settings in Preferences/System/Video and Audio I/O.

You can also disable the Nvidia audio in Device Manager.

I already have the headphones set as default in Windows Sound settings. With the same type of settings in Audio I/O as yours, still no sound in Resolve through my headphones.

dev_willis

PostMon Feb 28, 2022 11:04 am

I was just experiencing this same issue. I'm on my laptop today trying to use some Bluetooth headphones. Windows and all other programs were working with the headphones just fine but Resolve produced no audio at all, though the VU meters were jumping. The Audio I/O preferences were all correct but I played with them anyway. Nothing made a difference until I changed the output device from "use system settings" to my actual headphones; then Resolve somehow played audio through my laptop speakers, which I thought was weird.

Restarting my computer and then getting the headphones connected before launching Resolve solved the issue for me. It doesn't seem to work if the headphones get connected after Resolve is already open.
  • Windows 10 Pro 22H2, Resolve Studio 18.6, Nvidia Studio Driver 551.61
  • Threadripper 3960X, RTX 3090 FE, 64GB RAM, 3x 980PRO SSDs
  • Threadripper 1920X, GTX 1070 Ti, 32GB RAM, 3x 960PRO SSDs
  • TrueNAS Mini XL+ 64TB media server
  • Mac Mini M1 project server

TonyGamble

PostMon Feb 28, 2022 1:04 pm

By coincidence I had the identical problem this morning with two different bluetooth headsets.

Resolve refused to pipe the sound to them instead of my PC speaker.

Like David closing and re-opening Resolve was the cure.

Odd.

Tony

Phil Tuggle

PostMon Feb 28, 2022 4:04 pm

Having the same issue here on iMac -- no solution yet.

Have gone to preferences and set output 3 ways - system settings, USB headphones (my preference of course), internal speakers -- and have restarted Davinci Resolve 17.4.4 as well as restarting the computer in all the combinations.

As with others, previewing the movie on Quicktime or VLC or other player, audio works just fine as always.
NO AUDIO although the display bars are jumping (so DR THINKS it's present and okay).

Will keep checking back here...with fingers crossed

Phil Tuggle

PostMon Feb 28, 2022 5:56 pm

SOLVED! (At least in my case)

On the right side of the Edit Page, the SPEAKER Icon slider was "X'd-out" AND the slider was all the way to the left as well.

Duh! What a DUMMY I am. Basics first!

TonyGamble

PostMon Feb 28, 2022 6:38 pm

Lucky Lad Phil.

Sadly not a universal cure.....

Tony

willmhunt1

PostSat Apr 15, 2023 1:18 pm

I know it's late but I have something weird that fixed it. I also happen to use FL Studio which gives me access to ASIO. Anyway, from the headphone options, I was able to select ASIO and that seemingly has fixed it. I know it's not a clear cut easy fix, but hopefully may lead you on a path to getting it to work if it's still broken

(I had the same issue of recently updating Nvidia GPU driver)

Philip_Abrams

PostSun Oct 22, 2023 2:04 pm

Resolve 18.5/Windows 11
Audio does not play through the Windows default device - it always plays through the speakers in the monitor.
Preferences/Audio I/O Output device set to "Use system settings"
All other audio sources play audio via bluetooth connected headphones.
DaVinci Resolve does not - plays audio through the monitor speakers only.
Preferences/Audio I/O Output device set to "Headphones" (which are correctly detected by Resolve) - audio continues play through monitor speakers in the monitor.

This request on behalf of the other folk in a shared workspace.

Thanks in advance
Philip

Philip_Abrams

PostWed Oct 25, 2023 5:00 pm

Update
Now on Resolve 18.6/Windows 11
If the computer is set to play audio through bluetooth connected headphones when Resolve is started, Resolve's audio plays through the headphones.
If the bluetooth headphones are switched off, Resolve's audio output continues on the monitor speakers.
switching the headphones back on does nothing.
Thanks
Philip

mwhately

PostMon Nov 27, 2023 4:36 pm

I have the same issue as Philip_Abram,
Resolve 18.6/Windows 10
I am using a wired headphone. If I plug the headphones in with DaVinci Resolve open, the playback goes through the speakers.
If I close Resolve and restart it, then audio routes to the Headphones.

IF I unplug the Headphone, it will automatically switch to the speaker, but will not switch back when the headphones are plugged back in.

swedishfarm

PostTue Dec 05, 2023 8:48 am

Had to make an account to post here - I had the same issue, but figured out a solution that worked for me.

I have bluetooth headphones with a built-in microphone, and when it connects to my computer, both automatically gets switched (so the headphones are both input and output). But some programs struggle with this, and using one overrides the other. So I connected a microphone and changed the input to that, and suddenly Resolve recognised the headphones as an output. Hooray!

Hopefully this can help someone else!

jimhughs

PostTue Feb 20, 2024 3:50 pm

I've struggled with this glitch for years and it is very annoying.

Today I seemed to find a repeatable and easy fix.

With Bluetooth headphones on and Resolve running I went into Windows 11 settings and toggled Bluetooth off then on for the entire laptop. After the back-on action, I got a resolve window prompt saying "new audio device found" and hey presto the sound now plays through my Bluetooth earphones.

Ta, Jim

stazi3110

PostMon May 06, 2024 3:22 pm

Hello i am having some trouble here i can't use the setting ,it's not letting me. I can't click on change output at all like it's all grey.... please help me
ps: i do have a free version is it cuz of that ?

leionaaad

PostWed May 15, 2024 6:25 pm

I GOT IT!! I GOT IT!

Or at least, I can add one more things to try.
I went to the windows sound settings and I disabled the microphone. I don't use the microphone on my PC, like...ever, so I was very annoyed that DR decided to use it for himself (the mic icon appears near the clock every time I start DR). So disabling it enabled my bluetooth headphones! Incredibru. :shock:

It's quite annoying that we can't disable the microphone in DR.

Return to DaVinci Resolve