Sudden, massive performance decrease, please help???

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

APOTHECARY.music

Sudden, massive performance decrease, please help???

PostTue Apr 30, 2024 9:47 pm

Hello! I have a very perplexing and very new issue with my installation of Resolve. I've been working with a very short and simple project, about 1 minute long, and have exported a few different versions. I restarted my laptop recently, and when I returned to render a new version of the project, the render time that has been around 1-2 minutes originally is now literally 2+ hours. I was initially rendering out to 4K, H.264 or H.265, 2 full passes, and those exports were completed in about 2 minutes.

I'm using a 2023 Dell XPS 16 with an NVIDIA 4070 GPU. Windows 11 Pro. I've attached my Resolve log file to this post.

I have not changed any settings, or made any changes to my knowledge besides restarting my computer. Since this weird performance hit, I've done the following:

- Download the very latest NVIDIA Creator drivers and do a fresh install, v. 552.22
- Check to make sure GPU/CPU performance sliders are still maxed out in Resolve and that the 4070 is the preferred GPU, they are
- Close all other applications
- Monitor system resources to track GPU/CPU usage and temp: the GPU usage has been doing something that seems strange, bouncing erratically between 1% and 20-30%. I haven't watched it before, but that doesn't seem normal for encoding
- Address any thermal throttling: even though GPU temps were only around ~65C (it's hot in Central Texas), I put the laptop in the freezer for a bit and ran the GPU at 15C. Same issue, no thermal throttling, seemingly

This came out of nowhere, and it's pretty crippling. I can't imagine how long it will take to render something that's long than 1 minute and has anything other than straight cuts. : / The only other thing I can think of is running some deep malware scans, even though Task Manager shows nominally low resource usage at idle.

Any assistance at all would be greatly appreciated, thank you for your time and attention!

Kindly,
Tristan
Attachments
DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20240430-163537.zip
(994.27 KiB) Downloaded 9 times

APOTHECARY.music

Re: Sudden, massive performance decrease, please help???

PostFri May 03, 2024 2:20 am

Update: well, as inexplicably as it came, it went. For whatever reason, now that I've fired up a new project, render times are blazing fast again. I don't really like not knowing what happened, but I'll take it. Even the project that was an issue now renders just fine - down to 2 minutes from 2 hours.

Best wishes to everyone out there!

Kindly,
Tristan

Return to DaVinci Resolve