Google Drive To Store Originals?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

erik@thecovernetwork.com

Google Drive To Store Originals?

PostWed May 08, 2024 1:21 pm

Does anyone have the how to for using Google Drive to integrate into Divinci Resolve? My goal is to share files between another person and then be able to render the final using the originals from google cloud is this possible?

In the end I just dont want to have originals on two computers and have to transfer the files from one computer to another to fully render out on 1 computer looking for a shared host to house all the original files.

Is this possible?

Jim Simon

Re: Google Drive To Store Originals?

PostThu May 09, 2024 2:53 pm

For that work flow, I think you should look into using a Cloud Library.

Generally speaking, generic Cloud services like Google Drive, Dropbox, One Drive, etc. are good for transferring files, but those files should always be moved out of the Cloud folder before being imported into Resolve. (So yes, using those generic services, you would need a copy on each machine.)
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Mads Johansen

PostThu May 09, 2024 8:23 pm

Have you looked into the products Blackmagic offers for this explicit use case?
In terms of relevance (in my opinion):
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... iccloudpod
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... dstoremini
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... cclouddock
Davinci Resolve Studio 19B2 Build 25, Windows 11, Nvidia 3060 TI, 552.22 Studio

visualfeast

PostThu May 09, 2024 8:51 pm

For the past 3 years we've edited almost all of our projects directly from Google Drive (Enterprise) storage.

For a smooth edit everyone on the team needs to assign the Google Drive app to the same drive letter (not sure how it works on mixed Win/Mac situations--we're all on Windows).

Then, for the current project(s) being edited, right-click whatever folders you need in Drive and change Offline Access to Available Offline. This forces them to stay on the local computer. Alternatively you can change the preferences of Drive to "Mirror" instead of "Stream" and all Drive files will be local & cloud.

Note by default your Google Drive size is limited to the size of your Windows drive. You can also change the caching drive in Drive Preferences to use a faster drive if needed, but ours are all PCIe so haven't messed with that.

After the project is done, you can swap that Offline Access toggle and Drive will release them after you haven't touched them for a while.

We export to the Drive as well, which when linked to Vimeo gives an instant transfer of the video instead of normal uploading.
•Ryzen 5950x/64G/103TB RAID/4080 Super FE/Intensity Pro 4K/2x PA278CGV/U2415/Shogun 7/HPE LTO-6/Stream Deck XL
•ZBook 17 G3/64G/Quadro M5000M
•Inspiron 16+/32G/RTX3060
Resolve Studio v18.1.4 (x2)/Windows 10 Pro 22H2

Return to DaVinci Resolve