How to delete media from Blackmagic Cloud?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

bositman

How to delete media from Blackmagic Cloud?

PostFri Feb 23, 2024 10:49 am

Hello all!

So I have been using Blackmagic Cloud for a few months now. Everything is working great! Easy to upload proxies and files, easy to access to another computer, only some problems on how/where the files are stored and how the file structure is etc.

The main problem is this:
I have finished several projects and Im trying to clean the cloud storage up so have for new projects.
I can't seem to find a proper way to delete these files. I don't know or can find a proper way to after having the projects deleted from the cloud, to make the media delete from the storage itself, thus freeing up the cloud space.

Does anyone know how to do this?
Thanks!

bositman

Re: How to delete media from Blackmagic Cloud?

PostMon Feb 26, 2024 7:05 am

So no one has a clue on how to clean up Cloud space?

philosocrates

PostTue Feb 27, 2024 4:26 pm

I used the Black Magic Camera App. To be fair the files were shot using the camera app, but I could only delete them using the app. Even that was kind of a pain. Maybe try downloading the app to your phone and logging in to the cloud there. You should be able to see all your files and select them for deletion...

Good luck!
----------------------------------------------
DRS 18.6.5
Intel Core i9-14900k
AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX (Driver 23.1.1)
64GB 5600 DDR5 RAM XMP 3.0
PSU Corsair HX1500i Platinum

BMP6kpro shooting in Raw

PeterDrage

PostTue Feb 27, 2024 7:41 pm

Hi

You login to Blackmagic Cloud from the BMD homepage then go to Cloud Storage where you can delete files.

I believe you can only delete files that are no longer used in projects in BMD Cloud.

Regards

Peter
Resolve Studio 18.6.6 | Micro Panel | Speed Editor | DeckLink Monitor 4K

10980XE | 128GB RAM | RTX4080 | ARC A310 | 4x2TB NVMe | 72TB RAID 6 HDD | Win11 23H2

14” MacBook Pro | M3 Max 16 Core | 40 Core GPU | 64GB RAM | 1TB SSD | MacOS 14.4.1

RowbyGoren

PostSat Apr 13, 2024 3:06 pm

What do you click on to remove a folder in Blackmagic Cloud?

I clicked on "everything" in a folder and nothing was deleted. "Name" "Size" "Date created" "Date Modified".

Thanks!

Rowby

Glassjawx

PostMon Apr 29, 2024 2:42 pm

Hi,

We have the same issue here, the database is deleted but the medias still on the cloud.

Anyone have a solution ?

thanks.

Ko$tello

PostTue Apr 30, 2024 1:05 am

I have the same issue. The delete button on the Blackmagic Cloud website doesn't show for most folders in my account. It randomly appears for some folders though.
Does anyone know why this happens?

ortizg16

PostTue Apr 30, 2024 5:53 am

Took me a bit, but I got it figured out. Looks like the "cloud website" is just a visual tool to where your Data actually is. Its stored on your pc. So in the bottom right hand corner where the project syncs to the server click "Open in file explorer Icon" it will take you to your pc stored folder. That IS your cloud, so from there just hit the "Davinic resolve media folder" at the top and all your cloud projects internal storage will be there. In your main davinci server in your pc that is your remotely stored data is there. Just delete the folders you don't need :)

Another way to get to it on a Pc is Local Disk>Users>(Pc Name or Username>Davinci Resolve Media

Hope that helped!

Ko$tello

PostWed May 01, 2024 12:10 am

Hey Gerard,

I'm not sure what your workflow is, but I don't need to delete any files from the hard drive. I'd like to use Cloud Storage for current projects only. When they're completed, I need to delete them from the Cloud Storage website to free up space for new projects. All footage on my hard drive has to remain intact.
Unfortunately, it seems impossible to achieve with the current implementation.

spacesimon

PostThu May 09, 2024 6:22 pm

Open project settings and goto the Blackmagic Cloud window

Disable multi user
Change Blackmagic Cloud Storage Syncing to > Don't sync media

Login to Blackmagic cloud
Browse to the project you turned sync off for

Select the media folder (named as project ) not the .stills and then top right click the bin icon.

This should delete media in cloud.
Your media is still local. Free to archive off locally and delete this if you want.
Your project will then not resend and upload any media.

s

PhotoJoseph

PostFri May 10, 2024 9:06 am

spacesimon wrote:Select the media folder (named as project ) not the .stills and then top right click the bin icon.
You're a hero. BMD support had no idea how to do this. Since the bin button doesn't even exist until you select something (which you have to do by carefully clicking the folder icon, not the name), this was a totally non-obvious solution. So, thank you for sharing.

[UPDATE 1]: You actually have to delete the project from the Cloud Library. So assuming you're backing it up first, there's no need to disable multi user or turn off syncing. Once you move the library to a local database, that's obviously not an option there so there's nothing to disable, and once you delete the project from the cloud library, you're free to delete the media on Cloud Storage.

So…

1. Copy the project from the Cloud Library to a Local library (then open it to be sure it's working, please)
2. Delete the project from the Cloud Library
3. Now you can select the project in the Cloud Storage web browser (click the folder icon, not the name), and delete it.

[UPDATE 2]: Alternatively, if you disable multi cloud syncing, then even though you still can't delete the top level folder for that project from the Cloud Storage, you can go into the folder and select and delete individual folders. Technically you don't even have to disable cloud syncing, but if you don't, then next time yo open the project it'll just start uploading media again. Presumably. I'm updating this as I figure it out since BMD support was 100% useless on this one.
https://youtube.com/photojoseph

Resolve Studio 18.6.5
macOS Sonoma 14.2.1
MacBook Pro M2 Max
96GB RAM
Blackmagic Cloud Store Mini on 10gb network
Synology RS1221+ 10gb
Blackmagic UltraStudio 4K Mini
ATOMOS NEON 4K reference monitor

Return to DaVinci Resolve