Fedora 40 installation issues due change of zlib to zlib-ng

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

PhatLe

Fedora 40 installation issues due change of zlib to zlib-ng

PostWed Apr 10, 2024 12:53 pm

I know this might be little off topic and might be not resolved here but Davinci resolve is working fine and can be installed on Fedora 39 since the distri still uses zlib, but issue comes on new Fedora version 40 where zlib is not anymore available on distro since system wide change has been done to use zlib-ng-compat libraries. I was testing DaVinci Resolve on my Fedora 40 to see if I can get it working nicely and if so I would buy Pro and since I don't have Pro yet only support I could get for now is the forums here.

Possible workarounds is to use distrobox method where I use centOS or Fedora 39 where DaVinci works but that is not as easy or not so ling term and I'm suspicious how good GPU passthrough is on those so I would prefer Native installation

airtmz

Re: Fedora 40 installation issues due change of zlib to zlib

PostSat Apr 13, 2024 10:40 pm

Well this just saved me a few more hours of searching reasons why things weren't working

PhatLe

PostWed Apr 24, 2024 3:41 am

i got Davinci working on Fedora 40 workstation i found good guide and it always had issues for depencies before and after installation i iwll post here how i got it working easy and upgrading to Fedora 40 didint broke anything

Code: Select all
sudo dnf install libxcrypt-compat libcurl libcurl-devel mesa-libGLU

These commands will help resolve compatibility issues and prepare your system for the installation process.
After successfully installing DaVinci Resolve, there are a few additional steps to optimize compatibility. Follow these commands:
cd /opt/resolve/libs
sudo mkdir disabled-libraries
sudo mv libglib* disabled-libraries
sudo mv libgio* disabled-libraries
sudo mv libgmodule* disabled-libraries

These commands will further enhance the compatibility of DaVinci Resolve with your Fedora 39 system, ensuring a smooth editing experience. Whether you're a beginner or an experienced user, our detailed instructions and tips will help you unleash the full potential of DaVinci Resolve on Fedora 39. Watch now and start creating stunning videos with ease!

eklmn_eprst

PostFri Apr 26, 2024 9:04 pm

Fedora 40. libxcrypt-compat libcurl libcurl-devel mesa-libGLU installed. But:
Missing or outdated system packages detected.
Please install the following missing packages:
zlib

olamo02

PostSun Apr 28, 2024 11:36 am

PhatLe wrote:i got Davinci working on Fedora 40 workstation i found good guide and it always had issues for depencies before and after installation i iwll post here how i got it working easy and upgrading to Fedora 40 didint broke anything

These commands will help resolve compatibility issues and prepare your system for the installation process.
After successfully installing DaVinci Resolve, there are a few additional steps to optimize compatibility. Follow these commands:
cd /opt/resolve/libs

These commands will further enhance the compatibility of DaVinci Resolve with your Fedora 39 system, ensuring a smooth editing experience. Whether you're a beginner or an experienced user, our detailed instructions and tips will help you unleash the full potential of DaVinci Resolve on Fedora 39. Watch now and start creating stunning videos with ease!

This indicates that you already have resolve installed (from an upgrade)? The resolve installer halts at the zlib issue on a fresh fedora 40 install, can`t get passed it..

AlexRom

PostSun Apr 28, 2024 12:46 pm

Hi! A can install Davinchi resolve 19 beta on Fedora 40.
Use: sudo SKIP_PACKAGE_CHECK=1 ./DaVinci_Resolve_19.0b1_Linux.run

chris.pourbaix

PostMon Apr 29, 2024 12:19 pm

Hi,

Just in case it helps work around the zlib issue: on Fedora at least, the installer apparently egrep's the output of rpm, so aliasing rpm to a script that would replace zlib-ng with zlib and running the installer from the command line might work:

$ cat foo.sh
#!/bin/sh
PACKAGES=$(rpm $@ | sed s/zlib-ng/zlib/)
echo "${PACKAGES}"
exit 0

$ alias rpm=./foo.sh
$ ./DaVinciInstaller # sorry, forgot the actual file name

Another option -- that worked for me -- is to move egrep out of the way by renaming it for the duration of the installation. The installer will then ignore the check altogether (including the check for other libraries, so this is by no means the preferred way).

After that, you'll still have to move the libs around like previously. This merely addresses the installer not running because of the switch to zlib-ng.

Hope this helps.

PhatLe

PostThu May 02, 2024 4:11 pm

olamo02 wrote:
PhatLe wrote:i got Davinci working on Fedora 40 workstation i found good guide and it always had issues for depencies before and after installation i iwll post here how i got it working easy and upgrading to Fedora 40 didint broke anything

cd /opt/resolve/libs

This indicates that you already have resolve installed (from an upgrade)? The resolve installer halts at the zlib issue on a fresh fedora 40 install, can`t get passed it..

yes best option for me was to install F39 do all this to verify DaVinci is running on it then i just did Distro upgrade and everything was still working because the zlib issue if you run on Fresh F40 installation. on that i found best way to go around is creating distrobox and install DaVinci on there

PhatLe

PostFri May 03, 2024 1:42 pm

i actually tested fresh F40 Workstation installation with this method and it is still working all pre installation depencies working libcurl might give fedora errorr
Last metadata expiration check: 0:14:21 ago on Fri 03 May 2024 07:52:04 PM +07.
Error:
 Problem: problem with installed package libcurl-minimal-8.6.0-8.fc40.i686
  - package libcurl-minimal-8.6.0-8.fc40.i686 from @System conflicts with libcurl(x86-32) provided by libcurl-8.6.0-7.fc40.i686 from fedora
  - package libcurl-minimal-8.6.0-7.fc40.i686 from fedora conflicts with libcurl(x86-32) provided by libcurl-8.6.0-7.fc40.i686 from fedora
  - package libcurl-minimal-8.6.0-8.fc40.i686 from updates conflicts with libcurl(x86-32) provided by libcurl-8.6.0-7.fc40.i686 from fedora
  - conflicting requests
  - package libcurl-minimal-8.6.0-8.fc40.i686 from @System conflicts with libcurl(x86-32) provided by libcurl-8.6.0-8.fc40.i686 from updates
  - package libcurl-minimal-8.6.0-7.fc40.i686 from fedora conflicts with libcurl(x86-32) provided by libcurl-8.6.0-8.fc40.i686 from updates
  - package libcurl-minimal-8.6.0-8.fc40.i686 from updates conflicts with libcurl(x86-32) provided by libcurl-8.6.0-8.fc40.i686 from updates
  - problem with installed package libcurl-minimal-8.6.0-8.fc40.x86_64
  - package libcurl-minimal-8.6.0-8.fc40.x86_64 from @System conflicts with libcurl(x86-64) provided by libcurl-8.6.0-7.fc40.x86_64 from fedora
  - package libcurl-minimal-8.6.0-7.fc40.x86_64 from fedora conflicts with libcurl(x86-64) provided by libcurl-8.6.0-7.fc40.x86_64 from fedora
  - package libcurl-minimal-8.6.0-8.fc40.x86_64 from updates conflicts with libcurl(x86-64) provided by libcurl-8.6.0-7.fc40.x86_64 from fedora
  - package libcurl-minimal-8.6.0-8.fc40.x86_64 from @System conflicts with libcurl(x86-64) provided by libcurl-8.6.0-8.fc40.x86_64 from updates
  - package libcurl-minimal-8.6.0-7.fc40.x86_64 from fedora conflicts with libcurl(x86-64) provided by libcurl-8.6.0-8.fc40.x86_64 from updates
  - package libcurl-minimal-8.6.0-8.fc40.x86_64 from updates conflicts with libcurl(x86-64) provided by libcurl-8.6.0-8.fc40.x86_64 from updates
(try to add '--allowerasing' to command line to replace conflicting packages or '--skip-broken' to skip uninstallable packages)

so skip that install rest and after those done just use

sudo SKIP_PACKAGE_CHECK=1 ./DaVinci.ResolveXYZ

after installation is done create the folder and move the libs there on the post and it works and run as nothing

Return to DaVinci Resolve