Removing falling snow / passing detritus

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

jack_zwykle

Removing falling snow / passing detritus

PostWed May 08, 2024 12:55 pm

Hello and apologies for asking basic questions, but I am completely new to Resolve and after 3 days investigating not much closer to solving a niche problem:

I have a lot of shots to process in Scuba where there's plankton / detritus suspended in water in front of the subject and moving across the shot in front of the subject with camera movements.

Since Temporal NR in Resolve has max of 5 frames scope it doesn't catch those points as they move too slow (try moving fast underwater ;) ).

Is there any approach to widen the Temporal NR to 10-20 frames or another approach I'm not aware of to remove such multiple objects moving in front of the relatively static subject (could also be falling snow removal?).

Thank you very much!

Jack

Jim Simon

Re: Removing falling snow / passing detritus

PostWed May 08, 2024 8:15 pm

Oh, man. I'm thinking the time you will spend on this won't be worth it. Better to just swim somewhere else and get another shot.

I can't think of any automated way to do this. You would need a mask for every single piece of plankton.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

KrunoSmithy

PostWed May 08, 2024 10:26 pm

jack_zwykle wrote:Hello and apologies for asking basic questions, but I am completely new to Resolve and after 3 days investigating not much closer to solving a niche problem:

I have a lot of shots to process in Scuba where there's plankton / detritus suspended in water in front of the subject and moving across the shot in front of the subject with camera movements.

Since Temporal NR in Resolve has max of 5 frames scope it doesn't catch those points as they move too slow (try moving fast underwater ;) ).

Is there any approach to widen the Temporal NR to 10-20 frames or another approach I'm not aware of to remove such multiple objects moving in front of the relatively static subject (could also be falling snow removal?).

Thank you very much!

Jack

If you can post a quick sample of it, I have some ideas how to solve it, but I would prefer to have sample footage to see it and test it first, its that is something you are willing to share. Also do you have a free version or studio version of resolve? There are some tools in studio version that could be helpful.

In color page you can try Resolve FX Revival category of OpenFX.

The Automatic Dirt Removal plugin uses optical flow technology to target and repair temporally unstable bits of dust, dirt, hair, tape hits, and other unwanted artifacts that last for one or two frames and then disappear. All repairs are made while maintaining structurally consistent detail in the underlying frame, resulting in a high quality restoration of the image. Fortunately, despite its sophistication, this is a relatively easy plugin to use; just drop the plugin on a shot, adjust the parameters for the best results, and watch it go.

EDIT: Actually I think this is the one. I just tried it on some marine snow footage. The Automatic Dirt Removal is probably the one to try.

sshot-3695.jpg
sshot-3695.jpg (107.64 KiB) Viewed 272 times

sshot-3694.jpg
sshot-3694.jpg (112.59 KiB) Viewed 272 times

Dust Buster (Studio Version Only)

This plugin is also designed to eliminate dust, dirt, and other imperfections and artifacts from clips, but it does so only with user guidance, for clips where the Automatic Dirt Removal plugin yields unsatisfactory results. This guidance consists of moving through the clip frame-by-frame and drawing boxes around imperfections you want to eliminate. Once you’ve drawn a box, the offending imperfection is auto-magically eliminated in the most seamless way possible. This works well for dirt and dust, but it also works for really big stains and blotches.

There are some third party plug ins like neat video that could work well, but there are also free tools in Fusion that could be the solution. If you post a sample, I'll give it a try.

Igor Riđanović

PostThu May 09, 2024 4:11 am

Try Neat Video plugin.
www.metafide.com - DaVinci Resolve™ Apps

jack_zwykle

PostThu May 09, 2024 10:12 pm

Hello Kruno, wow and thank you!

It's an amazing community.

If you can post a quick sample of it, I have some ideas how to solve it,

You posted a perfect example in the edit - whitish marine snow / debris. EXACTLY the same.
As for looking for another shot - not really. Those are sequences of deep divers on rebreathers interacting with an octopus in a way that so far I haven't seen observed/published. They are very rare and hard to take.
I'm very happy I can improve them to be publishable.

Also do you have a free version or studio version of resolve?

Full Studio, I've read it provides significantly higher functionality.

In color page you can try Resolve FX Revival category of OpenFX.

EDIT: Actually I think this is the one. I just tried it on some marine snow footage. The Automatic Dirt Removal is probably the one to try.

Great results, thank you!!!

While not perfect - it's VASTLY improved, thank you!

Kacl

KrunoSmithy

PostFri May 10, 2024 2:41 pm

jack_zwykle wrote:
Great results, thank you!!!

While not perfect - it's VASTLY improved, thank you!

Kacl

No problem. With more skill and time, various tools and methods in Fusion could probably resolve any problems you might have, but for quick and easy approach, automatic dirt removal is the one to try. Good luck.

Return to DaVinci Resolve