Edit and Fusion footage very different

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

onionface

Edit and Fusion footage very different

PostWed Apr 10, 2024 11:23 am

Hi,

I've spent two days trying to get my footage to look the same in Editor and Fusion, I also have big issues with exported and imported footage and stills, which is making it impossible for me to even start on my project as I require a lot of painted overlays and small effects, seam and object removal, etc.

I've tried several different set ups, tried setting up the color space and LUT to match the camera ( Red Raptor ) but that made things even worse, last night I managed to match the Editor and Fusion, by removing the Red LUT, rendering out the clip, re importing it and using it without any color grading, I thought the issue was solved, this morning I open up Resolve and tried to repeat this method but it didn't work, the issue is back. How can this method work for one clip but not another when I didn't change any settings between the two attempts.... drives me insane
I really can't afford to spend a third day reading through long technical posts, so I'm hoping somebody here can just give me a click by click solution. Thanks!
Attachments
EditFusion_Image.jpg
EditFusion_Image.jpg (386.87 KiB) Viewed 277 times
Last edited by onionface on Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dave Shortman

Re: Edit and Fusion footage very different

PostWed Apr 10, 2024 12:31 pm

Maybe have a look at this video by Daria Fissoun, fortunately all my projects do not require any colour space management as all my gear is strictly consumer level, but you might be able to figure out at least how to rectify your issue with understanding rather than just clicking and hoping.

It is a long video but there are quick links into each section which might be relevant, you may well want to jump in at : Part 2: SDR Color Management – 11:32 (13 mins)

From my very limited understanding you can put a CST in either the edit page or the fusion node tree or you may even be able to get the results you want with a fusion display LUT, as I say, I have no had to delve into this too much, but I do like to at least know what issues I may run into if I ever have to move to a colour managed setup.

I will leave more informative comments to my more learned forumites.

https://dvresolve.com/tutorial/guide-to ... nt-fusion/

Andy Mees

PostWed Apr 10, 2024 1:05 pm

In your screenshot, the Fusion page Viewer LUT is disabled (grey)... try enabling it (white) and see if that gets you where you want to go.
Screenshot 2024-04-10 140300.jpg
Screenshot 2024-04-10 140300.jpg (14.64 KiB) Viewed 286 times

onionface

PostTue Apr 30, 2024 10:56 pm

Thanks,

I tried the advice but never managed to get it working so in the end I rendered out the footage as MOV and reimported it, now it matches in all modes. Irritating, but problem solved.

Return to DaVinci Resolve