Alternative or workaround for compound clip?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Singularity

Alternative or workaround for compound clip?

PostMon Apr 29, 2024 2:36 pm

I have built a short "logo intro" section in my timeline, and I would like to make it into a single re-usable clip. I tried to make a compound clip out of it, but since the top layer is a grain texture set to hard light blending mode, it doesn't render correctly in the main timeline (turns what should be a black background into a mid grey).

I'm attaching a screenshot of the section of timeline with the layers I want to make into a clip.
Basically, text, GFX, audio, and that grain texture.

What is the best way to achieve what I want?
I guess I could render out just that section and reimport it, but ideally, I would love for it to be a compound clip so that I can go back and edit it later. I don't fully understand the ins and outs of compound clips, but I guess it's not working because of the blending mode? Is there any other workaround or approach I should take?
Thanks
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-04-29 232405.png
Screenshot 2024-04-29 232405.png (194.92 KiB) Viewed 499 times
Resolve 18 Studio. Windows 11 Pro. Ryzen 2700x. GTX 3060. 32GB 3200mhz DDR4 RAM. ASUS Crosshair x370.

ShaheedMalik

Re: Alternative or workaround for compound clip?

PostMon Apr 29, 2024 2:49 pm

You could try to make the layers underneath the grain layer a compound clip.

Jim Simon

Re: Alternative or workaround for compound clip?

PostMon Apr 29, 2024 8:31 pm

Ideally Compound Clips and Nested Timelines would work flawlessly. Until they do...

If the contents won't change, rendering out a stand alone file is one way.

If you do need to change the contents, keeping that Intro in it's own timeline and exporting as a .drt file should work.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Return to DaVinci Resolve