Da Vinci Resolve 18 -vs- 19

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

eager to learn

Da Vinci Resolve 18 -vs- 19

PostTue May 07, 2024 3:10 pm

Hi All... I haven't used DR Free since our CAT 5 Hurricane Ian almost 2 years ago as our building was destroyed. I downloaded the DR Free Beta 19 is that the advisable version to install? I used version 18 last.

It seemed to download and install but when I visit Windows 11 list of programs and see Black Magic it just lists Raw Player Raw Speed Test - no DR.exe so I'm not sure how to launch DR or what to drag on to the Windows screen as a desktop icon?

Thank you.

roger.magnusson

Re: Da Vinci Resolve 18 -vs- 19

PostTue May 07, 2024 3:24 pm

When running the installer on Windows you need to use an account that has administrator rights. After the installation you can use any account.

eager to learn

PostWed May 08, 2024 3:22 pm

I installed DR Free under Admin and the icon appears on that Admin Windows desktop as an icon.

But, when I log out of that Admin and log in under regular User there is no DR icon and in the Start menu listing of programs I see Black Magic listed but under that I just See Raw, Raw Player and then hen I try to install DR under User I get error messages.

I've installed many free, open source applications under User with no problems so I'm not sure what's going wrong here?

Thank you.

Jim Simon

PostWed May 08, 2024 8:01 pm

Run from the Admin account. Things just work better.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

eager to learn

PostWed May 08, 2024 8:47 pm

We don't want regular users to have access to the Admin area as they could delete programs, etc.

Isn't there a way to install DR on both Admin and regular user?

I was able to do that with Open Shot and Audacity.

Thanks.

ZRGARDNE

PostThu May 09, 2024 2:23 am

eager to learn wrote: I downloaded the DR Free Beta 19 is that the advisable version to install? I used version 18 last.

Its beta, if you want a toy to play with V19 is the way to go. If you have actual work to do, that seems a poor choice.

V19 does offer a lot of cool looking features and I am excited to move to it in 6 months or so when it is stable.

I am on V18 presently, I was excited for the dialogue tools added, but turns out they aren't really fully baked and are fixed in V19. I don't care about subtitles.

So unless you need one of the few features added in V18, I would recommend V17.4.6. It was rock stable for me. Sadly I can't go back now.

Jim Simon

PostThu May 09, 2024 2:09 pm

eager to learn wrote:We don't want regular users to have access to the Admin area as they could delete programs, etc.
Nevertheless...for doing THIS work on a Windows machine, I do think Admin accounts are the best recipe for overall success.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Return to DaVinci Resolve