Davinci Resolve for ipad external monitor support

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

AllenL

Davinci Resolve for ipad external monitor support

PostFri Jan 27, 2023 10:37 pm

Hello,

I am an user of the ipad pro and have downloaded the ipad version of davinci resolve.
I’m trying my workflow on the ipad , all seem to work well except the external monitor support.

I’m using ipados 16.3 and it seems that Apple has adjusted the way Safari utilizes the external monitor - it is able to span the entire screen. However when I use davinci resolve on the external monitor, it remains in the same size as on the ipad’s screen, unable to utilize the full real estate of the external monitor.
I’m a davinci studio owner on the PC but would really like to move my work on the ipad since it is nice.

Can I expect this to change in an update of davinci resolve soon?

Ken.Rennie

Re: Davinci Resolve for ipad external monitor support

PostTue Jan 31, 2023 4:48 am

That I have discovered so far, there are two modes in which to use DVR for iPad with an external monitor.

1) Simple mirroring, in which Resolve’s User Interface is just duplicated on the big screen: Resolve is only displaying at the native resolution of the iPad. *Apple* is mirroring that to the external monitor, at the resolution of that monitor but with the aspect ratio of the iPad.

My iPad Air M1 has a wider aspect ratio display that the 4:3 of iPad Pro 12.9", so I have narrower black pillar boxes at either side of the UI.

2) Video Clean Feed (press on the display of the output of the timeline > Video Clean Feed > External Display:

Fills the external display at full resolution and aspect ratio of the display, in this case UHD 3830x2160.
- -
Because I have been asked this scores of times, this link explains how to access all the Resolve pages on iPads:
https://www.provideocoalition.com/unlock-all-the-resolve-for-ipad-pages/

Comments by BM’s Peter Chamberlain, included.

chrisduz

PostWed Feb 01, 2023 5:22 pm

Initially I had the same issue. IF you position your cursor at either corner on the external monitor, the cursor becomes a double diagonal arrow, then click and drag diagonally, you can resize. Works great.

CD

metawops

PostTue Apr 16, 2024 8:16 am

chrisduz wrote:Initially I had the same issue. IF you position your cursor at either corner on the external monitor, the cursor becomes a double diagonal arrow, then click and drag diagonally, you can resize. Works great.

CD

… but you still can’t resize the DVR window to fully fill the external monitor. Plus, the resolution of the DVR window stays as if it still were on the iPad display.
Like the OP said, I, too, wish that DVR would act like Safari and use the whole screenestate and resolution of the external monitor.

See attached screenshot from the external 1920x1080 monitor. No way to make the DVR window larger than this.
Attachments
DaVinci-Resolve-iPad-extMon.png
DaVinci-Resolve-iPad-extMon.png (443.1 KiB) Viewed 342 times

Ken.Rennie

PostFri May 03, 2024 5:09 pm

Aaahhh, dopey me:

On the iPad, the Video Clean Feed feature I mentioned, comes with the (in-app purchase) DaVinci Resolve Studio upgrade.

My apologies to anyone who was looking but couldn’t find it.

Ken.Rennie wrote:That I have discovered so far, there are two modes in which to use DVR for iPad with an external monitor.

1) Simple mirroring, in which Resolve’s User Interface is just duplicated on the big screen: Resolve is only displaying at the native resolution of the iPad. *Apple* is mirroring that to the external monitor, at the resolution of that monitor but with the aspect ratio of the iPad.

My iPad Air M1 has a wider aspect ratio display that the 4:3 of iPad Pro 12.9", so I have narrower black pillar boxes at either side of the UI.

2) Video Clean Feed (press on the display of the output of the timeline > Video Clean Feed > External Display:

Fills the external display at full resolution and aspect ratio of the display, in this case UHD 3830x2160.
- -
Because I have been asked this scores of times, this link explains how to access all the Resolve pages on iPads:
https://www.provideocoalition.com/unlock-all-the-resolve-for-ipad-pages/

Comments by BM’s Peter Chamberlain, included.

Return to DaVinci Resolve