Studio License disappears after Time-Machine Restore

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Nic Dee

Studio License disappears after Time-Machine Restore

PostThu May 02, 2024 8:48 pm

Hey folks,

I'm trying to understand what happened with my Resolve Studio license that disappeared after I did a Time-Machine restore to an earlier system image of my Mac. The image I restored was only 1 day old and it contained my fully installed and ACTIVATED Resolve Studio.

However, when I launched Resolve Studio after that Time-Machine system restore, Resolve asked for my license activation code, which I entered, and instead of using my current active license for that computer, it used my 2nd installation license I still had in reserve.

So basically Resolve Studio is now using my 2 installations to run 1 version of Studio in my Mac, and I have no more installations available for my future laptop...

I contacted support 2 days ago but no reply as of yet.

Has anyone experienced such a disappearance of your license after a Time-Machine system restore?

Any thoughts on what might have happened, and / or what to do in the future if a Time-Machine system restore is needed?

I'd like to figure out how to do this without losing my Resolve Studio license.

I'm on an M1 MAX Mac Studio 32GB Ram, using the last Monterey version (I think it's 12.7.4), and using Resolve Studio 18.6

Thanks for any info.

carlomacchiavello

Re: Studio License disappears after Time-Machine Restore

PostThu May 02, 2024 9:13 pm

When you activate laptop It will count like third activation and de activate first missed activation. No problem. It’s a way how to work activation.

No I never used Time Machine. I can’t know why it deactivate resolve.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Nic Dee

PostThu May 02, 2024 9:19 pm

carlomacchiavello wrote:When you activate laptop It will count like third activation and de activate first missed activation. No problem. It’s a way how to work activation.

No I never used Time Machine. I can’t know why it deactivate resolve.

Thanks for the info.

The message I got when entering my activation key did not really explain this, rather it said: "Has been successfully activated. No activations left."

:o

Not reassuring...

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

PostFri May 03, 2024 3:01 am

Linking FAQs on licensing and Peter Chamberlain's answer in a different thread.

In short, you still have your license and the ability to reuse it. With activation key based licenses:
• you have the option to work on two systems simultaneously. The license is not tied to specific systems.
• You can recover an activation instance for reuse. From the Help menu, select deactivate license. DaVinci Resolve Studio will close. On the new system, install DaVinci Resolve Studio and enter activation key when prompted. If you did not deactivate, DaVinci Resolve Studio considers this as a secondary system, and takes up the remaining instance.
• When there are no activations left, you can reset all prior activations as a fallback. This is useful for corrupt disk / unstable machine scenarios when you can't deactivate. You will then need to re-enter your activation key on both systems. Note that this is meant as a failsafe - if you attempt to reset too many times per week, you may need to contact Blackmagic Support to verify your activation details.

Return to DaVinci Resolve