tool to isolate & control skin tones?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Leonardo Levy

tool to isolate & control skin tones?

PostThu May 02, 2024 12:25 am

I'm wondering if there is a really good tool around specifically for isolating and correcting the hue, saturation and luminosity of flesh tones only . I use the qualifier, but its simply a dangerous tool and you have to be super careful to not end up having it flickering during a shot . I've use used the Color Warper to mixed results, but to be honest maybe I just haven't read enough about its various tools to get maximum control. Likewise the Hue vs Hue etc curves don't seem to isolate enough . I'd love something like some of the DCTL's that target specific colors but haven't seen one especially for skin tones. Maybe its because they vary and are desaturated to begin with.
A number of people have told me that Darren Mostyn's tutorial about the mononodes skin tone tool was just that, but all that does is show you when your skin tone is right - it doesn't help you get there. I'm doing a grading job right now that requires a lot of changes to the background colors and i have to isolate the skin tones so they don't get affected. Its further complicated because its a dance piece set in the redwoods and the costumes are all orange so between tree trunks, costumes and dirt, there's a lot that is very close to flesh tone all the time.

Suggestions welcome. Thanks - Lenny
2021 16" Macbook Pro M1MAX (18,2), 64G RAM, 8T internal SSD, 10 Cores CPU, 32 Cores GPU, Apple Display Pro XDR, Apple Thunderbolt Display, BM UltraStudio Monitor 3G , Flanders Scientific BM211

visualfeast

Re: tool to isolate & control skin tones?

PostThu May 02, 2024 1:04 am

Doesn’t the new Color Slice have a skin-tone parameter?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
•Ryzen 5950x/64G/103TB RAID/4080 Super FE/Intensity Pro 4K/2x PA278CGV/U2415/Shogun 7/HPE LTO-6/Stream Deck XL
•ZBook 17 G3/64G/Quadro M5000M
•Inspiron 16+/32G/RTX3060
Resolve Studio v18.1.4 (x2)/Windows 10 Pro 22H2

Leonardo Levy

PostThu May 02, 2024 2:50 am

Damn , your right , I thought I had seen something somewhere. That's only in 19 BETA right?
Unfortunately , I've been reluctant to switch into a BETA version in the middle of a project with a deadline in a few days. It would be fabulous for this project though on a number of levels, including the filmlook emulation .

Have there been many reports about Res 19 stability ?
2021 16" Macbook Pro M1MAX (18,2), 64G RAM, 8T internal SSD, 10 Cores CPU, 32 Cores GPU, Apple Display Pro XDR, Apple Thunderbolt Display, BM UltraStudio Monitor 3G , Flanders Scientific BM211

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostThu May 02, 2024 3:45 am

Leonardo, that is really an art, there is no "magic button", but usually a combination of techniques.

I like combining 3d mask with shapes with light warp bending, but I do mostly Movies and TV where you color for skin tone first and let the rest go where it falls...

if you have a look where you have to roto/change the skin tone of half of your people, you might want to reconsider the approach...
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

LennyL

PostThu May 02, 2024 4:12 am

Thanks Walter - "combining 3d mask with shapes with light warp bending"

I'm not sure what 3D masks are - Is that Fusion which I still have yet to learn .

Because the piece I'm grading wants to change the background in some cases its hard to keep it from also affecting the faces. I ve also tried starting with the skin tones & then changing the environment but sometimes its better the other way. Also multiple different cameras with different spectral responses so matching has been tricky .
I've been able to do it but its been a little painful sometimes. Wondered if there was a faster more precise tool. I'm downloading 19 BETA just to check it out but I'm pretty nervous about switching horses midstream. This show has been a PITA already and I don't need anymore trouble! :-)
Color Slice sounds promising in theory at least.
Leonard Levy
2017 iMac 4.2 Ghz i7
64G RAM
Radeon Pro 580 8G

Leonardo Levy

PostThu May 02, 2024 6:41 am

Do youi guys know if I can download Res 19 to experiment without getting rid of 18 which I'd be using for my project ?

If so I'm wondering if I could finish the project in 18 , copy the project , then bring it into 19 to try the film look options like grain etc.

- Lenny

Uli Plank

PostThu May 02, 2024 7:57 am

It’s quite easy on a Mac: use some reasonably fast storage you can erase, put a fresh Ventura on it, boot from there and add only 19. A ‘sandbox’ to avoid being bitten.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Marc Wielage

PostThu May 02, 2024 8:19 am

waltervolpatto wrote:Leonardo, that is really an art, there is no "magic button", but usually a combination of techniques.

I was formulating a way to say just this, but Walter (of course) beat me to it. And he is absolutely right. There is no magic "fix skin tones" button -- it basically boils down to skill and time, plus the circumstances of the shoot.

God help you if there's mixed lighting or exposure problems, and the client expects perfect skin tones... :?
Certified DaVinci Resolve Color Trainer • AdvancedColorTraining.com

KrunoSmithy

PostThu May 02, 2024 6:03 pm

Leonardo Levy wrote:I'd love something like some of the DCTL's that target specific colors but haven't seen one especially for skin tones.

You can use this one. Works quite well. Just apply it as DCTL, in gray mode and use vectorscope skin tone line to adjust skin tone with another color correction node of your choice, and when you are done, deactivate the DCTL one.

https://github.com/ra100/dctl-utils

Screenshot 2024-05-02 at 20-02-05 GitHub - ra100_dctl-utils Some small DCTL for DaVinci Resolve.png
Screenshot 2024-05-02 at 20-02-05 GitHub - ra100_dctl-utils Some small DCTL for DaVinci Resolve.png (493 KiB) Viewed 432 times

Skin Tone Util

inspired by "Skin Tone Indicator" from MONONODES (https://mononodes.com/utility-dctl/)

highlights skin tone
use sliders to modify tolerances

Indicator

Gray Mask
How does it work?

Picks a hue of 18°, which should be a skin tone line. And anything that is inside saturation and luminance boundaries and Hue +/- tolerance is marked as yellow, anything below is green and above is magenta.

Installation
Copy .dctl files to your LUT folder set up in DaVinci Resolve

Leonardo Levy

PostThu May 02, 2024 11:28 pm

Thanks, I'm a little dumb about code though. How do you install a DCTL just from code like this one?
Usually I get a file that is labeled as a DCTL and I drop that in.

Never Mind it dropped right in . Thanks

KrunoSmithy

PostFri May 03, 2024 7:48 am

Leonardo Levy wrote:Thanks, I'm a little dumb about code though. How do you install a DCTL just from code like this one? Usually I get a file that is labeled as a DCTL and I drop that in. Never Mind it dropped right in . Thanks

Oh, ok, Cool. I usually just put DCTL's in a LUT folder for Resolve in a DCTL folder inside the main LUT folder. If someone has a better way, please let me know, since I have tones of DCTL's the list can be a mile long and not easy to navigate.

Anyway. The basic workflow I use for now is this...

skin-tone-sshot-3942.jpg
skin-tone-sshot-3942.jpg (699.35 KiB) Viewed 335 times

If I feel the results are not to my liking I can always adjust it further. Although in most cases when you get skin tones correct, most of the white balance and everything falls in place.

Additionally there is a cool little DCTL I use for some skin work adjustment. You can find that one as well on github.

TetraInterp-DCTL-master

For skin tones I usually use: TetraInterpHSV.dctl

Tetra DCTLs with inversion and black point controls. Also a very mediocre pseudo-HSV version.

https://github.com/hotgluebanjo/TetraInterp-DCTL

Leonardo Levy

PostFri May 03, 2024 10:51 am

Thanks Kruno, I'm playing with that stuff and its helpful.

Leonardo Levy

PostFri May 03, 2024 10:52 am

Thanks Kruno, I'm playing with that stuff and its helpful.

Only trouble is I start experimenting with all these new ways of doing things and I haven't done a damn thing on the actual grade!

KrunoSmithy

PostFri May 03, 2024 5:11 pm

Leonardo Levy wrote:Thanks Kruno, I'm playing with that stuff and its helpful.

Only trouble is I start experimenting with all these new ways of doing things and I haven't done a damn thing on the actual grade!

Hehe. No problem. New toys can always be exciting. All in moderation, right? Including moderation.

Cheers!

Return to DaVinci Resolve