Search Subtitles with Edit Index

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

kortina

Search Subtitles with Edit Index

PostSat May 20, 2023 4:39 pm

For a few shorter projects, I have chopped up long interviews into clips in a stringout timeline, and then set the Name for each clip to contain the transcription of audio spoken in that clip.

This then allows me to quickly jump to any point in the timeline where a particular phrase is spoken:

It's an extremely efficient way to navigate a timeline.

When OpenAI released whisper, I created a tool to automatically generate subtitle tracks for every piece of media associated with a project https://github.com/kortina/av_transcribe and now Resolve 18.5 has added automatic speech to text transcription to generate subtitle tracks from within Resolve itself: https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/media/release/20230416-03#:~:text=The%20auto%20subtitle%20feature%20on,modify%20them%20in%20the%20inspector.

I know with the new Resolve features you can search the text of a clip and even highlight text for the audio of a SINGLE clip to set in and out points for insertion into a Timeline, but what I would REALLY LOVE is the ability to search subtitle tracks from the Edit Index.

This would allow you to easily jump to any point in a timeline for a particular phrase you are looking for, and the interface pretty much already exists -- it just doesn't allow you to search the text within the subtitles.

Does anyone know a way to achieve the workflow I'm describing?

Resolve team, how hard would it be to add such a feature? I feel like it would be a game changer in boosting productivity.

pv-jkp

Re: Search Subtitles with Edit Index

PostTue Jun 27, 2023 9:24 am

+1. The ability to search text within a subtitle is a standard feature required for professional work. It can be done if you use the automatic AI-generated feature, but there seems to be no way to search within subtitles you import from an SRT. This is an oversight and really should be solved as it's an important advantage that Premiere currently has over Resolve.
- Macbook Pro M1 Pro
- Synology NAS
- DVR Studio

SantenPlu

PostWed Oct 25, 2023 4:50 pm

+1

BMart17

PostTue Dec 12, 2023 5:32 pm

+1

chrisnavich

PostTue Jan 23, 2024 5:49 am

+1, just switched from Premiere Pro to Resolve Studio and thought this would be possible since it had text based editing.

AndreBlaze

PostThu Jan 25, 2024 11:07 pm

Novice editor here with an audio background. I'm editing a mini-documentary and came here looking to see if this was possible.

Through a quick web search I was able to find a free online tool that allows you to do exactly this - I just tried and it worked without a hitch. Would be nice to see Resolve natively support this since, as others have already pointed out, the interface is literally already there!

Here's the link:

https://editingtools.io/guides/convert- ... lve-marker

Cheers

lukehasselbring

PostSat Apr 06, 2024 4:24 am

AndreBlaze wrote:Novice editor here with an audio background. I'm editing a mini-documentary and came here looking to see if this was possible.

Through a quick web search I was able to find a free online tool that allows you to do exactly this - I just tried and it worked without a hitch. Would be nice to see Resolve natively support this since, as others have already pointed out, the interface is literally already there!

Here's the link:

https://editingtools.io/guides/convert- ... lve-marker

Cheers

I tried this, and it went well so far until I tried to search in the Index Panel. The search box only seems to index by the title of the markers, and not any other contents (such as notes where the editingtools.io tool placed the subtitles).

Am I missing something?

EidosCineArt

PostThu Apr 11, 2024 9:29 pm

+991

AndreBlaze

PostThu May 02, 2024 8:19 am

lukehasselbring wrote:
I tried this, and it went well so far until I tried to search in the Index Panel. The search box only seems to index by the title of the markers, and not any other contents (such as notes where the editingtools.io tool placed the subtitles).

Am I missing something?

Hey sorry for the late reply! I'm just noticing your question now despite having logged in several times since you posted this so please accept my apologies!

Under the 'Index' panel, make sure you have the 'Edit Index' tab selected. Under the 'Filter by' dropdown, select 'Notes' - your searches should work from there! I hope this helps!

Here's a screenshot:

Edit Index Search.png
Edit Index Search.png (679.36 KiB) Viewed 179 times

Return to DaVinci Resolve