Filter correction backlighting from the sun

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

KW_1963

Filter correction backlighting from the sun

PostSat May 04, 2024 5:52 pm

Hello,

Which filter (in DVR-Studio 19 Beta 2) is best to use if your recordings (4K) suffer from light backlighting from the sun? Thanks in advance for the comments.

Greetings Koos
Attachments
Schermafbeelding 2024-05-04 194025.jpg
Schermafbeelding 2024-05-04 194025.jpg (540.12 KiB) Viewed 531 times

Marc Wielage

Re: Filter correction backlighting from the sun

PostSun May 05, 2024 1:42 am

KW_1963 wrote:Which filter (in DVR-Studio 19 Beta 2) is best to use if your recordings (4K) suffer from light backlighting from the sun? Thanks in advance for the comments.

Overall balance (to me) starts with getting the overall color temp right, the RGB balance set correctly, and then applying a reasonable contrast curve. Ideally, you'd fix the first with camera Raw files, but if you don't have those, then it's open to interpretation.

If you believe the "white stars" in the set background need to be pure white, then I'd start with those. The whole thing looks like mixed lighting with some yellow contamination, but I'd have to see more to really know for sure. Understanding what specific camera shot it and what format you're dealing with would help.

The Chromatic Adaptation color temp adjustment controls are actually pretty good, and that's what I'd grab first if somebody threw a shot at me and I had no idea what camera was used to shoot it. There are things you can do to "fake" a reasonable overall balance. It's not technically correct, but you can get usable material out of it, even in client situations. Ideally, you'd always want to use proper color management and all that, but if the original of the files is dodgy, and you have a deadline to meet, then all you can do is push ahead and give them pictures they can work with.
Certified DaVinci Resolve Color Trainer • AdvancedColorTraining.com

Sam Steti

Re: Filter correction backlighting from the sun

PostSun May 05, 2024 9:26 am

Hey

Yep, I agree, and try to reassure you : you're not in an extreme situation ;)
What I'd quickly do : look at the parade, make correct primaries first of all (looks like you're about to tweak the lift a lot), then only make it suitable and indeed play with the contrast too...

But what Marc wrote questions me : are the stars behind the frogs really supposed to be white ? :) For me it looks like they are like shiny golden ones, aren't they ?
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

Return to DaVinci Resolve