Still no change in input lag

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Whiffz

Still no change in input lag

PostTue Apr 09, 2024 6:52 am

For context
-----------
Computer: MacBook Pro M1 Pro (1 above base model)
Ram: 16GB
Storage: 1TB
Mac OS Version: Sonoma 14.4.1
Davinci Resolve Version: Studio 18.6.6 Build 7
-----------

One of the reasons I chose Davinci was for the amazing performance. Premiere has been lacking and also costs a damn fortune. I have been using Resolve since 2018 and have NEVER had an issue with any sort of skipping, audio issues or playback related problems.

As of November of 2023 I started to experience what I assume is a bug of skipping, missed J/K/L/Spacebar inputs and now I have experienced hitting play and the timeline playhead not moving at all, but I can hear the video playing and see the viewer playhead moving.

What the hell is going on??? I have tried fresh installs, cache clears, database restores (I edit off the cloud), proxies, optimized media... you name it I have tried it.

I don't want to throw away Resolve, but seriously what is going on???? It's unusable when I hit the space bar to stop playback and my playhead doesn't stop until 4-6 seconds later or I have to press the spacebar 4-5 times before the playback actually stops. I am curious if I am somehow the only one experiencing this.

I love this software and I have the hardware to take advantage of it. What do I do!!

Uli Plank

Re: Still no change in input lag - - PLEASE HELP

PostTue Apr 09, 2024 7:31 am

I have pretty much the same hardware, just some more RAM, and I don't experience that problem.
But then, I don't want to touch Sonoma with a long stick yet.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

mattfezz

PostTue Apr 09, 2024 7:32 am

hmm, sounds odd.
Are you using any Video I/O / Have desktop video installed?

If you revert to the older version does the issue go away?
Mac Pro 7,1 | 3.2Ghz 16 Core | 192GB RAM | Radeon Pro Vega II Duo, Radeon RX 6900XT | Ultrastudio 4K Mini
macOS 14.3.1 | Resolve Studio 18.6.5 | Desktop Video 12.3.1

Peter Cave

PostTue Apr 09, 2024 7:39 am

How full is your main system drive? A nearly full drive can slow things down.
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Uli Plank

PostTue Apr 09, 2024 7:52 am

Observe your RAM with the Activity Monitor. If it's getting full, your Mac will silently start swapping. Even with its pretty fast SSD, that's still far slower than RAM.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Still no change in input lag

PostTue Apr 09, 2024 2:21 pm

If you have a 422 HQ ProRes UHD 24fps clip, and you start a new project with 24fps UHD res.
How does that perform? If poorly, take a phone video of what you see showing the whole screen, and attach the .drp so someone can review.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Whiffz

PostTue Apr 09, 2024 4:52 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:If you have a 422 HQ ProRes UHD 24fps clip, and you start a new project with 24fps UHD res.
How does that perform? If poorly, take a phone video of what you see showing the whole screen, and attach the .drp so someone can review.

I am including below a Google Drive link to a Zip which includes...
1. The DRP
2. The ProRes 422HQ footage
3. The phone video of the missed input
4. The screenshot of the footage details (which I guess you don't need because you can see it if you have the video)

Google Drive Link

Uli Plank

PostWed Apr 10, 2024 3:19 am

That link is private.

Whiffz

PostThu Apr 11, 2024 12:49 am

Uli Plank wrote:That link is private.

Apologies, I fixed the link. Davinci Resolve Forum 1 is my old video but also demonstrates the problem and Davinci Resolve Forum 2 is the fixed folder with what you requested. I also included a video of me pressing "k" to pause playback in a local project. Footage is DCI 4K but I generated half res Proxies (2048x1080) to my local drive in ProRes Proxy format and the timeline is 1920x1080.

Whiffz

PostTue Apr 23, 2024 9:12 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:If you have a 422 HQ ProRes UHD 24fps clip, and you start a new project with 24fps UHD res.

I just installed resolve 19 studio today and this issue still persists. I am not sure if this is Mac OS related or if it is Davinci Resolve related. This doesn't happen with any other editor. I dont have sticky keys on. I have generated proxies (ProRes Proxy), I have tried a 480p timeline with proxies and proxy timeline playback at quarter resolution and I still have issues. I have reset my preferences within resolve. I don't know what's happening, but it is very unfortunate and I am really sad and frustrated. I am sure your team is working constantly on many bugs throughout the community. I thank you for that and I hope this can be one that is solved. Unfortunately it is hard to demonstrate, as recording software that records inputs doesn't see my inputs correctly. Thank you for all the attempted help. I did contact support, but that didn't help either. They linked me to my own forum post. I may take my laptop to Apple and see if they can help or I may backup my machine and start from scratch. This is ridiculous that it is happening in Resolve only. As I said, this may be a Mac OS issue and I am sure your team has been working on fixes to other bugs and I thank you. If you do happen to come across a fix please let me know. If it helps, I have noticed that when I hit play the framerate indicator does not jump to 24fps (or whatever timeline framerate) as it used to. I have h265 decoding on, I have performance mode on automatic and I have it set to minimize elements moving (something along those lines) and the close all on screen controls during playback. Anyways thank you for continued effort in developing Resolve and I hope I can get back to regular use.

Uli Plank

PostWed Apr 24, 2024 1:31 am

I have about the same model and no such issues, and I don't even use ProRes only. So, the main difference I can see is Sonoma.
I know it's not easy to go back, but you can install Monterey or Ventura on an empty SSD (or even a fast SD card), boot from there and then add only DR. Does it behave the same?

Return to DaVinci Resolve