Relinking media after using "update timecode from audio trac

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Ryan Bloomer

Relinking media after using "update timecode from audio trac

PostMon Apr 29, 2024 3:23 pm

I think I've run into a bug in 18.6.6 where I'm unable to relink files from a shared cloud project to the original source after updating timecode from audio for dual sync sound.

The computer I'm on can see the files on disk, but importing the files, trying to reconnect via relinking, changing source location, as well as replace selected clip, all show the files as offline.

Without having to restart the editing from scratch, I've not found a way to reconnect this media locally.
Anyone know a workaround?

Windows 10
Resolve Studio 18.6.6

Steve Alexander

Re: Relinking media after using "update timecode from audio

PostMon Apr 29, 2024 4:19 pm

Did you update the timecode from audio track after you editing the clips into the timeline?
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 | Fusion Studio 19.0b1 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

Ryan Bloomer

PostMon Apr 29, 2024 4:39 pm

That's what we're trying to figure out but I don't think so, because I have a separate project for "syncing and logging" and all of that footage reconnects without issue.

I've tried exporting the .drt of the problematic project and importing it into the "syncing and logging" project, but the files don't reconnect either. Next step is to see if I can force conform from the media pool to the timeline, if that works I could try batch conforming.......

Ryan Bloomer

PostTue Apr 30, 2024 11:56 am

Backtracking this, the timecode matches the edit after the timecode was updated. So it would appear it is not user error.

If I delete all the media out of the project where the timeline edit is used, and then reimport the footage, the footage remains offline. My best guess is the auto path mapping is what's causing the error.

The original "logging and syncing" project, I was the "owner" of and the path maps are set to my locations. The newly edited project is "owned" by my coworker. So the path maps are different between the two projects. I have not been able to successfully relink the files in the edited project or sequence to my path map locations.

Ryan Bloomer

PostTue Apr 30, 2024 1:40 pm

update:

This is all 100% occurring because of auto path maps. Auto Pathmaps works perfectly when both editing systems are identical in their storage usage. When the storage is different, the auto path maps create an endless loop of where to look for the media. I had to reconnect every bin after deleting all of the path maps section, and not sure the offline media cog in the media pool. After "unlinking" all source media, and manually reconnecting each reel/bin to my local location, the path maps work for this project.

I'm not sure how to avoid this in the future other than making sure both shared projects have the same sized storage on each end. If there is a way around the endless auto path maps loop I have not been able to find it.

Return to DaVinci Resolve