Best Practice for Project Library-Database-Project files

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

mrnacmx

Best Practice for Project Library-Database-Project files

PostFri May 03, 2024 4:49 pm

After searching ad nauseam, AND creating a trainwreck of my folder structures I must ask with "hat in hand" the best way to manage the Project Libraries and Disk Database. Previously I have created a new

- "Project Library" for each client
- Then create new "Project" in projects window for each unique job for that client

Problem....."Back Up Now" (In Project Libraries Sidebar) creates a XXX.resolve named file which is a .diskdb file
...."Export Project" (In Projects Main Window) creates a .drp file

- In attempting to backup everything I now have a total mess of .db files that WILL NOT OPEN or import, and have placed in a proper directory etc and Resolve simply will not recognize them, meaning that I can see them when exploring folders outside Resolve but inside Resolve...no joy. So exploring I have say (20) .db files that are named "Project" and that cannot be opened. Having given up on that I will ask the main question.

Is it best to create just one PROJECT LIBRARY on left sidebar and then organize all clients/jobs in the main projects window to the right?

project.PNG

Jim Simon

Re: Best Practice for Project Library-Database-Project files

PostFri May 03, 2024 5:11 pm

You can 'import' a project file (.drp), but Libraries/Dabatases have to be 'connected'.

Is that what you're attempting?

(On a side note - don't play with the Database files on the hard drive.)
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

mrnacmx

PostFri May 03, 2024 11:32 pm

Jim,
thank you for taking the time to reply. I have been able to connect the .diskdb and .drp yet the .db files...going to just give in to the fact that I will ignore at this time and as you suggested not fiddle with any database files.

It all started in a Spring Cleaning attempt and cementing an SOP for myself...i.e. backed up all Project Libraries there were 15 +, and also and exported all projects there were approx 50+ and then removed all Project Libraries in left pane to start over with new naming convention.....next restored Project Libraries with new names, the ones that somehow disappeared...I attemped to "Import Project" in Projects pane and some worked some didn't and some vanished. This was a spaghetti bowl of my own making so no big deal, my most important Projects were able to come back in with all edits etc.

After more reading it does not seem there is industry advice on whether or not to create a unique Project Library for each client...but...still looking for the easiest way to organize so that this mess can be transferred to other computers, backed up and the like.

Thanks and cheers.

Marc Wielage

PostSat May 04, 2024 2:33 am

mrnacmx wrote:After searching ad nauseam, AND creating a trainwreck of my folder structures I must ask with "hat in hand" the best way to manage the Project Libraries and Disk Database. Previously I have created a new

- "Project Library" for each client
- Then create new "Project" in projects window for each unique job for that client

Problem....."Back Up Now" (In Project Libraries Sidebar) creates a XXX.resolve named file which is a .diskdb file
...."Export Project" (In Projects Main Window) creates a .drp file

What if instead of doing it that way, you just backup each project individually, project by project? At the end of each day, either do a "Save As" and manually place the DRP in a specific folder, or select the project in the Project Manager and Export a DRP to wherever you want. There's a lot of ways to do manual backups. It doesn't have to be complicated.
Certified DaVinci Resolve Color Trainer • AdvancedColorTraining.com

mrnacmx

PostTue May 07, 2024 11:17 pm

Thank you Marc....I like that approach, less complicated. Your time and knowledge are very much appreciated.

Return to DaVinci Resolve