Generating subtitles Resolve goes into infinite loop

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Håkan Mitts

Generating subtitles Resolve goes into infinite loop

PostFri Apr 19, 2024 10:54 am

Sometime (but not always, more like 1/5 times) when I try to generate subtitles in Resolve, Resolve goes into a very "aggressive" infinite loop.

The subtitle generation stops at the "Initialize" stage, CPU and GPU work at high capacity. Most strangely, if Smart cache is enabled, Resolve goes "berserk" with writing files into the clip cache. If render cache is set to "none" Resolve just freezes. In both cases, only way to recover is to kill Resolve from the Taskmanager, pressing "Stop" in the UI has not effect.

Sometimes choosing an ohter track helps and I can generate from there, in this last case, none of my 3 audio tracks worked.

A couple of screenshots:

Taskmanager load:
subtitles.jpg
subtitles.jpg (55.32 KiB) Viewed 534 times

Files generated
subtitles2.jpg
subtitles2.jpg (87.63 KiB) Viewed 534 times

Result of waiting about 1-2 minutes for the process to complete. Yesterday when I took a coffee break after starting subtitle generation Resolve had nenerated about 30 Gb of files and the number of files was close to half a million. Good stresstest for the SSD..
subtitles3.jpg
subtitles3.jpg (51.81 KiB) Viewed 534 times

Log etc here: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/glwkz6ng6pq5htjd29ybp/subtitles.zip?rlkey=egppyu8qasovsh7kvk4rgo9fg&dl=0
Resolve Studio 18.6.5/Windows 10/RX 6600

Return to DaVinci Resolve