Windows vs Mac mouse scroll dropdown menu behaviour

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

askomiko

Windows vs Mac mouse scroll dropdown menu behaviour

PostFri May 03, 2024 6:23 pm

Hi! I've used Resolve on PC for a few years and just switched over to the dark side, this is my first show stopper on the Mac: Let's say I'm on the Color tab and adjusting stuff inside a node. If there is a dropdown menu, in PC world hovering over the dropdown menu and scrolling the mouse wheel, it changes the values in the menu. Is there a way to replicate this in the Mac? For example, if I'm going through the film profiles in Dehancer plugin, there are quite a few of them, and looking at the monitor while scrolling through them with the mouse is perfect. Now, in Mac I have to click and reopen the menu each time again and again, it gets old really quick. Scrolling through the list doesn't change the value, it just scrolls the UI up and down. What can I do to make this tolerable in Mac?

A gif would would be worth a thousand words here but here's just a screenshot:
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-05-03 at 21.22.30.png
Screenshot 2024-05-03 at 21.22.30.png (160.77 KiB) Viewed 492 times
Last edited by askomiko on Sat May 04, 2024 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Marc Wielage

Re: Windows vs Mac mouse scroll dropdown menu behaviour

PostSat May 04, 2024 2:43 am

All those values are specious (to me) -- they're just names the developers came up with to describe what they thought of the various looks. They don't really relate to what those film emulsions mathematically and chemically relate to -- it's more of an "idea."

What I'd tell you to do is: go through each of them manually, and when you find a combination of settings that you like... then save that as a PowerGrade. What I do is, once I have a node with the right settings for a plug-in like Dehancer, then I create a new Version, delete every node except the one with Dehancer in it, then save that as a PowerGrade. Ideally, I'd drop in a title for it so the PowerGrade is easily understood (like "Dehancer 5247 Night" or something), and make sure the Node is labeled and the Gallery Still is labeled. Then I'd go back to the original grade Version and get on with the show.

I agree that it would be nice to be able to save user prefs and so on for plug-ins like this. I think there are good reasons why this is challenging for the developers to do.
Certified DaVinci Resolve Color Trainer • AdvancedColorTraining.com

askomiko

Re: Windows vs Mac mouse scroll dropdown menu behaviour

PostSat May 04, 2024 9:52 am

Saving nodes or matching anything is not the problem, but the behaviour of dropdown menus in anything. Theres lots of customization possibilities but not for this I guess, it’s an OS thing right? Horror beyond my imagination.

Return to DaVinci Resolve