Is there a ticket open for the broken color checker tool?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

ZRGARDNE

Is there a ticket open for the broken color checker tool?

PostMon Feb 20, 2023 11:09 pm

The automatic color checker tool has been broken for years. But it is still a common point of confusion for many new users.

Dwaine, is there a ticket open for this in your system, or should I request one?

These are the threads I found easily, talked about a lot on the Sub-reddit too

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=148764&hilit=+checker
"As you can see, the values are way off!"

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=148895&hilit=+checker
"Using the Color Checker node after the CST. Brings Cyan to where I would expect it, but everything else is all over the place"

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=152383&hilit=+checker
"use the automatic color matching tool in Resolve and get a result that looks ok "

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=172183&hilit=hdr+chart
" However, I'm getting some unexpected results - my footage has a greenish/yellowish cast after the color chart matching."

If others have examples, please add as well.

Uli Plank

Re: Is there a ticket open for the broken color checker tool

PostTue Feb 21, 2023 1:11 am

Get CineMatch (www.cinematch.com). Seriously. Or do it by scopes and eyes.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

ZRGARDNE

PostTue Feb 21, 2023 11:50 pm

Uli Plank wrote:Get CineMatch (http://www.cinematch.com). Seriously. Or do it by scopes and eyes.

I do it with scopes now.

I bought $300 tool that has this functionality, i would rather not buy another.

raynardwilson

PostTue May 07, 2024 8:44 am

https://www.reddit.com/r/davinciresolve ... eld_these/

Another discussion on Reddit about how this feature appears to be completely broken. Did it ever work?

Marc Wielage

PostWed May 08, 2024 3:42 am

ZRGARDNE wrote:The automatic color checker tool has been broken for years. But it is still a common point of confusion for many new users.

Very unpopular opinion from me (and I apologize for not being helpful):

Well tell students and new users to NOT use the automatic tools. You can get further just by learning to color correct manually. There are a thousand tutorials out there that will tell you how to do it all manually just with a calibrated display and scopes. Ideally, you'd have a chart (like one of the Calibrite or DSC charts), and you'd basically turn the knobs until it looks "reasonable."

Ripple Training, FXPHD, and MixingLight all have fantastic basic tutorials on how to start, and they're all BMD-certified Resolve trainers. Darren Mostyn and Cullen Kelly on YouTube are also very good.

The problem with the automatic tool is that it's going to flounder trying to normalize a Log-encoded signal, a shot that has exposure problems, or a shot that has color temperature problems. MixingLight did a whole series, 3 or 4 tutorals, showing when the automatic chart controls worked well, and why they sometimes did not work well (if at all). Under perfect conditions, it can work some of the time.

The automatic controls will try to find something that should be "white" in the frame, and something that should be "black" in the frame, and then make a value judgement on everything else... and sometimes that's a trainwreck. Patrick Inhofer of MixingLight found that if you do a custom contrast curve first, and then try the automatic controls, it actually works a lot better. But I would argue you can do a better job by hand if you practice.

I know this does not solve the problem of the automatic control being broken. But maybe it'll give you an alternate approach that will get the job done.
Certified DaVinci Resolve Color Trainer • AdvancedColorTraining.com

Uli Plank

PostWed May 08, 2024 3:46 am

And one day there'll be an AI doing it for you. Dado Valentic (and others) are working on it.
Sarcastic remark:
One day AI will even wipe your behind. Or kill you.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Return to DaVinci Resolve