How do I add a background to my fusion media?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

SuperSwiftPics

How do I add a background to my fusion media?

PostFri Apr 12, 2024 11:11 pm

I have this transparent video I created in fusion, but I cannot add the background2 node behind it no matter what I tried it seems completely impossible. This is what the footage looks like in the edit page rn and it's a complete mess. Is it possible to add a background here and how?
Attachments
help image 2.png
help image 2.png (143.4 KiB) Viewed 778 times
help image.png
help image.png (110.45 KiB) Viewed 778 times

Jim Simon

Re: How do I add a background to my fusion media?

PostSat Apr 13, 2024 12:53 am

Two Backgrounds?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

KrunoSmithy

PostSat Apr 13, 2024 11:26 am

Well, of course you need a merge node if you want to merge something. So if you want to add Background 2 node with a merge node before or after Background 1 + DeltaKey Merge node. You simply add it either by placing the merge node with Background 2 before of after Background 1.

If you want to combine it all you need another merge node in your node tree. Depending on what you want. I assume you want to add something to the transparent area.

Add a Merge2+Background2 node after your Background 1 + DeltaKey Merge node. The former should be added as orange input (BG) and latter should be added as green input (FG). Than you connect that merge node output to media out. And that is it.

SuperSwiftPics

PostSun Apr 14, 2024 1:08 am

KrunoSmithy wrote:Well, of course you need a merge node if you want to merge something. So if you want to add Background 2 node with a merge node before or after Background 1 + DeltaKey Merge node. You simply add it either by placing the merge node with Background 2 before of after Background 1.

If you want to combine it all you need another merge node in your node tree. Depending on what you want. I assume you want to add something to the transparent area.

Add a Merge2+Background2 node after your Background 1 + DeltaKey Merge node. The former should be added as orange input (BG) and latter should be added as green input (FG). Than you connect that merge node output to media out. And that is it.

I may be doing something wrong but I tried adding the merge and background node after already but that did absolutely nothing. I'm not trying to add two backgrounds but that background1 node just made the foreground object black for some reason but that's actually exactly what I'm trying to do cause there's no other way to make an object a solid color. My actual objective for all of this is to use a video as a mask by having the black object be what's shown on my video I'm trying to mask but despite all the research I've done there's no tool in resolve that allows me to use a video as a mask which is strange since every other editing software has a function like that.

KrunoSmithy

PostSun Apr 14, 2024 9:58 am

SuperSwiftPics wrote:I may be doing something wrong but I tried adding the merge and background node after already but that did absolutely nothing.

Here is quick and easy way to do it. Flexible as well. Depending on what you want.

sshot-3746.jpg
I think this is what you wanted.
sshot-3746.jpg (247.64 KiB) Viewed 535 times

sshot-3748.jpg
And its easy to reverse the mask.
sshot-3748.jpg (252.23 KiB) Viewed 535 times

sshot-3747.jpg
As long as you have it connected to media out, it should work in Edit and Color page.
sshot-3747.jpg (239.09 KiB) Viewed 535 times

SuperSwiftPics

PostSun Apr 14, 2024 8:17 pm

Omg tysm this does exactly what I wanted it to do I had no idea this was possible thank you. One other question I have is that I'm trying to have my background media be a video and I can't find a way to get it into fusion. I can only use the media pool to drag and drop clips in but not clips from the timeline which I need cause it's supposed to sync up. Is there a way to get clips from the edit timeline into fusion? Sorry for asking such simple questions I wouldn't be asking if there were another way to find it but I have spent so many hours just trying to figure out these simple things but there are so few resources online.

KrunoSmithy

PostTue Apr 16, 2024 9:59 am

SuperSwiftPics wrote:Omg tysm this does exactly what I wanted it to do I had no idea this was possible thank you. One other question I have is that I'm trying to have my background media be a video and I can't find a way to get it into fusion. I can only use the media pool to drag and drop clips in but not clips from the timeline which I need cause it's supposed to sync up. Is there a way to get clips from the edit timeline into fusion? Sorry for asking such simple questions I wouldn't be asking if there were another way to find it but I have spent so many hours just trying to figure out these simple things but there are so few resources online.

You a re welcome. You really should read the manual.

If you want to get clips from edit timeline into fusion, you either move your playhead over the clip and open fusion page, and it will be there via MediaIn node. You get it back by using MediaOut node. Or you can right mouse click on the clip in the timeline edit page and simply convert it to Fusion Clip. It will than inherit every change from color and edit page, from edits, color grades and resolution. Otherwise Fusion references media from media pool. Depending on what you want, both have their good reasons for being there. Use the one that you need.

SuperSwiftPics

PostThu Apr 18, 2024 1:29 am

KrunoSmithy wrote:
SuperSwiftPics wrote:Omg tysm this does exactly what I wanted it to do I had no idea this was possible thank you. One other question I have is that I'm trying to have my background media be a video and I can't find a way to get it into fusion. I can only use the media pool to drag and drop clips in but not clips from the timeline which I need cause it's supposed to sync up. Is there a way to get clips from the edit timeline into fusion? Sorry for asking such simple questions I wouldn't be asking if there were another way to find it but I have spent so many hours just trying to figure out these simple things but there are so few resources online.

You a re welcome. You really should read the manual.

If you want to get clips from edit timeline into fusion, you either move your playhead over the clip and open fusion page, and it will be there via MediaIn node. You get it back by using MediaOut node. Or you can right mouse click on the clip in the timeline edit page and simply convert it to Fusion Clip. It will than inherit every change from color and edit page, from edits, color grades and resolution. Otherwise Fusion references media from media pool. Depending on what you want, both have their good reasons for being there. Use the one that you need.

Thank you I tried getting the mediaIn from the timeline into the fusion page but doing that for some reason just duplicates the mediaIn from this fusion clip but the media pool works just fine. I recorded a video showing what I mean I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Here's the link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dS7Ioz ... sp=sharing

KrunoSmithy

PostThu Apr 18, 2024 2:04 am

SuperSwiftPics wrote:Thank you I tried getting the mediaIn from the timeline into the fusion page but doing that for some reason just duplicates the mediaIn from this fusion clip but the media pool works just fine. I recorded a video showing what I mean I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Well, you seem to be doing the most basic things all wrong. Which I find strange if you have done as much research as you claim. But either way....

Media in and Media out.

Have you actually read the manual. Its all there. You need to start with the basics.

Chapter 65: Getting Clips into Fusion

This chapter details the various ways you can move clips into Fusion as you build your compositions.

https://elements.tv/blog/davinci-resolv ... l-is-here/

SuperSwiftPics

PostSun May 05, 2024 3:06 am

It is not all there I have tried reading it and searching through to find what I want but there is no mention of importing clips from the timeline into fusion. I have scoured the internet for hours now and can't find any way to import clips and just ways to import files or stuff from the media pool. The media pool from fusion is also completely broken and no matter what if you mark in and out it won't listen to you and will instead just start from the beginning so I cannot use that. Is there a secret way to import timeline clips into fusion or is it completely impossible?

KrunoSmithy wrote:
SuperSwiftPics wrote:Thank you I tried getting the mediaIn from the timeline into the fusion page but doing that for some reason just duplicates the mediaIn from this fusion clip but the media pool works just fine. I recorded a video showing what I mean I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Well, you seem to be doing the most basic things all wrong. Which I find strange if you have done as much research as you claim. But either way....

Media in and Media out.

Have you actually read the manual. Its all there. You need to start with the basics.

Chapter 65: Getting Clips into Fusion

This chapter details the various ways you can move clips into Fusion as you build your compositions.

https://elements.tv/blog/davinci-resolv ... l-is-here/

Darryl

PostSun May 05, 2024 3:49 am

SuperSwiftPics wrote: Is there a secret way to import timeline clips into fusion or is it completely impossible?

I am not sure what your end game is, but here are 2 options for you. Import is the wrong word to use as the clip is already on the timeline,

1. Right click on the clip you want and select "Open in Fusion". When Fusion starts it has a MediaIn node which is the timeline clip, edited to the in and out points of the clip. In this case, the clip is part of the fusion node, and hence part of the rendering process.

2. Add a Fusion composition to the timeline. The track you put it on is important but we will get to that later. Open the Fusion clip in the Fusion page and you will only have a MediaOut node. Add a MediaIn node. In the Inspector locate the Media Source parameter and click on the down arrow. Click on Background. This will show all tracks below the Fusion clip on the timeline, which is why the track it is on is important. In this case, the clips are not actually part of the fusion comp. They just sit there as a reference. This is particularly useful if the Fusion clip needs to reference more than one clip on the timeline.

So what do you want to do with the video clip in Fusion?

Darryl
Darryl Severn
The Videoverse by Darbeth
Livestreaming, Conferences, Info & Education, Events

Kit:
BMPCC 4K, Studio Cam 4K Pro, ATEM Mini Extreme ISO, Resolve Studio
DJI Inspire 2, Panasonic HCPV100,
Behringer XR16, Sennheiser XSW

Return to DaVinci Resolve