Quick question about stabalization.

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Thijs van Daalen

Quick question about stabalization.

PostWed May 08, 2024 10:03 am

The stabilization tool in DR is awesome and I use it a lot.
Now, I've seen a comment under a post/thread where someone claimed that it's better to select ONE clip, then stabilize, instead of selecting a bunch of clips and batch stabilizing them. I can't remember where and what exactly he said, but he claimed that there's a lot of modes (like 10+ modes outside of the three options in the stabilization menu: perspective etc..) that the system uses to stabilize your clip. It chooses what mode is the best for your clip. He then claimed it doesn't do that when batch stabilizing. It just gives every clip the same mode which results in a imprecise and mediocre stabilization.
Maybe I remember it wrong, but it's been stuck in my mind for a while because I used to select a bunch of clips and stabilizing them all together. Since I've read that post I have been stabilizing only one clip at a time because I thought it's better to be safe than sorry.

But this takes a very long time whenever your project has 100+clips.

So can someone help me out and fact check this? Is it safe to select 10+ clips and stabilizing them all together?

Best,
Thijs
Dell Precision 3660
12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-12900K | 3.20 GHz | 32,0 GB
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
Windows 11 Pro
Resolve 18.6

Hendrik Proosa

Re: Quick question about stabalization.

PostWed May 08, 2024 10:14 am

Thijs van Daalen wrote:It chooses what mode is the best for your clip.

Never heard of this being automatic in any way, you must choose the method yourself.

This is not a "safe/unsafe" area. Stabilization either works for you as you desire or it doesn't. If it doesn't, then you can try different modes and whatnot.
I do stuff

Thijs van Daalen

PostWed May 08, 2024 10:38 am

Hendrik Proosa wrote:Never heard of this being automatic in any way, you must choose the method yourself.

This is not a "safe/unsafe" area. Stabilization either works for you as you desire or it doesn't. If it doesn't, then you can try different modes and whatnot.

Thank you for your reply.

To make things a little bit clearer,
The comment under the thread said something along the lines that outside of the three modes, which are perspective, similarity and translation, there are multiple ways in which the system reads/processes the clip. And when selecting multiple clips, it reads every clip the same.
So he claimed that batch stabilizing gives a different result then stabilizing clip for clip.

I haven't noticed any difference but I just wanted to be sure.

But you're right that you should always check if the stabilization is to your liking.
Dell Precision 3660
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
Windows 11 Pro
Resolve 18.6

Hendrik Proosa

PostWed May 08, 2024 1:38 pm

Thijs van Daalen wrote:The comment under the thread said...

It would be nice if you can dig out the original comment. A lot has been said in this forum, not everything is gold, whoever said it.
I do stuff

Thijs van Daalen

PostWed May 08, 2024 1:57 pm

I'll try to find it. I believe it was a thread on reddit though..
Dell Precision 3660
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
Windows 11 Pro
Resolve 18.6

robodog1

• Warnings: 1

PostWed May 08, 2024 4:44 pm

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0061921/

as a retired 73 year old man who worked in film in nyc as a dolly grip a lot of times, I have to ask you if you can avoid the need to stabilize stuff to begin with. I think it's a valid question although it doesn't address your need to stabilize in post.
I now use a bmpcc 4k with a tripod and sachtler fluid head for dslr, and don't hand hold cameras to try and get smooth footage ... and never had a steadicam etc....

I guess my point is a question. Can you make less shaky footage to begin with so you don't have to rely on post magic to stabilize footage ??

Thijs van Daalen

PostWed May 15, 2024 8:28 am

robodog1 wrote:I guess my point is a question. Can you make less shaky footage to begin with so you don't have to rely on post magic to stabilize footage ??

Thank you for your reply! That's some cool movies you worked on! :D
I totally agree with you on this. Stabilization is something I try not to use. But I was working on a project that consists of some compilation-like video's where each clip is in slow-motion and around 1-2 seconds long. To make them extra smooth I figured I can put some stabilization on it. Maybe it wasn't needed, force of habit...
Dell Precision 3660
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
Windows 11 Pro
Resolve 18.6

Return to DaVinci Resolve