Media offline but it's not

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

magirouard

Media offline but it's not

PostMon Mar 27, 2023 4:19 pm

Hi,

I have been working on a project since few days and everything was fine. When I opened it this morning half my clip in my timeline were offline, but it. wasn't in the media pool. More weird, the offline issue is random, I can have the same media on the timeline, with the same path and all, but one on two is offline.

I've tried everything;
- unlink and relink,
- drag from the finder into the project the same footage (it add it double),
- I have codec footage that are supported by Davinci (It's not the first time a edit with those setting) my footage is Braw 8:1, 4k in 59,94 FPs on MAC with Davinci Studio (I feel it's about the FPS, i'll explain later why),
- my Decode Options: H.264/H.265 using hardware acceleration is uncheck,
- my GPU Processing Mode is at auto.

I feel it's about the frame rate. I shoot at 59,94 to do slow down the footage. My projet is also in 59,94, because when i put it in 23,97 (which I want to export) it did nothing. So I put the project in 59,94 and the footage 23,97 and it works fine like that, but I didn't understand why it's working like that, I thought I was supposed to put the project like I want it at the end, so in 23,97 and then the footage inthe 23,97 to to fit the timeline.

The only way i'm able to put back my footage online is when a right click directly on the footage in the timeline and select "conform lock with media pool clip" and selection the same clip in the media pool. But I have to do it manually with each clip and it take me forever and some of the clip switch back to offline after too.

Can someone help me please?

michaeldvz

Re: Media offline but it's not

PostWed Mar 29, 2023 7:52 pm

I was having a similar issue with my media being listed as off-line. It has been random and sometimes occurs during rendering but doesn't show in editing.

Anyway, I ran across this in the forum posted under title "Media Offline" Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:02 pm from sworcester (I tried to post the url but I'm not allowed?).

"Right click on timeline in the media pool >timelines>Reconform from bins

Didn't really know what it did, and I hadn't seen that as a possible solution but all is well on that project now, I think"

I was able to correct my issue by going to the Media page, right-clicking on the timeline, selecting "Timeline" and selecting "Reconform from Media Storage" since I wasn't using Bins.

It did resolve my issues.

Yuke17

PostMon Jul 24, 2023 11:48 pm

My issue is when importing .AVI files they all show the red MEDIA OFFLINE warning for the first 3 frames of each clip (.MOV files are fine). After 3 frames the clips appear fine (either during playback in the Media Pool or in the timeline).

The clips play fine on their own outside of DR (am using 18.5). Here's what I've done in addition to the reconform tip:

Moved the clips from one hard drive to another. No change.
Deleted and recreated a new timeline. No change.

Trimmed the first 3 frames of the clip. Error goes away.

Obviously I'm not addressing root cause with my fix. Just a bandage for about 100 clips.

Thoughts?

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jul 25, 2023 1:53 am

Provide a link to a sample clip that exhibits this issue. Also provide details on your system.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Joe Shapiro

PostTue Jul 25, 2023 11:31 pm

And the drp of the project if you can
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 19b2
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.4.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1

Bob Rooney

PostThu Sep 28, 2023 5:32 pm

I have a similar issue where clips in the timeline are in the media pool and were linked the last time I used DR 18.6 but when I reopen the project, they show red.

I have attached an image of the issue and hope someone has an answer.

Thank you guys.
Attachments
Red Clips in Timeline.jpg
Red Clips in Timeline.jpg (352.56 KiB) Viewed 1864 times
Laptop Specs:

Purchased Spring '23 Running Davinci Resolve 18.5
MSI GT77 HX 13V
64Gig Ram
Display 3480X2160 144 hertz
Intel 13th Generation I9
Nvidia GeForce RTX 4080
Windows 11 Pro
3 2TB SSD

AdamGoldfine

PostFri Sep 29, 2023 1:35 am

Try turning off your render cache. If that works your scratch disk is probably full. Go to Playback>Delete Render Cache>Manage Cache Data, then delete the cache of the current project and any old projects you don't want the cache for or that are taking up a lot of space.
Been doing this since cameras went clickety, clickety, clickety, clickety . . .

Bob Rooney

PostFri Sep 29, 2023 4:28 pm

Thanks, I will try that but I'm not sure that's it since it is only intermittent and the disk it is using has 4TB with plenty of space left.

Bob
Laptop Specs:

Purchased Spring '23 Running Davinci Resolve 18.5
MSI GT77 HX 13V
64Gig Ram
Display 3480X2160 144 hertz
Intel 13th Generation I9
Nvidia GeForce RTX 4080
Windows 11 Pro
3 2TB SSD

Paul Fisher

PostTue Mar 05, 2024 7:41 pm

Ugh I have been having this issue quite a bit lately. Unexplainable and not reproducible. DaVinci is just not reliable in a professional environment but I like it so I still use it.
WORK MACHINE:
MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2021
Apple M1 Max 64 GB - Sonoma 14
2 TB Glyph and other thunderbolt SSDs

PERSONAL MACHINE:
4 TB internal SSD

Marc Wielage

PostWed Mar 06, 2024 4:15 am

If you're running into Media Offline problems, check these things:

1) are the drives listed correctly in User -> System -> Media Storage?

2) are there any potential filename conflicts with the source media?

3) be aware that almost all H.264 files do not have accurate embedded timecode, so that can be a potential issue (particularly combined with #2)

4) make sure the drive permissions are set correctly

5) check the file path on the Media Page for the missing files and see if you can force a relink. Highlight the files, right-click, choose RELINK MEDIA, and then choose the correct source folder.

6) if the files are H.264/H.265 10-bit, be aware that they will only play in Resolve Studio. (There's quite a few codecs that only play in the Studio version.) For a lot of reasons, highly-compressed H.264/H.265 files are not ideal for post.

7) it's possible only your render cache has gone offline. To ward against that, re-render the cache or just delete it all and then go to the deliver page and try again.

The key is to check the MEDIA PAGE. Look at the rows of media and check where the source drive is. Worst case, relink it all. We try to confine all the media for one project to one folder, so worst case, we'd lasso all the media files, right-click and choose RELINK, and choose that one folder. "In theory," it should just work. Sometimes, just closing the session and re-opening it forces Resolve to go out and check the drive and file paths, and then the session is fine again.
Certified DaVinci Resolve Color Trainer • AdvancedColorTraining.com

Paul Fisher

PostWed Mar 06, 2024 7:25 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:If you're running into Media Offline problems, check these things:

1) are the drives listed correctly in User -> System -> Media Storage?

2) are there any potential filename conflicts with the source media?

3) be aware that almost all H.264 files do not have accurate embedded timecode, so that can be a potential issue (particularly combined with #2)

4) make sure the drive permissions are set correctly

5) check the file path on the Media Page for the missing files and see if you can force a relink. Highlight the files, right-click, choose RELINK MEDIA, and then choose the correct source folder.

6) if the files are H.264/H.265 10-bit, be aware that they will only play in Resolve Studio. (There's quite a few codecs that only play in the Studio version.) For a lot of reasons, highly-compressed H.264/H.265 files are not ideal for post.

7) it's possible only your render cache has gone offline. To ward against that, re-render the cache or just delete it all and then go to the deliver page and try again.

The key is to check the MEDIA PAGE. Look at the rows of media and check where the source drive is. Worst case, relink it all. We try to confine all the media for one project to one folder, so worst case, we'd lasso all the media files, right-click and choose RELINK, and choose that one folder. "In theory," it should just work. Sometimes, just closing the session and re-opening it forces Resolve to go out and check the drive and file paths, and then the session is fine again.

This is insanely complicated for a video editor who has deadlines and just needs a software to know where the video files are . How did this get so messed up? I’ve never had any issues like this in any other software.

Do you foresee them fixing all this code so we don’t have to trouble shoot every single video editing session? It doesn’t make sense
WORK MACHINE:

PERSONAL MACHINE:
4 TB internal SSD

eppmedien

PostTue May 07, 2024 8:54 am

Oh man I had the same problem and try everything. I am on a Macbook Pro M1 and find the Problem...
So you need to go to the System Preferences and than go to decode options. There is a Check for"Decode H.263/H.265 usinf hardware acceleration"

OMG this is so stupid. I deactivate it an now the offline media is online :-))

hope that help someone here.

Paul Fisher

PostWed May 08, 2024 3:51 pm

eppmedien wrote:Oh man I had the same problem and try everything. I am on a Macbook Pro M1 and find the Problem...
So you need to go to the System Preferences and than go to decode options. There is a Check for"Decode H.263/H.265 usinf hardware acceleration"

OMG this is so stupid. I deactivate it an now the offline media is online :-))

hope that help someone here.

oh wow my friend I will have to bookmark this and try this, thanks
WORK MACHINE:

PERSONAL MACHINE:
4 TB internal SSD

Uli Plank

PostWed May 08, 2024 4:25 pm

I have that activated and don't experience the issue.
How can you work smoothly with H.265 without it?
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Return to DaVinci Resolve