LUT path

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

incredibleflyingcar

LUT path

PostMon Apr 29, 2024 9:00 am

Hi,

I've just recieved my Resolve project back from the colourist with several LUTS attached to an email.

Unfortunately I can't get Resolve to "see" the LUT.

There is a Missing Lut message that comes up in the Timeline viewer but the folder pathway is truncated (see attachment) so I can't recreate that folder structure in the LUT folder.

Does anyone know how I can solve this?

Nick

Jim Simon

Re: LUT PATH

PostMon Apr 29, 2024 8:36 pm

I don't use LUT's, so I'm guessing here.

You have installed the LUTs sent over in the email? Any issues doing so?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Igor Riđanović

PostTue Apr 30, 2024 12:50 am

You have to place the LUTs in the LUT folder.

For the location go to Project Settings -> Color Management and click "Open LUT folder."
www.metafide.com - DaVinci Resolve™ Apps

incredibleflyingcar

PostTue Apr 30, 2024 6:34 am

Hi There,

I have installed the LUT.

And clicked refresh in the Color page. The red "missing LUT" symbol dissappears.

But when I go back to the timeline the missing LUT message is still there with the colourists file path that I don't know. See attachment.

Nick

incredibleflyingcar

PostTue Apr 30, 2024 6:38 am

On the Missing LUT message, I can't recreate the file path because it's truncated. And Resolve isn't "looking" for this LUT in the LUT folder.

Morever, in the colour tab there is no sign of a missing LUT so I can't relink it.
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-04-30 at 07.36.38.png
Screenshot 2024-04-30 at 07.36.38.png (693.84 KiB) Viewed 381 times

incredibleflyingcar

PostTue Apr 30, 2024 6:41 am

Jim Simon wrote:I don't use LUT's, so I'm guessing here.

You have installed the LUTs sent over in the email? Any issues doing so?

Hiya,

Yes, I have installed the LUTs, but because the colourist had the LUTs in a specific folder system, Resolve won't look in the normal LUT folder.

shebbe

Re: LUT path

PostWed May 01, 2024 11:16 am

A known hurdle which BMD doesn't seem to want to solve yet.
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=110990

The only solution right now is if you at least know which file it is, manually point to it for each place where it's used. Alternatively you could ask the colourist what it's filepath is within the LUT directory and mimick that on your end as well so it's auto picked. But that may not be ideal for your personalized folder structure.
Home System Resolve 18.6b9: Z790 / i9 13900K / 64GB DDR5 / RTX4090 / Win 11 / ASUS PA32UGC 1600 nits
Office System Resolve 18.6b9: X570 / Ryzen 9 5900X / 128GB DDR4 / RTX4090 / Win 11 / EIZO CG248-K

incredibleflyingcar

PostWed May 01, 2024 11:19 am

shebbe wrote:A known hurdle which BMD doesn't seem to want to solve yet.
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=110990

The only solution right now is if you at least know which file it is, manually point to it for each place where it's used. Alternatively you could ask the colourist what it's filepath is within the LUT directory and mimick that on your end as well so it's auto picked. But that may not be ideal for your personalized folder structure.

Thank you so much for the response. Recreating that file structure is a great idea, and I am trying to find out what that is.

Otherwise, I can't "point to it" because I can't find where in Resolve it is asking for it. The MIssing LUT message comes up in the timeline but nowhere else!

shebbe

PostWed May 01, 2024 11:25 am

Ah sorry I assumed you are familliar with Resolve's colorgrading system. You would otherwise have to go to the color page and there on the node tree there should be a node with a small grid icon on it. That would be a node with a LUT loaded. Rightclicking it and navigating to LUT will show your LUTs and it will also show the missing one listed there with an "x" in front of it. Simply navigate to that same LUT but at the location you placed it in your LUTs folder.

If you're lucky it has been done on group or timeline level. If it's placed per clip and you have a proj with 100+ shots it's a bit of a disaster:)...
Home System Resolve 18.6b9: Z790 / i9 13900K / 64GB DDR5 / RTX4090 / Win 11 / ASUS PA32UGC 1600 nits
Office System Resolve 18.6b9: X570 / Ryzen 9 5900X / 128GB DDR4 / RTX4090 / Win 11 / EIZO CG248-K

incredibleflyingcar

PostWed May 01, 2024 11:31 am

shebbe wrote:Ah sorry I assumed you are familliar with Resolve's colorgrading system. You would otherwise have to go to the color page and there on the node tree there should be a node with a small grid icon on it. That would be a node with a LUT loaded. Rightclicking it and navigating to LUT will show your LUTs and it will also show the missing one listed there with an "x" in front of it. Simply navigate to that same LUT but at the location you placed it in your LUTs folder.

If you're lucky it has been done on group or timeline level. If it's placed per clip and you have a proj with 100+ shots it's a bit of a disaster:)...

Hi there,

Thanks for this. This is the wierd part... I've checked all the nodes and none of them seem to be asking for this LUT. Right clicking on any of them brings up the message "No LUT selected"

incredibleflyingcar

PostWed May 01, 2024 11:33 am

incredibleflyingcar wrote:
shebbe wrote:Ah sorry I assumed you are familliar with Resolve's colorgrading system. You would otherwise have to go to the color page and there on the node tree there should be a node with a small grid icon on it. That would be a node with a LUT loaded. Rightclicking it and navigating to LUT will show your LUTs and it will also show the missing one listed there with an "x" in front of it. Simply navigate to that same LUT but at the location you placed it in your LUTs folder.

Hi there,

Thanks for this. This is the wierd part... I've checked all the nodes and none of them seem to be asking for this LUT. Right clicking on any of them brings up the message "No LUT selected"

Sorry - one more thing - I do get a red "missing LUT" icon in the LUT previewer. I click Refresh and it goes away. The message still persists on the timeline.

shebbe

PostWed May 01, 2024 11:37 am

Right, that's strange. Are you sure you've looked at the clip, timeline, and is present group pre/post clip node trees? Have you also double checked if it's not some chache thing acting up or anything else. Maybe it's a compound clip with more grading inside?

I would ask for a reference export of the timeline from your colorist if you don't have one already so you can be sure everything translated correctly.

incredibleflyingcar

PostWed May 01, 2024 11:40 am

shebbe wrote:Right, that's strange. Are you sure you've looked at the clip, timeline, and is present group pre/post clip node trees? Have you also double checked if it's not some chache thing acting up or anything else. Maybe it's a compound clip with more grading inside?

I would ask for a reference export of the timeline from your colorist if you don't have one already so you can be sure everything translated correctly.

Thank you. There doesn't seem to be any other "hiding" clips. There is the option to decompose the clip but I'm a bit scared to mess too much with this project file.

I'll arrange a meeting with the colourist to figure out what's going on / find out what the file path is!

Thanks so much for your help.

Uli Plank

PostWed May 01, 2024 12:00 pm

Could even be a node that’s not in use, but never deleted.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Return to DaVinci Resolve