Colors washing out on export and conversion.

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

DaveHarter

Colors washing out on export and conversion.

PostMon May 06, 2024 2:22 pm

I've been searching and reading on this for two days and don't feel any closer. I understand a bit more about color space and gamma, and how to change settings, but haven't made a dent in the issue.

I found that in the process of uploading a regular version and a washed out version to youtube, that youtube automatically converted the washed out version and it looks fine. (They're a bit too loud, caution.) So is it just VLC that is washing out colors on these rendered videos? What's happening?

Washed out: https://youtube.com/shorts/Wx99ZM9VmrQ

As it should be: https://youtube.com/shorts/7rVbobcDxR8

Details:
Camera:
Lumix G7 sRGB (I think?)
I accidentally shot outdoors using the incandecent white balance mode, so everything looked a little blue.
AVCHD1080 .MTS
System:
System Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 64bit
AMD Ryzen 7 5700G with Radeon Graphics 3.80 GHz - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060
Resolve 18.6 Free
Process:
Convert MTS to MP4 via handbrake using "factory" settings, because DaVinci was dropping audio on the .MTS files.
Edit MP4 clips, add title and end cards, underscore, and do some minor color grading to correct the error mentioned above.
Render using "factory" settings under the "Youtube" preset. Everthing looks like it's been wiped with bleach. Change settings around and discover that Quicktime looks pretty good. Attempt to take .MOV file into HandBrake and convert it to MP4, wash-out returns!
Go on bender trying to understand color grading and gamma.

Cards and Clips.PNG
Uploading because the fact that the cards wash out as much as the clips could help narrow down the diagnosis.
Cards and Clips.PNG (149.41 KiB) Viewed 141 times

General Settings.PNG
General Settings.PNG (55.64 KiB) Viewed 141 times

Project Settings.PNG
Project Settings.PNG (66.34 KiB) Viewed 141 times

Return to DaVinci Resolve