Help with how to start with HDR video editing

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

AdAstra

Help with how to start with HDR video editing

PostSun May 05, 2024 12:01 pm

Hi

I am new to video editing and DaVinci Resolve, but have good experience in photo editing so understand the concepts of color management etc. I am looking to understand what HDR editing capabilities my setup has. I am just an amateur looking to get the best out of my camera video recording and playback on my HDR 4K TV.

My setup is:
1) Record video in my mirrorless camera using log. Also record small amount using my iPhone in HDR.
2) Editing is on a Windows 10 PC. Reasonable config: Intel i9 13900K processor, 128GB RAM, Nvidia 4070Ti graphics card.
3) DaVinci Resolve Studio version 18.6
4) Single Monitor: Eizo CG2700X, not true HDR but will reach 500Nits, and has display options for PQ DCI P3 etc.

I think a 500 nit HDR workflow would work and get me a bit more than SDR and I could view on my monitor. I think a 1000 Nit workflow would be better for the TV and maybe I could use 1000Nit workflow on the PC and use the scopes to monitor brightness between 500 and 1000 nits.

Questions
1) Is there any advantage to upgrade to Windows 11 for HDR editing?
2) Do I need a BlackMagic playback device like the UltraStudio Monitor 3G as I do not have a separate playback monitor?
3) What HDR workflow capabilities does my setup have, am I close with my assumptions above or am I totally off track?
4) Where is the best place to find training on HDR workflow in DaVinci Resolve?

Many thanks

shebbe

Re: Help with how to start with HDR video editing

PostMon May 06, 2024 9:06 am

1) Is there any advantage to upgrade to Windows 11 for HDR editing?
Not that I'm aware of.

2) Do I need a BlackMagic playback device like the UltraStudio Monitor 3G as I do not have a separate playback monitor?
Yes/No, I believe they have plans to support HDR signal to OS controlled displays in final v19 release but I'm not fully sure about that claim. If it's not what it appears to be then yes with a caveat.
If you are able to force an HDR signal to the monitor rather than have it managed through the OS you could do without. But the downside is that the OS doesn't know that it's HDR so any element that isn't considered that will be firey as hell. You won't be able to use it as UI monitor.

3) What HDR workflow capabilities does my setup have, am I close with my assumptions above or am I totally off track?

While it's looking fancy on paper, any HDR display that isn't a form of OLED or MiniLED is futile imo. Despite being capable to reach 500nits this won't mean anything if black is raised along side it due to massive amount of light bleed. If you HDR TV is an OLED it is probably best to get a hardware device to have a clean HDR feed to that instead of your desktop monitor for better results.

4) Where is the best place to find training on HDR workflow in DaVinci Resolve?
Having a proper HDR setup is the most important. I don't think there is much different to HDR grading over SDR grading aside from the image being able to reach much greater color volume and dynamic range. The most important aspects to understand is roughly what a normal image should look like regarding distribution across the nits, how to make sure the color management is setup correctly on soft and hardware side, and how to deliver/export regarding format and settings.
Don't know any specific go to resource in that regard..
Home System Resolve 18.6b9: Z790 / i9 13900K / 64GB DDR5 / RTX4090 / Win 11 / ASUS PA32UGC 1600 nits
Office System Resolve 18.6b9: X570 / Ryzen 9 5900X / 128GB DDR4 / RTX4090 / Win 11 / EIZO CG248-K

AdAstra

PostMon May 06, 2024 7:15 pm

Many thanks for the reply and useful info.

Creating even a simple HDR video looks a challenge, I will have to try V19 of DaVinci Resolve when it is released.

Jim Simon

PostMon May 06, 2024 10:50 pm

This is sure to rankle professional colorists, but it's a process I use for personal projects, and it works well enough.

Grade with these settings...
HDR Grade.png
HDR Grade.png (67.92 KiB) Viewed 246 times

Then when you're ready to export, change to these settings...
HDR Export.png
HDR Export.png (75.38 KiB) Viewed 246 times

And use these settings for Delivery, changing only Resolution, Frame rate and Key Frames accordingly.
HDR Deliver.png
HDR Deliver.png (107.67 KiB) Viewed 240 times
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

John Paines

PostMon May 06, 2024 11:09 pm

Forget it, you can't do it reliably at home. It's hard enough to satisfy rec. 709 standards. Jim's suggestions should horrify amateurs as well. The fact that you fill in the fields a certain way doesn't mean you're producing anything which could be decently called "HDR".

Jim Simon

PostMon May 06, 2024 11:29 pm

Oh, I won't claim any kind of "HDR" status.

I only claim it will trigger HDR mode on your TV...and it'll look pretty damn good. :) (Assuming you did the grade well enough.)
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Return to DaVinci Resolve