Lowest Track Visible First

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

AdamOlson

Lowest Track Visible First

PostWed May 08, 2024 9:52 pm

Is it possible to make the lowest video track in DaVinci Resolve be the one you see first? I know this goes against every video, flash, photo, and layering software, but I would like to keep my main video track close to the audio that is attached to it, and when I have so many tracks under it, it becomes difficult to see how they line up.

If there are other workarounds like track dividers or something, that would be great.
Mac mini 2023
Applel M2 Pro
32 GB RAM
macOS 14.2.1
DaVinci Resolve 18.6.4

shestakov.video

Re: Lowest Track Visible First

PostWed May 08, 2024 10:28 pm

Hello, Adam, I can suggest the workflow I use myself.

When you right click on the track you can select "Move track up" or "Move track down". I created custom shortcuts for these actions - I don't know why they don't work with video tracks, but with audio.- perfectly (and usually I don't need to move my video tracks around). You first need to select audio track (just by clicking on it) and then use the shortcut

This way I can always lift necessary audio tracks to the position close to video tracks when needed. And it's nice to have multiple audio tracks specifically designed for the project need (music, live scratch, fx etc.)

Hope my tip was useful to you
Macbook M3 Pro
18 Gb
Sonoma 14.4.1

AdamOlson

Re: Lowest Track Visible First

PostWed May 08, 2024 10:51 pm

shestakov.video wrote:Hello, Adam, I can suggest the workflow I use myself.
When you right click on the track you can select "Move track up" or "Move track down". I created custom shortcuts for these actions - I don't know why they don't work with video tracks, but with audio.- perfectly (and usually I don't need to move my video tracks around). You first need to select audio track (just by clicking on it) and then use the shortcut

Thank you for the help. I had to use Keyboard Maestro to do the move track up but it only works for a track named Spare 2 so modify it however you need it.

It would be great when you show two timelines if you could show the same timeline since that would solve a lot of the issue but that is not possible either. I have a dozen video tracks and even moving my audio to the top still puts it too far away from the video in the timeline. I want to see those other video tracks since I pull from them otherwise I would just drag the line right next to it.

I appreciate your help and the reminder of the keyboard shorcuts for audio.
Attachments
DaVinci Resolve Macros.kmmacros.zip
(34.96 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
Mac mini 2023
Applel M2 Pro
32 GB RAM
macOS 14.2.1
DaVinci Resolve 18.6.4

Return to DaVinci Resolve