waveform sync doesn't sync these clips that do match

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Joe Shapiro

PostThu Jul 07, 2022 7:29 am

This is the rarer case: these clips do match and sound like they match to my ears - including the audio slate - but Resolve doesn't agree. The quality sounds fine so I'm surprised. Here are the clips:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=13p8hx ... p=drive_fs
Last edited by Joe Shapiro on Sat Jul 09, 2022 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 19b2
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.4.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1

Steve Alexander

Re: waveform sync WON'T sync these clips that do match

PostThu Jul 07, 2022 2:03 pm

Very weird. The only thing I can think of is that there is a very distinct voice from the camera operator that is not picked up sufficiently by the audio recorder which may make the two audio sources appear to be different.
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 | Fusion Studio 19.0b1 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

vmlabs

PostThu Jul 07, 2022 2:46 pm

I also have near-zero luck with audio sync by waveform.

I mainly deal with dialogue audio and my workflow runs through the externally recorded audio through a effects chain to clean it up, EQ, compression, De-esser, etc.

Even with repeated "clap" spikes through the clip and external audio to help sync, I can never get resolve to sync. I get there's likely a lot of waveform changes to the external audio track due to the post-processing, but visually in the waveforms, they are almost exact.

Maybe we could have an option to configure how loose of a match we will accept for the waveform sync. Like some type of acceptable threshold deviation. Like if we have a couple of clap spikes in the audio along with 96% match of waveform, I don't see why it can't do a best effort sync.

Another thing I'd love is an automatic elastic wave compensation option with synced tracks.

In some cases, I have long running video and audio clips. To the best of my ability in sample rate and video fps and drop frame settings to match the video source, after about 6+ minutes, I get a bit of audio drift that causes the lip sync to look weird.

The idea again that if there were perhaps beginning and end clap spikes in the audio we're trying to sync, and the waveform sync could be intelligent to look for matches across slightly different waveform durations/stretches, it could automatically sync to a user defined source track, then do the elastic wave stretch of the other track to automatically adjust for any timesync drift.

Joe Shapiro

PostThu Jul 07, 2022 5:28 pm

But I don’t hear such a voice.
Seems worth the devs taking a look since they were just in there working on related syncing issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 19b2

Steve Alexander

PostThu Jul 07, 2022 6:11 pm

Joe Shapiro wrote:But I don’t hear such a voice.

Lol - so perhaps the voice I'm hearing is from my neighbor's dog...

(the voice is there and it is also caught by the audio recorder, but at a hugely attenuated level that probably isn't detected by the audio sync algorithm).

Listen to director (right after 313, take 3.... clap ... the camera operator says "camera set" as best as I can hear but it is barely audible in the recorder audio but quite audible in the camera audio... Also, there is a lot of mechanical noise in the recorder audio that isn't in the camera audio. While there are portions of the audio that are definitely the same, there is too much 'noise' and other differences. I feel like the audio sync algorithm should be tweakable to allow for a noise threshold or something along those lines...

Anyway, I agree that it is worth BMD testing this pair to determine why they don't sync.
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 | Fusion Studio 19.0b1 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

Joe Shapiro

PostThu Jul 07, 2022 6:12 pm

I stand corrected! Clearly you’ve listened more closely than I.

Resolve 19b2

Uli Plank

Re: waveform sync sync these clips that do match

PostFri Jul 08, 2022 7:41 am

Might be interesting to try if this syncs with PluralEyes. I think they have a fully functional time-limited demo.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Jim Simon

PostFri Jul 08, 2022 10:27 pm

The sound quality there is very different.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Joe Shapiro

PostFri Jul 08, 2022 10:37 pm

True enough. I will try PluralEyes. I actually own a copy. Too bad it can’t make actual synced clips in Resolve!

Resolve 19b2

okiewardoyo

PostSat Jul 09, 2022 12:14 pm

Joe Shapiro wrote:This is the rarer case: these clips do match and sound like they match to my ears - including the audio slate - but Resolve doesn't agree. The quality sounds fine so I'm surprised. Here are the clips:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=13p8hx ... p=drive_fs

Hi joe, i have heard two of those files. Resolve is a machine, and for machine those 2 files are not same.
In my ear, those 2 file are not same. Just acent "Action" from woman then after that the atmosfere are not same.
So to sync this, use your ear. :)
action.jpg
action.jpg (172.81 KiB) Viewed 3343 times
Begin using Resolve in Mon May 02, 2022.
All of Software in the world are just tools. No perfect Software. Use it if it works for you.
Resolve 18.6 | Raizen 7, 40Gb Ram, RTX 3060, Win 11

Joe Shapiro

PostSat Jul 09, 2022 2:21 pm

Ok no prob! Seems there’s quite a consensus on this one. Though I am curious what PluralEyes will do. I just wanted to make sure this wasn’t not matching because of a bug.

Resolve 19b2

Uli Plank

PostSat Jul 09, 2022 5:41 pm

I'm quite curious what you'll find, since in my experience PluralEyes is the best.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Joe Shapiro

Re: waveform sync doesn't sync these clips that do match

PostSat Jul 09, 2022 6:40 pm

And...
drum roll please...

PluralEyes doesn't sync it either! Resolve is completely vindicated! :D :lol:
Resolve 19b2

Joe Shapiro

PostSat Jul 09, 2022 6:52 pm

vmlabs wrote:I also have near-zero luck with audio sync by waveform.

I mainly deal with dialogue audio and my workflow runs through the externally recorded audio through a effects chain to clean it up, EQ, compression, De-esser, etc.

Even with repeated "clap" spikes through the clip and external audio to help sync, I can never get resolve to sync. I get there's likely a lot of waveform changes to the external audio track due to the post-processing, but visually in the waveforms, they are almost exact.

They've recently fixed a bunch of bugs in this area - perhaps after my rather persistent requesting and - far more important - providing substantial reproducible test cases. You might want to give it another try in 18b6.
vmlabs wrote:I also have near-zero luck with audio sync by waveform.
Maybe we could have an option to configure how loose of a match we will accept for the waveform sync. Like some type of acceptable threshold deviation. Like if we have a couple of clap spikes in the audio along with 96% match of waveform, I don't see why it can't do a best effort sync.

Another thing I'd love is an automatic elastic wave compensation option with synced tracks.

In some cases, I have long running video and audio clips. To the best of my ability in sample rate and video fps and drop frame settings to match the video source, after about 6+ minutes, I get a bit of audio drift that causes the lip sync to look weird.

The idea again that if there were perhaps beginning and end clap spikes in the audio we're trying to sync, and the waveform sync could be intelligent to look for matches across slightly different waveform durations/stretches, it could automatically sync to a user defined source track, then do the elastic wave stretch of the other track to automatically adjust for any timesync drift.

These enhancements would certainly be nice.

Another that I'd love to see is the ability for PluralEyes to create actual synced clips rather than just aligned clips in the timeline. Or better still, to add a feature to take all the clips in a timeline and turn them into Synced clips.

See here for more detail on this: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=161857
Resolve 19b2

Peter Cave

PostSun Jul 10, 2022 3:57 am

These files don't sync because they are different.
The video file audio cuts out part way through and the audio file goes on longer than the audio on the video file. No waveform sync will deal with this kind of mismatch. Waveform sync absolutely requires the audio to be the same in each file. A partial mismatch will make the process fail.
Resolve 19.0 b2 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Joe Shapiro

PostSun Jul 10, 2022 4:00 am

Are you scolding me?
Clearly the audio from different mics won’t be identical. So no, sync doesn’t require them to be identical.

As far as the difference in length, yes it looks like you’re right they are different. The proxy file’s audio got chopped by a different bug in Resolve.

I’m not perfect. Neither are you. Let’s try our best to be kind to each other.

Resolve 19b2

Peter Cave

PostSun Jul 10, 2022 5:04 am

Merely stating a fact. There is nothing personal in my post.
I made no disparaging comment or mentioned ANYTHING other that a technical issue that I have experience with. I would expect those clips to fail to sync on most software.

It is important for the content to be the same even if from different microphones. Partial files are a problem for audio sync on most editing software.
If you posted damaged files for others to test then you will not get a meaningful result.
Was it the original or proxy that was not able to sync?

"I’m not perfect. Neither are you. Let’s try our best to be kind to each other."

Please show me where I was unkind or made a comment directed at you personally.
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Joe Shapiro

PostSun Jul 10, 2022 5:15 am

Perhaps I was in error in interpreting your tone.
Sometimes it’s hard to tell in writing. I apologize if I mistook your intent.

Several posts ago I said:
Ok no prob! Seems there’s quite a consensus on this one. Though I am curious what PluralEyes will do. I just wanted to make sure this wasn’t not matching because of a bug.

So I was surprised that it was being brought up again.

As to just stating fact - the sound does not have to be identical. That’s part of the magic of waveform matching. It decides what’s important and what’s not.

I’ve never written one of these so I don’t know the specifics - but clearly there’s some fuzzy matching going on and I wanted to be sure the match was intentionally failing as opposed to tickling another bug.

If you’ve been following this you’re likely aware that there have been several bugs fixed in this area.

Peace.

Resolve 19b2

Peter Cave

PostMon Jul 11, 2022 6:51 am

No problem. My reference to "identical" content was not implying identical sources but identical coverage of the specific area that requires sync. If the start and end points of the audio are substantially different the algorithm may detect them as different sources. It will depend upon exactly how much overlap of content there is. As I don't have the original clip to test I assumed you were trying to sync the file that had audio missing.
Waveform sync has indeed had many issues in Resolve so I get where you are coming from.
My sincere apologies if you thought I was being difficult.
Mac Studio Max 32GB

okiewardoyo

PostMon Jul 11, 2022 11:42 am

Peter Cave wrote:These files don't sync because they are different.
The video file audio cuts out part way through and the audio file goes on longer than the audio on the video file. No waveform sync will deal with this kind of mismatch. Waveform sync absolutely requires the audio to be the same in each file. A partial mismatch will make the process fail.

I agree with you Peter. Yes, these file are different for machine :lol:
In my eyes, these file different too. In my ear, the second one is really weak, and the first one more atmosphere there.
In this situation, using editor's ear is best thing.
action.jpg
action.jpg (172.81 KiB) Viewed 3076 times
Begin using Resolve in Mon May 02, 2022.
All of Software in the world are just tools. No perfect Software. Use it if it works for you.
Resolve 18.6 | Raizen 7, 40Gb Ram, RTX 3060, Win 11

Jim Simon

PostSat Jul 16, 2022 5:13 pm

Peter Cave wrote:These files don't sync because they are different.
Maybe the thread title should be changed to:

Waveform Sync Doesn't Sync Clips That Don't Match :D
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

simonreichel

PostThu May 02, 2024 8:31 am

Just came in here because I'm having a similar problem to Joe and I'm not appreciating some of you keyboard warriors' condescending tone. Any proper editor will know that camera/reference-audio and master-audio are almost always worlds apart and it is the specific job of an audio matching algorithm in an editing software to bridge that gap and find similarities. If I have the time to record perfect audio right into camera, what the hell am I audio matching for? At that stage I'd expect a timecode sync. Like Joe, I've gone and taken a few clips where Davinci was being useless to both PluralEyes and Premiere's internal audio match. Unlike in Joe's case, both worked. Davinci's audio match is a fig-leaf item that's in there to make the editing panel seem more sophisticated than it is at this stage. Not a problem for a FREE software, but I'd rather it be treated with more honesty and especially less schoolteacherly mannerisms in here.

Jim Simon

PostThu May 02, 2024 8:22 pm

simonreichel wrote:If I have the time to record perfect audio right into camera, what the hell am I audio matching for?
Better mic preamps and lower noise floor in the audio recorder, mostly.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Joe Shapiro

PostThu May 02, 2024 9:34 pm

simonreichel wrote:Just came in here because I'm having a similar problem to Joe and I'm not appreciating some of you keyboard warriors' condescending tone.

[description of how PluralEyes and Premiere do better audio matching than Resolve does]

but I'd rather it be treated with more honesty and especially less schoolteacherly mannerisms in here.

Thanks Simon. This is, unfortunately, a common tone in this group. I appreciate your mentioning that it doesn’t have to be that way. BMD seems fine with it though as they don’t try to steer or moderate such things.

PS Resolve’s sync did get much better in v18 and I have managed to sync 95% of two features with it.
Resolve 19b2

Steve Alexander

PostThu May 02, 2024 11:48 pm

"schoolteacherly" - I like that term :-)

Would be cool if there was what I would call an adjustment or 'edit' interface to audio syncing when a definitive match can't be determined - something that would identify partial matches and let the user select the best match and maybe do a slip adjustment. Could even be done as a helper function in the manual sync panel. Now that's just crazy talk.
Time Traveller

Return to DaVinci Resolve