Camera Raw Palette - contrast linear or S-curve?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Michel Rabe

Camera Raw Palette - contrast linear or S-curve?

PostTue May 07, 2024 9:16 am

Does the contrast setting in the camera raw tab use an S-curve or is it linear or does it depend on the camera/raw format?

shebbe

Re: Camera Raw Palette - contrast linear or S-curve?

PostTue May 07, 2024 7:14 pm

I think that's always an s-curve applied in camera linear.
For .braw all the gamma sliders sort of deviate from camera native film (log) curve when adjusted away from 1.0. The BMD Video spaces are just presets of those sliders essentially.

Personally not a fan of adjusting raw parameters since they're not visually (UI) clear of artist creative or technical intent unless compared against metadata as captured. Only global parameters like the decoding color space and resolution I deem relevant.
Home System Resolve 18.6b9: Z790 / i9 13900K / 64GB DDR5 / RTX4090 / Win 11 / ASUS PA32UGC 1600 nits
Office System Resolve 18.6b9: X570 / Ryzen 9 5900X / 128GB DDR4 / RTX4090 / Win 11 / EIZO CG248-K

Michel Rabe

PostWed May 08, 2024 8:03 am

Thanks.

ZRGARDNE

PostThu May 09, 2024 2:18 am

shebbe wrote:
Personally not a fan of adjusting raw parameters since they're not visually (UI) clear of artist creative or technical intent unless compared against metadata as captured. Only global parameters like the decoding color space and resolution I deem relevant.

Yes I find the workflow of raw tab not ideal. No doubt huge potential for confusion.

Marc Wielage

PostThu May 09, 2024 2:56 am

shebbe wrote:Personally not a fan of adjusting raw parameters since they're not visually (UI) clear of artist creative or technical intent unless compared against metadata as captured. Only global parameters like the decoding color space and resolution I deem relevant.

We generally tell students to just make the "coarse" adjustments in the Raw tab, and 90% of the time that boils down to what the DP shot on set. Then we make all subsequent adjustments with Lift/Gamma/Gain and sometimes with curves in the next 4-5 nodes. I credit Patrick Inhofer of MixingLight.com as being one of the first to advise this method around 6-7 years ago, where he compared doing all the adjustments in the Raw tab vs. doing most of the adjustments in Resolve's controls. It almost makes no difference, except that you can actually use a control surface for most of the Resolve adjustments.

People get hung up on using the Raw controls, but really, that's not the way to adjust all of the image. Creative intent boils down to the picture you see, not the methodology used to get there.
Certified DaVinci Resolve Color Trainer • AdvancedColorTraining.com

Michel Rabe

PostThu May 09, 2024 7:34 am

Ok I just asked if contrast was linear or s-curve, that escalated quickly into a workflow debate :)

ZRGARDNE

PostFri May 10, 2024 11:05 am

Michel Rabe wrote:Ok I just asked if contrast was linear or s-curve, that escalated quickly into a workflow debate :)

If the answer is 'Don't use it' then the shape doesn't matter :lol:

shebbe

PostFri May 10, 2024 12:39 pm

ZRGARDNE wrote:If the answer is 'Don't use it' then the shape doesn't matter :lol:
If the question was raised out of curiosity in efforts to learn and understand, the question of use/don't use doesn't matter ;)
Home System Resolve 18.6b9: Z790 / i9 13900K / 64GB DDR5 / RTX4090 / Win 11 / ASUS PA32UGC 1600 nits
Office System Resolve 18.6b9: X570 / Ryzen 9 5900X / 128GB DDR4 / RTX4090 / Win 11 / EIZO CG248-K

Michel Rabe

PostFri May 10, 2024 1:18 pm

ZRGARDNE wrote:
Michel Rabe wrote:Ok I just asked if contrast was linear or s-curve, that escalated quickly into a workflow debate :)

If the answer is 'Don't use it' then the shape doesn't matter :lol:

You are aware that BMD's Braw flavors use it?

E.g. Extended Video is a great starting point for Blackmagic footage and it makes use of the Raw Pallette.

Return to DaVinci Resolve