Getting Error when trying to install DVR 18.6

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Annabel_Shanderin

Getting Error when trying to install DVR 18.6

PostMon Sep 25, 2023 12:10 pm

I'm trying to install Davinci Resolve 18.6 Studio but I keep getting an "Unspecified error" 23% into the extraction part of the installation after running Install Resolve 18.6.exe.

I've tried downloading the setup through Davinci Resolve, from Blackmagicdesign.com using both firefox and edge browser.

I've tried unzipping with 7zip and the native Windows 11 extraction tool.

I've also tried extracting the exe and the dat file to the root of my SSD (c:\). Still getting the same error.

What am I doing wrong?

Jim Simon

Re: Getting Error when trying to install DVR 18.6

PostMon Sep 25, 2023 2:20 pm

Couple thoughts.

Do you have any third-party security installed? (At this point in Windows development, I advise against using such. Just stick with the native Windows Security.)

Are you installing to the default location?

Are you using an Admin level Login?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Sep 25, 2023 4:09 pm

If third party zip utilities are unable to unzip the DaVinci_Resolve_Studio_18.6_Windows.zip file downloaded from the web site, it sounds like the zip file is corrupt. Maybe try downloading it with a different browser?

The file size of the DaVinci_Resolve_Studio_18.6_Windows.zip file should be 4,616,459,403 bytes.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Annabel_Shanderin

PostTue Sep 26, 2023 12:42 pm

Jim Simon wrote:Couple thoughts.

Do you have any third-party security installed? (At this point in Windows development, I advise against using such. Just stick with the native Windows Security.)

Are you installing to the default location?

Are you using an Admin level Login?

Thanks for you thoughts.

No third party security (only windows defender)

Installing to default location, at least that's my intention but I don't get to choose as the error presents itself ahead of that.

Logged in as admin (have also tried running the installer file "as admin".

Annabel_Shanderin

PostTue Sep 26, 2023 12:47 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:If third party zip utilities are unable to unzip the DaVinci_Resolve_Studio_18.6_Windows.zip file downloaded from the web site, it sounds like the zip file is corrupt. Maybe try downloading it with a different browser?

The file size of the DaVinci_Resolve_Studio_18.6_Windows.zip file should be 4,616,459,403 bytes.

I think you misunderstand, or maybe I didn't phrase it properly.

I am able to unzip the downloaded zip file (with both 7zip and windows' extraction tool). The problem arise when I run the installer exe (which is itself a compressed file that needs to "extract" first. At least it says "extracting" to begin with when you double click it).

Tried two different browsers (firefox and edge) and directly from Davinci, too. Never had this problem before...

Annabel_Shanderin

PostTue Sep 26, 2023 1:09 pm

OK, all of a sudden, after having tried running the installer file several times only to get the error at 23%, it suddenly just worked and installed without problems. I did nothing in between.

Davinci installed, but what a mystery...

dancingshoes

PostTue Apr 30, 2024 9:29 am

I'm with windows 10 and had same problem with 18 and now with 19 beta.

This maybe noted elsewhere but what worked for me was to use 7-Zip on the downloaded zip file AND ALSO on the .dat file inside the unzipped file to get the .cab and .msi and .exe files and then run the SetupResolve.exe file.

For complete disclorue, I'm using 7-Zip 2015 version. Also, if I tried soon after a reboot, the regular install way seemed to work. (?)

Return to DaVinci Resolve