weird sound issues in compound clips

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Rick van den Berg

weird sound issues in compound clips

PostMon Apr 26, 2021 7:39 pm

almost every time i'm working with a compound clip, or nested timeline, or a timeline within a timeline, i get weird problems with the audio part of that clip. Not only inside resolve, but also in the final render. It's very random and there is not one way to describe how it sounds, but to describe a few, it sometimes "repeats" the last second. Or it skips the first few miliseconds of the clip and the audio "pops" in, or it just pops randomly, or it skips a few frames with a pop. alot of popping i guess.

flattening is not an option, as the clips mostly contain track-based audio effects. (the built-in effects like the compressor or EQ)

If i re-render, it sometimes fixes it at certain parts, but it happily re-introduces these issues at other parts. At one point i succesfully rendered a file without the sound issues, but then it gave me other visual bugs. ( viewtopic.php?f=21&t=138419 )

So i put the 2 renders together in premiere and rendered one file from there...

I'm on 17.1 at a windows 10 pc, but when i tried it on a mac it was no better. It's also not project related, it happens with all kind of projects.

whaaats happening.....
Lumbergh-Office-Space.jpg
Lumbergh-Office-Space.jpg (10.29 KiB) Viewed 1626 times

panos_mts

Re: weird sound issues in compound clips

PostMon Apr 26, 2021 9:15 pm

I have the same problem, it happens with long nested timelines/compound clips that have more than one audio tracks. It started with the first betas of Resolve 17. I have seen many similar thread all these months but it's not fixed so far.

Jim Simon

PostTue Apr 27, 2021 3:55 pm

Rick van den Berg wrote:flattening is not an option, as the clips mostly contain track-based audio effects.
That won't prevent you from flattening, though. You can have a lot of audio tracks in Fairlight.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

bounceHouse

PostSun May 02, 2021 3:38 am

Same issue here. Two audio tracks and 9 video clips. One clip on one audio track has a VST effect applied. Plays nicely in Fairlight. Rendering consistently has that specific clip sounding stutter-ish, and the other clips were fine. Decomposed the compound clip into the main timeline, and the problem vanished. Annoying.
PC Win 10 Pro, 64GB ram; NVidia 522.30; dual monitor; RTX 3080 (10GB); auto/CUDA processing mode; SSD cache, separate SSD for data; Davinci Studio 19b2 build

Manda_Nodes

PostFri Nov 25, 2022 11:27 am

2022, Same issue here.
Timelines into timelines it's the fastest way to work multi-user on the television I work with.
it has happened even on timelines without audio plugins.
Please, this is a bug that needs to be fixed.

Spencer Morris

PostTue Mar 14, 2023 1:11 pm

Bumping that this is still occuring. I know I'm bumping numerous threads, but we need some dev attention on this as it seems to be a critical bug if audio is exported with stutters and errors. It has been a show stopper for us as we tested what the issue is.

PaulF9

PostThu Mar 30, 2023 2:57 pm

Same thing here, part of my audio clip is cut off, like someone says bye bye, but only one bye is heard. When I move that audio out of the compound clip there's no problem. Edit, I fixed it by re-creating the compound clip with the clips that were inside the final version.

Jeffrey Linneman

PostFri May 10, 2024 3:51 pm

Is this fixed in 19? Still encountering this on 18.6. Any best practices other than just decomposing before export?

Spencer Morris

PostSat May 11, 2024 1:08 pm

I've heard it is not fixed in v19 in another thread on this issue

Return to DaVinci Resolve