Surround Somehow goes to 141F?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Alexrocks1253

Surround Somehow goes to 141F?

PostThu May 02, 2024 7:07 pm

Some of my channels on a DaVinci Resolve surround timeline have forgotten their pan options and settled on 141F, a F/B pan that doesn't exist. Why does this happen? I have used no automation on these tracks and just have them hard panned for simple dialogue and other things of the sort. Attached is a picture of the problem.

DaVinci Resolve 18.6.6 build 7
MacBook Pro M2 Max 32GB RAM 1TB SSD
MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-05-02 at 3.03.07 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-05-02 at 3.03.07 PM.png (154.9 KiB) Viewed 589 times
What will you create today?

Alexrocks1253

Re: Surround Somehow goes to 141F?

PostThu May 02, 2024 7:16 pm

It may have something to do with alt dragging clips for duplicates. For some reason that causes automation to go crazy even though the automation is for the tracks and not the clips. Can't things just work and not be buggy? Is that too much to ask?

Marc Wielage

PostFri May 03, 2024 2:53 am

I have also seen this kind of thing happened with corrupted Pan/Volume information in Pro Tools. If it gets a weird number that's not supposed to be there, it results in havoc (sometimes even crashes or corrupted sessions). I don't have a fix except to manually enter the correct value again and see if it "sticks."
Certified DaVinci Resolve Color Trainer • AdvancedColorTraining.com

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostFri May 03, 2024 3:21 am

IF you can provide a Resolve project that shows this and steps to repo we are happy to look at it.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Alexrocks1253

PostFri May 03, 2024 10:05 am

Marc Wielage wrote:I have also seen this kind of thing happened with corrupted Pan/Volume information in Pro Tools. If it gets a weird number that's not supposed to be there, it results in havoc (sometimes even crashes or corrupted sessions). I don't have a fix except to manually enter the correct value again and see if it "sticks."

Yeah. I've been editing exclusively in Fairlight for audio to simplify things for myself and it seems that alt-dragging clips sometimes suddenly enables automation on a track. This doesn't cause the 141F glitch and I haven't been able to reproduce it so far (fingers crossed it doesn't happen for final export). As a workaround, I will check pans of all channels before each export. Tedious but I am not on the latest version of Resolve and updating during a project would probably break a litany of VFX I've done.

I wish I could disable automation quickly on a track by track basis but seems the only way to do that is to go to automation settings, select what I want to disable, then use the range tool and go to the top bar on Mac to delete it.

The delete key unfortunately deletes the clip even when I'm in an automation viewing mode, unlike Pro Tools, so there doesn't seem to be a quick way when the software messes up. For reference, the alt-dragged clip contains no automation at all and it creating new track automation data doesn't make sense to me considering usually it just sticks an automation point at the same fader position, practically locking my fader unless I use or disable automation for the entire track...

Not to mention I'm also doing 5.1 surround so confusion was a guarantee in the first place. This is the sort of stuff I wish my university would teach me but apparently doing the same curriculum of a high school film class is enough for them...

Alexrocks1253

PostFri May 03, 2024 10:07 am

Peter Chamberlain wrote:IF you can provide a Resolve project that shows this and steps to repo we are happy to look at it.

Unfortunately can't replicate, Peter. I will send a drp if it happens again.
For all I know it may be something fixed in 19, but if I update, more things could possibly go wrong with my project than currently and I can't afford to have that happen.

Alexrocks1253

PostWed May 15, 2024 3:38 pm

I found out what causes the problem. Deleting audio tracks causes some (usually mono ones panned towards the back) to "forget" their panning and go to the impossible 141F as well as centering for the L/R pan. The current fix would be to enable pan automation on all tracks that have any panning and set it to a static horizontal line. Hope this is fixed in DR 19!

Return to DaVinci Resolve