Resolve 18 Not Launching on Mac

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: Resolve 18 Not Launching on Mac

PostWed May 08, 2024 4:23 pm

@Tomaz:

Resolve Clean Install Process for Mac

Note: This process is NOT for App Store Resolve.

If you are using a Resolve Studio activation key, make sure to de-activate the license first, if you can (In the Resolve Help menu).

After this clean install process, you'll need to enter your activation key again. Make sure you have the activation key available. If you are using a dongle, then this would not apply.

Start by uninstalling Resolve, with the Uninstall selection in the DaVinci Resolve folder in the Mac Applications folder.

Next, in Finder, rename the /Library/Application Support/Blackmagic Design/DaVinci Resolve folder to DaVinci Resolve.bad

Then rename the /Library/Preferences/Blackmagic Design/DaVinci Resolve folder to DaVinci Resolve.bad

Note: This folder may not exist, depending on what the oldest version of Resolve that has been installed on the system is. If this folder doesn't exist, ignore this step.

Note: the following folders are hidden folders.

To see hidden files and folders in Finder, press the <CMD> and <SHIFT> and <.> (period) keys simultaneously.

Then rename the /Users/USERNAME/Library/Application Support/Blackmagic Design/DaVinci Resolve folder to DaVinci Resolve.bad (Where USERNAME is your Mac user name)

Then rename the /Users/USERNAME/Library/Preferences/Blackmagic Design/DaVinci Resolve folder to DaVinci Resolve.bad

After all the folder renaming above, install Resolve again.

After you've run the installer, launch Resolve and the onboarding video will run, then the Quick Setup option, which you should do, then hopefully Resolve runs again.

If you are installing Resolve Studio, and were using an activation code, you'll be prompted to re-enter it here.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

tomcavalieri

PostWed May 08, 2024 9:18 pm

ROLVED!

I deleted all files from libraries of Davinci, uninstalled, reinstalled and it finally opened as if it was the first time, with the first setups windows, and is working fine again. Not sure what it was, but some corrupted file in one of these folders.

Thanks everyone.

gabebruhman

PostMon May 13, 2024 1:09 am

I am using the Davinci Studio Edition that i got straight from the website and it wont get passed the begining, it keeps saying loading fairlight engine. I don't know how to get my log for Davinici for someone to check what the issue is, because i cant even get into davinci, please help me.

Specs
Mac Ventura 13.6.1
Resolve 19 Beta

Username

PostMon May 13, 2024 6:28 pm

gabebruhman wrote:I am using the Davinci Studio Edition that i got straight from the website and it wont get passed the begining, it keeps saying loading fairlight engine. I don't know how to get my log for Davinici for someone to check what the issue is, because i cant even get into davinci, please help me.

Specs
Mac Ventura 13.6.1
Resolve 19 Beta

Hi

A good place to start is the FAQ.
There you will be guided in how to produce logs etc which are needed for anyone to be able to help you.
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=90190
Grew up with a Nikon FM
Resolve & Fusion Studio 18.6
MBP M1 16GB/1TB
MM M1 16GB/512GB TB4 1TB & 2TB
MM i7 16GB/1TB & PowerColor Vega 56 8GB

dyaks82

PostTue May 14, 2024 5:18 pm

I'm having the same issue. the splash screen loads and then the icon stops bouncing and triggers a crash log. I've tried it with 18.6.6, 18.6.5 and 18.6.4 and all do the same. I've tried changing the Davinci Resolve folder to .bak, as well as the config file and that didn't work for either. Attached the dblist.conf, resolve.log and crash_archive.txt files in the zip.

Looking for some quick help here. Thanks!

Dave

Specs:
2019 Mac Pro
Sonoma 14.5
3.2 GHz 16-Core Intel Xeon W
AMD Radeon Pro Vega II 32 GB
Attachments
ResolveLogs-20240514.zip
(5.29 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
Previous

Return to DaVinci Resolve