still capture without interruption of file naming possible ?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

DBenz003

still capture without interruption of file naming possible ?

PostTue May 07, 2024 10:17 pm

Hi,
It strikes me that with the ability to frame by frame as well as speed up play forwards and backwards, DVR would be ideal for stills capture, but I dont want to be naming a still each time its made.
I need to make many, extracting key moments from historical footage, deleting the not so good grabs afterwards.
VLC Media player as well as Jaksta I have Q key as stills, and I can hit it bang bang bang and the stills get made and saved, no file naming involved, vital to capturing a sudden flurry of good frames.
The destination is pre made in settings/preferences. The name is a frame number and date, so each is unique and ok for windows etc.

Whilst other players do stills capture, if one misses a moment where something good occurs, going back a few frames is not possible, drag the slider and despite being careful one has to watch the last 2 minutes all over again, only to perhaps miss the moment again, and watch 2 mins a second time !

so can DaVinci make stills captures without asking for file names ?

THIS WOULD BE ABSOLUTELY USEFUL BEYOND WHAT WORDS CAN EXPRESS !

I have found that if I video an object then make stills bang bang bang etc, I can use them for Photogrammetry, far easier than wearing out the camera taking 300 images of one statue !

DBenz003

Jim Simon

Re: still capture without interruption of file naming possib

PostTue May 07, 2024 10:22 pm

File>Export>Current Frame as Still...

(You can assign a shortcut. I use F5.)
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Marc Wielage

Re: still capture without interruption of file naming possib

PostWed May 08, 2024 3:31 am

DBenz003 wrote:THIS WOULD BE ABSOLUTELY USEFUL BEYOND WHAT WORDS CAN EXPRESS !

Well, there is a way to automatically name Gallery Stills with the timeline timecode. So even though it's not a description, at least it tells you *when* that shot happened in the show.
Certified DaVinci Resolve Color Trainer • AdvancedColorTraining.com

Return to DaVinci Resolve