Exposure Compensation for Bee Time Lapse?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

TheWaterbug

Exposure Compensation for Bee Time Lapse?

PostTue May 07, 2024 5:12 pm

Here are the results of my time-lapse-footage-to-date of my bees building comb in their hive box:

The time-lapse video is compiled from a directory full of JPGs via ffmpeg:

ffmpeg -pattern_type glob -i '*.jpg' -vf "drawtext=text='%{metadata\\:DateTimeOriginal}': fontfile=/System/Library/Fonts/Helvetica.ttc:fontcolor=white: fontsize=72: x=(w-text_w)*0.01: y=(h-text_h)*0.98" -y video/CombLapseWithTimeStamp.mp4

Despite I’m using a dSLR with fixed shutter speed and aperture, in a closed box, there’s still a lot of exposure variation throughout the sequence.

Can DaVinci Resolve equalize/normalize the exposure values throughout the video? It would be even better if that exposure value could be normalized to some region-of-interest, e.g. the static parts of the images that have no bees or comb.

Thanks!

Mads Johansen

Re: Exposure Compensation for Bee Time Lapse?

PostTue May 07, 2024 5:52 pm

The Blackmagic way is to buy Studio and get the Deflicker OpenFX.

Since you have ffmpeg, have you looked at https://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-filters.html#deflicker ?
Davinci Resolve Studio 19B2 Build 25, Windows 11, Nvidia 3060 TI, 552.22 Studio

bentheanimator

PostTue May 07, 2024 6:07 pm

Here's a Fusion way to go about it. This is done in an older/better version but the tools all work the same.

Resolve & Fusion Studio 19b2
Windows 11
Intel 12900K @ 5.1GHz | 32GB RAM | RTX4090

MacOS 12.7.2
MacBook Pro 13,3 | 16GB | Radeon 460 4GB | 256GB System | 256GB Scratch

TheWaterbug

PostWed May 08, 2024 8:44 pm

Mads Johansen wrote:The Blackmagic way is to buy Studio and get the Deflicker OpenFX.

Since you have ffmpeg, have you looked at https://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-filters.html#deflicker ?

Ah, thank you! I was searching for anything related to "exposure" and didn't realize it was called deflickering.

I'm experimenting with this, and it does improve things in some cases, but it also makes it worse in other cases.

I also want to match the exposure value to some reference, so I think I want to try betheanimator's suggestion. But I'll keep deflicker in my hip pocket, as I'm sure it will come in handy in the future.

TheWaterbug

PostWed May 08, 2024 8:45 pm

bentheanimator wrote:Here's a Fusion way to go about it. This is done in an older/better version but the tools all work the same.

Thanks! It will take me awhile to grok this, but it seems like it's what I want to do.

Return to DaVinci Resolve