More screwy things

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

JimCricket

More screwy things

PostWed May 08, 2024 12:47 am

Can anyone please explain either of these occurances?

Right now I'm trying to close Resolve. But I want to save the project before I do. But it won't save. I have a red "Edited" notice showing, and no matter whether I click cmd-S or use the File/Save menu, it just won't save. I thought of trying "Save as" but when I do that nothing pops up for me to save it as anything.

I then got nerve to close Resolve, thinking it would pop up a "want to save?" menu. It did. I clicked to save. NOTHING HAPPENED. And Resolve didn't close! I would guess that I'm stuck having to force quit Resolve.

I do have Live Save turned on. But I have no idea when it last saved.

This isnt the end of the world. I didn't really do much edits today, and I have a back up from yesterday. But what is going on? I did do a few things now that I simply cant save.

EDIT: I'm seeing that this is a known problem with known resolutions. I've tried quite a few now and nothing is working.

I just took drastic action. I force quit Resolve and reopened. I half expected the project not to open, but it did. And my work for today is gone. Luckily it wasn't all that much.

Is this really the program that professionals use in Hollywood?
-----

The other thing has been happening for quite awhile. I am regularly using the inspector to move a clip (a cartoon character that I have "green screened" so that only the character appears against a separate background) into a particular position. And when I change the x and y values, I will see the character move accordingly. But then without my doing anything other than needing to change the values a little more, the character doesn't move. I have to move it blindly, then move the play head away from that part of the timeline, move it back and then I will see the new position. If I play around with it (I haven't figured out exactly how I'm doing it) I can get it back to where I can see the character move again. But then at some random period of time, it will happen again.

I know ALL of this might sound like a memory issue, but this is with 64gb of Ram and I'm really not doing anything intensive. The only Fusion thing I'm doing is "Delta Key". I've tried deleting unused render cache, but that didn't resolve anything.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: More screwy things

PostWed May 08, 2024 2:12 am

Could you let us know which OS and exact Resolve version you are using?
Also, is your project library a local, network or cloud?
If local, is this library on your system drive?
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

JimCricket

PostWed May 08, 2024 3:09 am

Sorry, I should have thought of putting in stats.
Mac Monterey 12.4
Macbook Pro M1 Max 64gb ram
Local on system drive

Davinci Resolve 18.1.3 Build 8

I might add that this inability to save is the first time it has ever happened.

The thing about not being able to see the clip move has been happening off and on over the past couple of months.

I've been using Resolve 18 for about a year.

Marc Wielage

PostWed May 08, 2024 3:18 am

JimCricket wrote:Can anyone please explain either of these occurances? Right now I'm trying to close Resolve. But I want to save the project before I do. But it won't save. I have a red "Edited" notice showing, and no matter whether I click cmd-S or use the File/Save menu, it just won't save. I thought of trying "Save as" but when I do that nothing pops up for me to save it as anything.

Here's a possible workaround:

1) select the entire timeline and copy it to the clipboard

2) go to the Project Manager and create a new empty project

3) go to a new timeline and PASTE the contents of the clipboard. Save this as your temporary project. This will at least save the work you've done so far.

If you want to try to keep your current project alive, try this:

1) go to the Project Manager and check and see when was the last time your old project saved. If it's a few hours ago, that's not good.

2) from within the old project, try creating a new empty Timeline. Sometimes, this gives Resolve kind of a "kick" and it'll begin saving again.

3) if that doesn't work, select the old project's timeline and see if it will let you Export a copy of the timeline as a DRT file. If it says, "you have to save the project first," I do not know a way to get out of that error loop.

"In theory," your new backup project should work. If you have other timelines going on, you'll need to copy those one at a time, assuming the session will let you change timelines.
Certified DaVinci Resolve Color Trainer • AdvancedColorTraining.com

JimCricket

PostWed May 08, 2024 10:53 am

Hi Marc,

I should have thought of copying and pasting the timeline.

I had tried #2, creating the empty timeline, but that didn't work. I also opened a second project (I think you might have suggested that to someone awhile back) but that didn't work.

I was able to export the timeline to a DRT. I did try importing it, but nothing happened! I figured Resolve figured "Why are you importing something already open?" But I can try with a new project.

As it is, I lost patience and force quit the whole shebang. When I reopened, the work I had done was gone, but I tested it, and I could do a save now. I didn't lose all that much work, and the work I had done was just a test to see my days animation work (on paper!!!).

One video I was watching about this suggested something that hit me. He believed it happened when you leave Resolve and a project open for a period of time without doing any work on it. That's exactly what I've been doing.

Thanks for your input.

JimCricket

PostWed May 08, 2024 11:26 pm

Okay so I haven't opened up Resolve or the project since yesterday.

Everything opened up fine, although now my dual monitor setup is once again messed up even though I saved the workspace as a preset, but I guess that's a different story.

No backups were made yesterday at all. And so far no backups are being made today.

I did a few short edits, and didn't see the red edited notification appear. I had turned off Live Save yesterday, so it seems to me that it should. But I was regularly clicking cmd-s regularly.

I closed down Resolve and reopened it and all my edits had been saved.

As I continue to work no "Edited" notification pops up. Yet it seems to be saving. What am I supposed to think of that?

Marc Wielage

PostThu May 09, 2024 3:01 am

JimCricket wrote:As I continue to work no "Edited" notification pops up. Yet it seems to be saving. What am I supposed to think of that?

There's so many possibilities, I'm hard pressed to be able to write down all of them in a forum message.

Did you ever back up the session? Why not turn on auto-backup? Do you have Live Save turned on? What happens when you copy all the clips to another timeline? Does the LAST MODIFIED time/date change when you save the project? If it doesn't I'd say there's a good chance it's not being saved. If the time DOES change to the current time, then I'd say it's saving. I don't even think of saving -- I just trust it to work. I never look at the "Edited" flag -- I'm too busy trying to plow through the session.

All of this stuff works for me. I try to be fairly paranoid and careful and manually save a few times during each session, and I make daily backups (sometimes twice if it's a client supervised session). If I've done 250 sessions a year for 14 years, that'd be about 3000 sessions. I'm positive I've done more than that, but in all that time, I can only think of maybe 5 occasions where the session has gone south. It's a low average, but it has happened... and in every case, a backup saved me.
Certified DaVinci Resolve Color Trainer • AdvancedColorTraining.com

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostThu May 09, 2024 8:10 am

JimCricket wrote:Okay so I haven't opened up Resolve or the project since yesterday.

Everything opened up fine, although now my dual monitor setup is once again messed up even though I saved the workspace as a preset, but I guess that's a different story.

---- ?

Can you turn off all your screen saver and sleep modes and test again?
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

JimCricket

PostThu May 09, 2024 10:49 am

I don't have any screen saver, but I can check sleep modes.

But I learned somewhere that Resolve prevents a computer from going to sleep. No?

(I've rebooted twice since the first event.)

I should add now that no backups are happening at all. I also changed the backup settings in hopes that it might kind of kick start it into working, but no dice.

EDIT: new information as I was adjusting the power settings.
I do have a screen saver, but I've never noticed it before because it never came on! I've turned it off now.

Also, I had made a copy of the project yesterday, in lieu of having the backups working. And this morning discovered that one backup was written for it yesterday. I don't know what that means, other than technically it is both working and not working. :D

AND While I was working on the project just now, I saw the backup thing pop up and save a back up. I checked, and there is now a new backup written.

So what does this mean? Must I have all the power settings off all the time? But Resolve has worked just fine before, saving backups, with them turned on. As it did yesterday, when the project copy.

Return to DaVinci Resolve