Improvement Suggestion for Text+ Tool Regarding Default Font

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Tensor7

Improvement Suggestion for Text+ Tool Regarding Default Font

PostSun Apr 28, 2024 1:33 pm

I'm a user from China who frequently utilizes the Text+ tool for various purposes. However, I've encountered an inconvenience due to the default font, OpenSans, lacking support for Chinese characters. This requires me to manually switch the font every time I use the tool, which disrupts my workflow.

I believe I'm not the only user facing this issue, hence I'd like to propose a suggestion: Could you consider adding an option in the Text+ tool to set a default font? This way, users can personalize their experience by selecting their preferred font, eliminating the need for manual adjustments with every use.

Introducing this feature would not only enhance user experience but also cater to the diverse needs of users worldwide. It would particularly benefit those who require Chinese character support.

Looking forward to seeing this enhancement in future versions of the Text+ tool. Thank you for your continuous efforts and support!

Jim Simon

Re: Improvement Suggestion for Text+ Tool Regarding Default

PostMon Apr 29, 2024 9:06 pm

There is a separate forum for Feature Requests.

viewforum.php?f=33

Best practice is to search first, to see if someone already asked. If not, post one idea per thread with a very brief description of the idea in the thread's title.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Tensor7

PostMon Apr 29, 2024 9:14 pm

Thank you for your suggestions. I am new here so I am not very familiar with it. I have posted another post in the section you mentioned after I found it exists. Hope the developer team would consider my request. It would save much time for literally everyone.

Andrew Hazelden

PostTue Apr 30, 2024 12:48 am

Tensor7 wrote:Could you consider adding an option in the Text+ tool to set a default font? This way, users can personalize their experience by selecting their preferred font, eliminating the need for manual adjustments with every use.

If you are using the Text+ node on the Fusion page you have the option of changing the initial font or other parameters and saving that as a new default for all newly added nodes of that type.

Step 1. Add a new Text+ node to the Fusion page. Change the font to something like "STSong".
1 Change the Text+ Font.png
1 Change the Text+ Font.png (33.47 KiB) Viewed 168 times

Step 2. Click on the modified Text+ node in the Nodes view. Right-click on the node and select the "Settings > Save Default" contextual menu item. A new default value will be saved for Text+ nodes.
2 Set Default.png
2 Set Default.png (29.58 KiB) Viewed 168 times

Step 3. Add a new Text+ node to the comp. The node will be created using your preferred settings.

Notes:
If you later decide you want to revert Text+ nodes to use factory default settings you can right-click on a Text+ node in the Nodes view and select the "Settings > Reset Default" contextual menu item.

The default setting you created for a Text+ node is stored in the Fusion preferences folder on disk with a filename of "TextPlus_Text+.setting". This document is saved in the "UserData:/Defaults/" PathMap based folder. On macOS this is located at:

Code: Select all
$HOME/Library/Application Support/Blackmagic Design/DaVinci Resolve/Fusion/Defaults/TextPlus_Text+.setting
Mac Studio M2 Ultra / Threadripper 3990X | Fusion Studio 18.6.4 | Kartaverse 6

Tensor7

PostTue Apr 30, 2024 2:39 am

Andrew Hazelden wrote:
Tensor7 wrote:Could you consider adding an option in the Text+ tool to set a default font? This way, users can personalize their experience by selecting their preferred font, eliminating the need for manual adjustments with every use.

If you are using the Text+ node on the Fusion page you have the option of changing the initial font or other parameters and saving that as a new default for all newly added nodes of that type.

Step 1. Add a new Text+ node to the Fusion page. Change the font to something like "STSong".
1 Change the Text+ Font.png

Step 2. Click on the modified Text+ node in the Nodes view. Right-click on the node and select the "Settings > Save Default" contextual menu item. A new default value will be saved for Text+ nodes.
2 Set Default.png

Step 3. Add a new Text+ node to the comp. The node will be created using your preferred settings.

Notes:
If you later decide you want to revert Text+ nodes to use factory default settings you can right-click on a Text+ node in the Nodes view and select the "Settings > Reset Default" contextual menu item.

The default setting you created for a Text+ node is stored in the Fusion preferences folder on disk with a filename of "TextPlus_Text+.setting". This document is saved in the "UserData:/Defaults/" PathMap based folder. On macOS this is located at:

Code: Select all
$HOME/Library/Application Support/Blackmagic Design/DaVinci Resolve/Fusion/Defaults/TextPlus_Text+.setting

Thank you for your reply, it was very helpful. Your solution partly solved my problem. I'd still like to suggest combining the settings for the edit page and fusion page for better usability.

Return to DaVinci Resolve