Fairlight - Exporting Audio Stems with Track level effects

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

redmars

Fairlight - Exporting Audio Stems with Track level effects

PostThu Apr 11, 2024 5:12 am

I have a mono mix of a film done in fairlight. At some point we may have the money to do a new mix in 5.1, so we'd like to retain stems of every track so that we can do this easily and quickly without having to recreate a bunch of creative decisions.

This would involve retaining the effects that we've put on each track. For example: track 67 has a nice convolutional reverb to simulate a small radio. We don't want to have to redo things like that in the new mix.

The problem is when I try to create stems, either by using "export audio" from the clip contextual menu, or "All Timeline Tracks" from the deliver page, the tracks get exported without track level effects so we lose all of that.

A reddit post I found said that track level effects exist somewhere between the track and its destination bus. Maybe that's true? But where does that leave me with archiving stems? Do I need to create a new bus for all 90 of this film's tracks in order to preserve the audio stems for a potential future upmix?

Thanks in advance!

Reynaud Venter

Re: Fairlight - Exporting Audio Stems with Track level effec

PostThu Apr 11, 2024 1:02 pm

For maximum flexibility, suggest providing the dubbing mixer the option of no effects and an appropriately formatted AAF of the Timeline(s). Discuss with the mixer.

If there are ranges that may require specific effects, export individual Timeline Clips with DSP across inserts from the Deliver page. Enable the "Render timeline effects" option on the Video tab with "Individual Clips". The Video option can be deselected to output audio only deliverables.

Alternatively, use the Clip contextual menu's "Export Audio Files" function and enable the "Clip EQ and FX" option to include Clip-based DSP. Deliverables are available in the target folder specified in the export window.

If providing Stems in reels, use the Timeline menu > Bounce Mix to Track function to print Sums and Auxes to new Tracks. Deliverables are available in the Capture folder as defined in:
Resolve Project Settings > Capture and Playback > Capture > Save Clips to
⟦ Mac Pro 7,1 Rack ⊕ 16-core 3.2GHz ⊕ 32GB RAM ⊕ Radeon 580X • Resolve Studio 19.0 • macOS 14.4.1 ⟧
⟦ Fairlight Studio Console ⊕ Fairlight Audio Accelerator ⊕ Merging Hapi • Anubis • Ravenna CoreAudio VAD ⟧

Jim Simon

PostThu Apr 11, 2024 3:37 pm

I typically defer to Reynaud for all things audio, but...as I see no mention of moving to other software, to my simple mind it seems enough just to keep the original media and project file.

No?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

redmars

PostFri Apr 12, 2024 2:16 am

Thanks for taking the time Reynaud, that's helpful. Looks like I'll have to just do it manually.

It does surprise me a little that Fairlight doesn't have this basic feature that most other DAWs do.

Jim, in answer to your question. Any future hypothetical mix might be done in another DAW and would definitely be done at a different studio where they might not have the same plugins as I do. In addition just for archiving purposes, over time some vst plugins lose compatibility across OSs, new processors, etc. so it's nice to have a printed version of the stems to lock in artistic decisions.

Kris Limbach

PostSun May 05, 2024 10:49 am

Following this discussion and I do have the same problem:

I would like to finish a feature film project and do the stereo mix in fairlight, but would like to finish the surround mix and mastering in Harrison Mixbus 10. I would like to "bake in " all the effects of the tracks, as it is just a dialog cleanup, some effects, levelling etc. I do not want to re-do these in Mixbus, especially because fairlight is great for that and the voice isolator etc. are obviously not available in Mixbus. If there would be a safe way to generate stems, this would be so great.

Return to DaVinci Resolve