[support] Audio is only playing through TV speakers

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

shumm0

[support] Audio is only playing through TV speakers

PostWed May 08, 2024 5:33 pm

Issue: Audio is reportedly not working through the controller. Sound is only coming out of the TV only.

Troubleshooting done: We changed the audio output on the Mac to Blackmagic and matched the Premiere 2024 settings to those of a know working edit bay. We opened DaVinci Resolve, started a new project, set the video I/O to Blackmagic, and the audio I/O to default, as there was no option for Blackmagic.

The project played audio through the Genelec speakers, as did the Mac and Premiere. I opened an editor's project in DaVinci Resolve, which played audio through the TV speakers. I attempted to rewire the HDMI and SDI cables directly from the Blackmagic, successfully playing audio from the Mac, Premiere, and a new project in DaVinci Resolve. However, I was unable to route audio from a recent editor's project to the Genelec speakers; it still played through the TV speakers. Since DaVinci Resolve does not offer an option to set the audio I/O to Blackmagic, it continues to route audio through HDMI to the TV. Additionally, we upgraded the Blackmagic software, but this did not resolve the issue with previous projects.

Andy Mees

Re: [support] Audio is only playing through TV speakers

PostWed May 08, 2024 6:26 pm

shumm0 wrote:set the video I/O to Blackmagic, and the audio I/O to default, as there was no option for Blackmagic.
Which specific Blackmagic I/O device are you using?
And what Audio I/O device are you using ie what are your Genelecs connected to?

Please post screenshot(s) showing all your DaVinci Resolve Preferences >> System > Video and Audio I/O settings, that may shed a light on what is potentially misconfigured.
shumm0 wrote:Since DaVinci Resolve does not offer an option to set the audio I/O to Blackmagic
The Blackmagic device driver is called 'Desktop Video' ... you should see that in your Audio I/O Engine options. Personally, my setup is currently configured to use System Audio as the I/O Engine, and with the Video I/O setting 'Mirror audio I/O engine output' enabled so as to route that audio to my Decklink card's SDI output. I de-embed the audio on the SDI output to feed my Genelecs.

Return to DaVinci Resolve