Best Practice for Project Library-Database-Project files

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

mrnacmx

Best Practice for Project Library-Database-Project files

PostFri May 03, 2024 4:42 pm

After searching ad nauseam, AND creating a trainwreck of my folder structures I must ask with "hat in hand" the best way to manage the Project Libraries and Disk Database. Previously I have created a new

- "Project Library" for each client (Left pane under "Project Libraries)
- Then create new "Project" in right pane projects window for each unique job for that client

Problem....."Back Up Now" (In Project Libraries Sidebar) creates a XXX.resolve named file which is a .diskdb file
...."Export Project" (In Projects Main Window) creates a .drp file

- In attempting to backup everything I now have a total mess of .db files that WILL NOT OPEN/import/restore and have placed in a proper directory etc and Resolve simply will not recognize them, meaning that I can see them when exploring folders outside Resolve but inside Resolve...no joy. So I have say (20) .db files that are named "Project" or "User" that cannot be opened/imported/restored and therefore the associated project files are MIA...odd thing is that when exporting sometimes it would create a .drp file and sometimes not. User error I guess.

The Disk Database is where your project files are stored, while the Project Library is the virtual repository that manages and organizes your projects, ok I get it.....sort of.

* Is it best to create just one PROJECT LIBRARY on left sidebar and then organize all clients/jobs in the main projects window to the right? By creating a database for each client has this just created a fog on the freeway multi car pileup? My logic behind doing that was so that if a database became corrupt or damaged it would not grenade all my work, but am I correct in now thinking that if I were to have one single local database and then managed/organized all clients/projects from within the "Projects" window that when back up database it would create .drp files for each client which could then be re-imported if the database file were to corrupt?

*What is best method to back up the whole mess in one swoop?....the Project Library with all associated projects?.......and I guess the database file is just the file naming the path to the physical location?

project.PNG
project.PNG (4.06 KiB) Viewed 409 times

user.PNG
user.PNG (9.12 KiB) Viewed 409 times

RESOLVE 18.6
Windows 10

Return to DaVinci Resolve